What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book set in 1600s. Historical Fiction. Kids kidnapped by grandfather and uncle who disapprove of fathers Puritan religion. Father returns to rescue.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Bailey | 1 comments I read this book in approx 1990 but it was old then, probably dates from 1950s? I assume it is set in the 1600s as that is when the Puritan migration to the States happened.

A group of children (3?) are held captive by their autocratic grandfather in a large English manor house, with the help of their cavalier Uncle (Ingram I think). The father is a puritan (or similar) and the grandfather disapproves of this religion and wants to capture him and force him to recant I suppose - not clear on detail here. The father is the oldest son and was supposed to be the heir. The father does return for his children of course and knows a lot of secret passages etc about the house from his own childhood. With the help of this knowledge he plans to rescue his children. Near the end the uncle discovers the plot and could foil it but has a change of heart and decides to help them escape and ends up coming with them bound for America.

message 2: by Ayshe (last edited Jun 11, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

Ayshe | 4324 comments Someone on AbeBooks.com BookSleuth has suggested Good Ship "Red Lily" (Republished as "Flight to Freedom"). Looking at a review on amazon, it seems to match.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40625 comments Mod
Jonathan, was your book "Good Ship Red Lily" or are you still looking?