Christian Beta Readers discussion

J.L. Spanj
This topic is about J.L. Spanj
Authors Posting Books > Looking for Beta Readers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Rae | 1 comments I am about to publish a Children's book and need some Beta Readers. It is the second in the series and has a mild Christian theme that I am trying to encourage non-believing families to read. It's titled, "Don't Be Sassin' The Moose" which is teach kids not to sass and to be true to yourself instead of trying to blend in with your peers. Contact me at jlspanj@mail.com and thanks!

message 2: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 21 comments I have a reasonably well-polished draft ready for beta-read.

It is set in the year 2036, and posits an archaeological dig in Galilee that turns up a document written in Aramaic around the year 40 A.D. This is a collection of 'The Sayings of Jesus', and looks very much like it might be the basis for the much-theorised 'Q' document used by Luke and Matthew in writing their Gospels.

But there are some ambiguous parts in it which provoke passionate arguments.

Following a hunch, another series of digs finds two skeletons, one of which might or might not be of Jesus. You can imagine those arguments!

All this is used by others to promote their own agendas, not least being by all sides in an attempt to resolve the Palestinian Question.

But the book is not about the archaeology or even the Faith. It is about how everyone cherry-picks whatever evidence suits their own agenda. At the end of the book it is still not clear whether or not this whole series of discoveries is fraudulent or genuine, and if genuine exactly what it means.

message 3: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 21 comments G'day all!

I'm open as a free Beta for adult (age not sexuality!) fiction in general, except that romance is not my strong suit. My preference is semi-mainline, by which i mean not overtly Christian but which raises questions that impinge on the faith.

I'm still looking for a Beta for 'Bones', as requested above on May 30. Please form an orderly queue.

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Pereira (daniruy) | 3 comments Hello everyone!

I need some poetry beta readers. My book will be published next year by an American publisher and it is a devotional experience of Lent in poetry. It's been already copyedited and I am almost done with my final manuscript. It covers the period of Lent, Passiontide and Holy Week, with a poem for each day. It's focused on imagery. So much so I had called it "Pictures of Lent", but am prone now to change the title for "Sunset and Blizzard" - but I don't know yet.

Anyways, although it's a collection of about 50 poems, it shouldn't take long to read - by my calculations, two hours on a sit-down.

I need some feedback about the experiences and images the book tries to communicate. Also, since I speak English as a second language

So, if you are:

1. A Christian (of any background, protestant, catholic, evangelical, orthodox - I mean any)
2. Interested in poetry (free-form, rhyme, visual and even epic)
3. Willing to read this before the others.

Please, answer me here.

In Christ,

Daniel Ruy Pereira.

message 5: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 21 comments Daniel wrote: "Hello everyone!

I need some poetry beta readers. My book will be published next year by an American publisher and it is a devotional experience of Lent in poetry. It's been already copyedited and ..."

Hi Daniel,

I'm certainly interested. I've studied a couple of the classic English poets (Hopkins, Donne, etc), but not too much modern stuff.

But I won't promise to get through your book in a single session as you suggest. If the poetry is any good at all I would like to savour it. I would also expect to do at least some of the better poems (perhaps most?) the honour of a careful analysis as part of the beta-read report. Any not-so-good can expect to be criticised in their particulars. Speaking the Truth in Love at all times, of course!

If you can allow me the time, I woulds be very interested.

My background is a bit eclectic; a degree in Theology, generally mainstream Protestant but with an appreciation of Catholic spirituality and mysticism, First Level English pass in University entrance exam but studied Engineering instead.

bspringett@iprimus.com.au

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Pereira (daniruy) | 3 comments Hi Tito!

Thank you so much for your kind offer. It's alright if you take your time with the book - the idea is for the reader to read one poem per day, because I envisioned it as a devotional for Lent, and I hope to publish it just in time for the season. It combines biblical quotes with the Book of Common Prayer quotes as well.

Most of the poems in the book are written in a Brazilian style called 'cordel' - especially the last three sessions. The style is metric, with seven poetic syllables and seven verses in a stanza, mostly rhymed but with some free verses to break the feeling. I love that style, but I think it would be something new to you - and I am REALLY excited to learn what will be your impressions of it. That's because I haven't heard of an author trying that style before. I also put some haiku here and there.

The idea is to tell a big story about the realisation of sin, regret, repent and salvation - culminating with the Passiontide and Holy Week, in which I retell the Passion story from the perspective of the plants mentioned in the Gospels.

Now, later today I will send you the file - I am just finishing tweaking it a little bit. Feel free to write any comments on it, or email me.

Your feedback will be much appreciated. Also, I understand you still need some beta readers for your science fiction project. Since that is my favourite genre I might be able to help. I wrote a science fiction myself last November, but I will leave it buried for a while!

Thank you so much!

Daniel Ruy Pereira.

message 7: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 21 comments Daniel wrote: "Hi Tito!

Thank you so much for your kind offer. It's alright if you take your time with the book - the idea is for the reader to read one poem per day, because I envisioned it as a devotional for..."

Thanks, Daniel.

Already I'm salivating. I love the language of the BCP and my own (feeble) attempts at poetry were strong on structure, so the exercise is looking even more attractive.

I stand by my poota, waiting for your email.

Bob

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Pereira (daniruy) | 3 comments Bob, I've just sent the email with the file. Thank you so much for doing this. God bless you a lot.