Amazon exiles discussion

Voting threads > Theme 179 - 'Say I'm Your No.1' - your favourite song which topped the nation's (BBC, of course) charts. simple as - Tech - VOTING (closes Sunday 3rd 10pm)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by theDuke (last edited May 27, 2018 03:24PM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Remaining R9 themes:

180. Tell me sweet little lies. (Untruths) in the title or lyrics - Jemma
181. Songs with U.S. towns or cities in the title - TheFoe
182. Songs whose lyrics mention other musicians by name - KJS
183. Song Titles & Lyrics about Cakes and Baking (other Desserts can be included too)
184. Title refers to a crime. - SussexWelsh
185. Wildcard Round 5 - Any song you like, specifically new or seldom heard songs (originally an idea by Val)

New R10 Themes nominations:

186. A track that fits YOUR definition of pure, aesthetic beauty - Val
187. 'Groovy Grocer!' Song titles with a fruit &/or veg in them - theDuke
188. The last word: Final tracks from albums (original album final tracks, no bonus tracks from re-releases, please), however, 'hidden' tracks at the end of original albums are allowed along with the 'official' last track. - nominated by Fishy Jim
189. Songs with titles that feature a musical instrument - Helen
190. Songs with rhymes in either the title eg Floy Joy or band name eg Haysi Fantaysi, Milli Vanilli (oh dear, sounded better until I had to think of examples!), etc - nominated by Brass Neck
191. Bands/solo artists from Sheffield - nominated by Lez
New noms for R10 now being taken, here's the nominations link:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

For once..no waffle from me tonight, except to say, I have taken up the suggestion of putting the closing date for Nominations in the heading, to help those that would like a reminder. I'll change this as we switch from noms to voting stages.

Rightyho..here we go..then....it's the Techmeister turn! 'Say I'm Your No.1' - your favourite song which topped the nation's (BBC, of course) charts. simple as.'

So..straighter than hetrosexual in a gay bar then! Let's 'ave them folks..pretty please! :)

Noms in by Weds 30th 10pm, thank you.

PS..is it me, or has recent nominators been synchronising with both FA & Themes of late? Both mine ran simultaneously in the same week, as was Lez or Val's (I think) a few weeks ago, now Tech's! Woss g'wan there then??!! :)

Ciao!

message 2: by theDuke (last edited May 27, 2018 03:57PM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Okay..i'm gunna get in early with this revolutionary electronic classic, years ahead of it's time, this track paved the way for the electronic bands of the 1980's. This reached the No.1 spot on 23rd July 1977, and stayed there for 4 weeks....& it still gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. This is the original extended version:

I Feel Love - Donna Summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2qI6...

message 3: by TheFoe (last edited May 27, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

TheFoe | 2157 comments After Duke

A one hit wonder from 1997, always reminded me a bit of Buggles 'Video Killed The Radio Star' with the vocals. Stayed at number one for a solitary week, the Teletubbies managed two and Aqua's 'Barbie managed four weeks, ffs!

I Feel Love - Donna Summer (1977)
Your Woman - White Town (1997)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OMEW...

I've put the years in with the songs/artists for quick reference. Just curious to see which decade at a quick glance has most nominations, If people don't want to follow suit that's cool. :-)

message 4: by theDuke (last edited May 27, 2018 05:16PM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Well...at least it managed to keep them off the top spot Nick...think how Midge Ure feels, when Ultravox's Vienna was kept at No.2 by........Joe Dolce's Shaddap You Face! Give me strength! I'd wonder if somebody tried to do that today...it'll be slammed for racism!

message 5: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2157 comments Slightly confused Duke. White Town kept neither Aqua or the Teletubbies off of top spot. The duration in weeks that they stayed there was 4 weeks and 2 weeks. Agree with you about Joe Dolce though, what a crap song!

message 6: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments efterthefoe,

social commentary grabs the imagination of the nation, this is just brilliant in every way. prefer the 12" but keeping it 'pop',

Ghost Town - The Specials (1981)

https://youtu.be/VXjr92SflTY

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9063 comments TheFoe wrote: "Slightly confused Duke. White Town kept neither Aqua or the Teletubbies off of top spot. The duration in weeks that they stayed there was 4 weeks and 2 weeks. Agree with you about Joe Dolce though,..."

🎶 'What's-a matter you, gotta no respect... Ah, shaddup-a your face' 🎶 😂

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9063 comments After tech.

I'll take this down if tech says so, as it's not officially on the list; it's pretty common knowledge though that the chart was rigged by the BBC that week to ensure it wasn't on the top during the jubilee!

God Save The Queen - Sex Pistols (1977)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yqrAPOZ...

message 9: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments of course, in the interest of fairness, it's fine, tim!

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9063 comments theDuke wrote: "Well...at least it managed to keep them off the top spot Nick...think how Midge Ure feels, when Ultravox's Vienna was kept at No.2 by........Joe Dolce's Shaddap You Face! Give me strength! I'd wond..."

In today's humourless world you're probably right. Yes the song is awful, but Dolce's heritage is Italian. He nicked some expressions his grandparents used for the song. As far as it kept Vienna off the top, I must admit to a slight satisfaction that glum men in trench coats will weep into their cocktails at the thought. ;-)

message 11: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15737 comments After Tim

From way back in '61, still sounds great to me.

Runaway - Del Shannon (1961)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l74Hh...

message 12: by Jemma (new)

Jemma | 934 comments After Val

It’s A Sin - Pet Shop Boys (1987)

https://youtu.be/J-4gAetwNkw

message 13: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2157 comments 🎶 'What's-a matter you, gotta no respect... Ah, shaddup-a your face' 🎶 😂 Argh! :-)

message 14: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments After Jemma

Everlasting Love - Love Affair (1968)

message 15: by Helen The Melon (new)

Helen The Melon | 2893 comments After Gordon

Inside - Stiltskin (1994)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ssx...

message 16: by theDuke (last edited May 28, 2018 06:32AM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments TheFoe wrote: "Slightly confused Duke. White Town kept neither Aqua or the Teletubbies off of top spot. The duration in weeks that they stayed there was 4 weeks and 2 weeks. Agree with you about Joe Dolce though,..."

Ah..curse my shite sight! Sorry Nick. misread your post, didn't see the word 'weeks'...thought you were saying that was their chart positions! Barbie Girl was a number one?! So many folks have no musical tastes at all! *Shudders*

message 17: by Lez (last edited May 28, 2018 06:26AM) (new)

Lez | 7490 comments After Helen

Perfect Day - Various artists (1997)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dfddYDR...

message 18: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Tim wrote: "theDuke wrote: "Well...at least it managed to keep them off the top spot Nick...think how Midge Ure feels, when Ultravox's Vienna was kept at No.2 by........Joe Dolce's Shaddap You Face! Give me st..."

Whit?! A classic like Vienna!!!! Lord have mercy Tim! :-)

message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9063 comments Duke wrote "Whit?! A classic like Vienna!!!! Lord have mercy Tim! :-)

Mebbe, you can't deny its rather portentous though. ;-)

message 20: by theDuke (last edited May 28, 2018 08:44AM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Tim wrote: "Duke wrote "Whit?! A classic like Vienna!!!! Lord have mercy Tim! :-)

Mebbe, you can't deny its rather portentous though. ;-)"

Well..yeh..mibbe....but I like Morrissey... so erm..I dig morose music! :)

Always amused me that the video wasn't filmed in Vienna at all, but in Covent Garden and some theatre, that's now a Bingo Hall!

message 21: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments They wouldn't have known when they made the video how many copies the record would sell. If they had they might have pushed the boat out and filmed the video somewhere more exotic like Brno or Schwerin, if they didn't mind being followed around by the Stasi.

It's hard to believe the fall of the Berlin wall was still 9 years in the future when that record was released. And Vienna was right on the frontier: 75 km from the Czech border.

message 22: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments I'm actually not sure if I can join in with this one? - LOL!!! I'm not even joking either? - my Mind is just so completely blown away by having so many wonderful choices that I simply can't decide on which one of them to pick out?!! It's just TOO hard, tech! ... HA HA HA!!! ;o>

message 23: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments The Viennese sewers were quite photogenic!

message 24: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Just checked..and i'm pleased to say the Birdie Song only made it to No.2...phew!

message 25: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments 'The Chicken Song' however was a number one for three weeks in 1986 ;oO

message 26: by theDuke (last edited May 28, 2018 08:43AM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments suzysunshine7 wrote: "'The Chicken Song' however was a number one for three weeks in 1986 ;oO"

Not sure I should admit this on a tasteful music thread..but as a kid..i loved the Chicken Song!

🎶🎶"Hoooold a chicken in the air
Stick a deckchair up your nose
Buy a jumbo jet
And then bury all your clothes
Paint your left knee green
Then extract your wisdom teeth
Form a string quartet
And pretend your name is Keith !"🎶🎶

Shall I just get my coat, now?! :)

message 27: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments ... Yes !

message 28: by KJS (last edited May 28, 2018 08:55AM) (new)

KJS | 5260 comments After Johnny

Too hard to choose one so I will go with the last number one I remember buying.Originally released in 1997 but a remixed version got to number one in 1998.

Feel Love - Donna Summer (1977)
You're My First, My Last, My Everything - Barry White (1974)
Brimful Of Asha - Cornershop (1998)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXWIf...

message 29: by Lez (last edited May 28, 2018 08:52AM) (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Just had to listen to the Chicken Song ‘cos I honestly didn’t know it!
Not as annoying as I expected ;-)

message 30: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments I'm torn between one of Jive Bunny's three number one hits or Mr Blobby:-)

message 31: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments In that case, I nominate Rig to nominate your nomination instead! ;o>

message 32: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3887 comments Feel Love - Donna Summer (1977)
The Model - Kraftwerk (1982)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQIYE...

message 33: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments suzysunshine7 wrote: "In that case, I nominate Rig to nominate your nomination instead! ;o>"

I think Rig might go for 'How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?'

message 34: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments initially the b-side of 'computer love', re-issued as the a-side due to public demand, but not kraftwerk's! surprise!

message 35: by Brass Neck (last edited May 28, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3887 comments Tech wrote: "initially the b-side of 'computer love', re-issued as the a-side due to public demand, but not kraftwerk's! surprise!"

It was that or Geno but I thought I'd go for the more up to date (36 years rather than 38 years) track to show I'm down with the kids.

message 36: by Collette (last edited May 28, 2018 11:19AM) (new)

Collette | 4542 comments After MR B

Mysterious Girl - Peter Andre feat. Bubbler Ranx (2004)

https://youtu.be/iqIq4B1rgl4

message 37: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments After Colette

Having just skimmed through 60 years of number one hits I realise I'd forgotten just how much dross actually made it to number one.

Anyway, it was either this or Bob the Builder:

Mysterious Girl - Peter Andre feat. Bubbler Ranx (2004)
Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) - The Offspring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8QKj...

message 38: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Jebus! Gunna be bladdy nightmare picking 4 or 5 songs from this list! What have ya done Tech?! 8-S

message 39: by Derek (last edited May 28, 2018 01:14PM) (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments theDuke wrote: "Jebus! Gunna be bladdy nightmare picking 4 or 5 songs from this list! What have ya done Tech?! 8-S"

I'm going to find it quite easy voting on what's on offer so far.

message 40: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Some not showed up yet, that I half expected to see...but then, there are hundreds to choose from! This could become a recurring theme too.

message 41: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments "What have ya done Tech?!"

simply unified the forum in praise of the 'classic pop song', duke! it's what i do! :)

derek - plenty of dross, but there's always the diamond in the mouth of a corpse (i love that phrase and i will use it and use it!). i almost nominated 'come on eileen', just so's i could dedicate it to you! :)

message 42: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments There were loads I’ve never heard of including 5 in this list!

message 43: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments I don't mind dexy's, it'd get points from me. I did win a little bet with myself on BN's nomination though.

message 44: by theDuke (last edited May 28, 2018 03:03PM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Tech wrote: ""What have ya done Tech?!"

simply unified the forum in praise of the 'classic pop song', duke! it's what i do! :)

derek - plenty of dross, but there's always the diamond in the mouth of a corpse ..."

Well..as long as that diamond isn't at the other end!

Actually Tech, whilst nowt wrong with Specials...as I almost went for that one myself, but I thought you'd plump for a late '60's track of a Hebrew bent!

message 45: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Derek wrote: "I don't mind dexy's, it'd get points from me. I did win a little bet with myself on BN's nomination though."

Eileen is okay..but I prefer Geno myself.

message 46: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments theDuke wrote: "Tech wrote: ""What have ya done Tech?!"

derek - plenty of dross, but there's always the diamond in the mouth..."

Duke, israelites was my second choice:-)

message 47: by theDuke (last edited May 28, 2018 03:04PM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Derek wrote: "theDuke wrote: "Tech wrote: ""What have ya done Tech?!"

derek - plenty of dross, but there's always the diam..."

Well...mibbe it'll be somebody's first choice! :-)

message 48: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments For a long time I thought ‘Israelites’ was ‘The hills are alive’. Oh dear.

message 49: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments "a Hebrew bent!"

oy vey, rabbi fari! :)

message 50: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments lol!

« previous 1 3