Our Great American Read discussion

Ghost > Ghost - spoilers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 96 comments Post your thoughts with spoilers here.

message 2: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 96 comments Finished this today. An easy read as it was a book for kids in 5th - 8th grade. At the beginning I thought that even though Ghost had been through a lot of trauma for a 7th grader the book was kind of schmaltzy. I wasn't overly enamored with the idea of the Guinness Book of Records motif. Using titles for 9 out of 10 chapters starting with World Record for seemed a bit of a stretch. However, after I stopped and thought about it, any kid who had been through that much and was in such an impoverished state as Ghost was would want the recognition of being a record holder(being known for something special instead of just being a kid wearing castoff clothes and eating leftover cafeteria food from his mother's job). And after all, aren't all of us in this group fixated on lists of things too. We are all trying to read the whole PBS list. I was still going to give this book 3 stars until near the end Coach and Ghost were in the taxi and Coach told Ghost he understood him and told him his own story. That part became very emotional to me. This book would be a good book for young kids who are trying hard to fit in.

Favorite quote - "Show you that you can't run away from who you are, but what you can do is run toward who you want to be."

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) I liked this book a lot. I enjoyed it being a former youth and also being a former track runner. The author really seemed to get the track vibe... How healing it could be. I don't know a lot about what Ghost had to deal with in the dysfunction of the book, but I do know that the track aspect really helped me as a kid and gave me lots of self confidence, which is so healing itself.

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 96 comments Carol wrote: "I liked this book a lot. I enjoyed it being a former youth and also being a former track runner. The author really seemed to get the track vibe... How healing it could be. I don't know a lot about ..."
I can see that the sport itself gave Ghost something that he could be successful at so that helped his self-esteem, the kids on the team, after they were taken out to eat, became a supportive unit for him. But I really thought that Coach and his way of making Ghost accountable to himself was really key to the growth of Ghost's character.

message 5: by Waffles - (new)

Waffles - Kelsey (waffles_library) I really enjoyed this book. Loved that they showed each of the kids are going through a lot and that each one can overcome them by using Track as a guideline. Loved the Coach. He wasn't too preachy and he wasn't mean to the kids. I'm a Librarian and I would love to have these series in the system for kids to read. Even if their not going through the same things as Ghost and his teammates, it's still have some good lessons in there for kids to learn about.