The Backlot Gay Book Forum discussion

Audio Books > Favorite narrators

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jax (new)

Jax | 984 comments I've listened to about 75 audio books with 38 different narrators and these are some of my favorites. I think they're the very cream of the crop because they do really distinct voices for all the characters and actually perform the story.

Ross Pendleton, Greenwode & Shirewode
Nicholas Boulton, Glitterland
Jeff Woodman, Lord John and the Private Matter
Chris Clog, Priddy’s Tale & Seven Summer Nights
David Thorpe, Last Line & Ring Around the Sun
Philip Battley, The Affair of the Porcelain Dog
Hamish McKinlay, Provoked, Beguiled & Enlightened
Kaleo Griffin, Into Deep Waters
Matthew Lloyd Davies, An Unseen Attraction & An Unnatural Vice

And I want to give a shout out to Chris Patton for Josh Lanyon's Adrien English series. They may not be quite as showy without foreign accents or regional dialects, but he gets Adrien exactly right & I listen to them often.

message 2: by Aussie54 (new)

Aussie54 | 322 comments Jax wrote: "I've listened to about 75 audio books with 38 different narrators and these are some of my favorites. I think they're the very cream of the crop because they do really distinct voices for all the c..."

I'm not a great fan of audible books. I have a few, but they're expensive unless you buy the matching e-book from Amazon, and in the past I've tended to buy books from other sources.

I really like the English audios for my Georgette Heyer books - the clipped English accents suit the stories very well. Matthew Lloyd Davies is also great with K.J. Charles' stories.

I'm not so keen on the PsyCop one I have, as Gomez Pugh gives Victor Bayne such a drawling voice. Nothing like I hear him in my head. I also found Chris Patton's Jake voice hard to like in the one audio book I have of the Adrien English series. We all read and hear differently, I suppose.

I found it interesting that the narrators sometimes put different inflections on different parts of sentences than I do when reading the same book. Also a bit embarrassing to find that I've been pronouncing words wrongly all this time ...

message 3: by Jax (new)

Jax | 984 comments Yes, they can be expensive. I used to balk at the price but I really do enjoy them so it's worth it to me. And we have more $ to play around with post-children. 'Course at those prices you don't want to get a real stinker. So far, I've done all right. I do listen to the books at a slightly higher speed than the website samples tho so sometimes it's hard to evaluate from the more draggy reading. And often you don't get to hear both MC voices in the sample.

I'm okay with Jake's voice. It's not jarringly off from what I imagined. For the PsyCop books, I actually love Pugh's Vic but don't like his Jacob at all. To me he sounds a little bit like a surfer dude. And Jacob's not even from California.

message 4: by Jax (new)

Jax | 984 comments I already mentioned Jeff Woodman in the initial post here, but I just finished listening to Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade and found out something that's made me even more impressed. I went to look for more titles he's narrated and discovered he's American! I am completely blown away. The various English/Irish/Scottish accents he does for the Lord John books are really amazing.

He's very prolific (there are 12 pages of results when you search for him at Audible) and he does all genres, including kid's books (he did a Goosebumps book!). There's bound to be something you'd like. I can not recommend him enough.