War Storm (Red Queen, #4) War Storm discussion


1301 views
Anyone else disappointed? (Aslo, what I wished would have happened)

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brianna Yentur Did anyone else feel these last two books were flops?

From the middle of King's Cage untill the end of War Storm, there was NO SUBSTANCE.

In King's Cage I longed for Mare to develope Stockholm Syndrome and for the series to take a darker turn, leaving Cal and Cameron to face off with Mare/Maven. It was so perfect, to hope that Mare would become the monster Julian feared she could be. Cameron was created, brought in, and it felt like she had a place, only for her to become another generic stepping stone of Mare's.

The last books followed a typical "confused girl" plot.

I love him but if he wont do what I want, the way I want, screw him. Then the back and forth, until she FINALLY gets her way and the says, "I don't know what I want." What useless drivel.

Also, no character aside from Cal stopped being racist, not one of the opened their eyes to the fact they were perpetuating a cycle and even though it was glazed over that Mare would tare down one monarchy on looky for it to be replaced with the sane thing, only newbloods, NOTHING was actually done politically. The end left the country in shambles and a "Maybe the will, maybe they won't," romance!

So, cheers to Aveyard for creating a world so rich with possiblity only to abbandon it all for an adolescent romance that I could have found on fanfiction.net


Shai Coggins Yep. THIS!


Brianna Yentur **Sorry for the abundance of typos, autocorrect and typing one handed really killed me here**


James Hagar Dissapointed. Honestly felt like Mare ended up (well if we even want to use that) with the wrong brother!

I did ship Mare/Cal in the beginning, but after I saw Maven and how broken he was, I started to wonder if Mare would help bring him back and be with him. He did do terrible things, but I felt like there were bread crumbs dropped that she would be with Maven and that he would be redeemed....

Well, that was thrown away when Mare and Cal, you know, did it, and then she told Maven that "I love your brother." I knew then that there was no going back, but I still held out hope.

Typical cliche' ending. I will say though that SPOILERS
We never actually DID see Maven's body, so....hmmm...


Camaria I wished Maven would have a better ending ,that at least he and Cal would have a meaningful conversation before he died .I am not sure what Maven could have done ,where would he go if he survived .But I still longed for it a lot .I did like the ending for Evangeline ,to be finally free , the re-building of Norta and Cal coming a step closer to his mother (It breaks hearts how much he needs her and to wonder what could have been) and the buffalo metaphor was beautiful too .However it does hurt to think Maven had such a sad life ,so hollow .I wished for him to have some hope ,maybe it is just a personal opinion .


Camaria James wrote: "Dissapointed. Honestly felt like Mare ended up (well if we even want to use that) with the wrong brother!

I did ship Mare/Cal in the beginning, but after I saw Maven and how broken he was, I start..."


I wanted to see it too ,mostly bc the scene where he dies is a bit confusing


message 7: by Natesha (last edited May 29, 2018 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Natesha Pettigrew Brianna wrote: "Did anyone else feel these last two books were flops?

From the middle of King's Cage untill the end of War Storm, there was NO SUBSTANCE.

In King's Cage I longed for Mare to develope Stockholm ..."


I feel like 75% of this book was mainly about Cal, Mare and Evangeline's feelings. There was Cal and Mare's relationship drama and Evangeline's feelings about wanting to be with Elane and her constant worrying about Ptolemus. It was annoying. I'm honestly not impressed by this book. Maven's "death" was highly disappointing.

The end left the country in shambles and a "Maybe the will, maybe they won't," romance!

Seriously thought there was one more book left after War Storm. Esp after I read the ending... something that fast forwards us a few years or so into the future and provides us with some form of "closure" ???


Natesha Pettigrew James wrote: "Dissapointed. Honestly felt like Mare ended up (well if we even want to use that) with the wrong brother!

I did ship Mare/Cal in the beginning, but after I saw Maven and how broken he was, I start..."


I thought the same thing about Maven. Mare never saw his body... She was only TOLD that he died and she did blackout...


Collette Brianna wrote: "Did anyone else feel these last two books were flops?

From the middle of King's Cage untill the end of War Storm, there was NO SUBSTANCE.

In King's Cage I longed for Mare to develope Stockholm ..."


Your point's well taken in that there are a lot of places the narrative could have gone, but to say there was no substance - the book is about an active war and the resulting societal reformation, so that's just patently unsupported.


message 10: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline Maven was done wrong in the end. Sends a bad message for mental health if he really is dead. I dont think he is. Cal and Mares relationship...im so done and over it since book 2. In book 3 I wanted Maven and Mare to get together and that didnt happen. Stupid Cal ugh I dont get it or what she sees that is so great and grand about him. I thought she liked Maven more, honestly they have more in common and more sexual chemistry to be honest. What a waste of a good intricate character that should have been redeemed in the end.


Cynthia I was disappointed, too. I wrote a really long review about it bc I couldn't believe that that's how it ended. (Feel free to read it on my page!) I'm team Cal, not team Maven, but I still can give you an earful about why I was frustrated throughout the book! But I really did like the series up until the last installment...The author is so talented.


Haley King's Cage had too many new characters introduced. I feel like War Storm was definitely better. It was too long, but I really enjoyed it. Wish there was more romance though.


Hannah i'm definitely team Cal / Mare

However i did feel sorry for Maven, but i couldn't see anyway of him being saved.

I loved all the books, but i do wish War Storm was slightly better. The ending was really disappointing and i was slightly annoyed at the way Cal reacted to Mare after her incident with Maven.

If i recall correctly isn't War Storm the final book in the series? yet there were so many lose ends.


message 14: by Bin (new) - rated it 1 star

Bin Userkaf i hated war storm so much what even he dEFINITELY could have been saved plus the book was mf boring and could have been a lot shorter considering the points where actual action occured


message 15: by Kayla (new) - rated it 1 star

Kayla Girl I feel you! Personally I think Aveyard tried to hard to please the romantic aspect of the series when personally I could have cared less about it. It was a waste of time and quite frankly a waste of pages.

You were right, when Cameron was first introduced I expected her to be the game changer and have this amazing role but I forgot she wasn't Mare so her importance was going to be limited.

Character development was nonexistent as well. Again I blame that on the waste of romanticism.


message 16: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary I think this is the worst ending ever. completely unreliable. Cal gave up the throne and Mare gave up him? Seriously? Aveyard couldn't push the heart-throb because is so annyoing and needless. And what is it with Maven's end? It's so horrible: Mare killed him and after that she just apologized Cal?! WTF? As to romantic plot i think that most of the YA novels doesn't need it. Cal could make a friendly relationship with Evangeline and Mare with Kilorn.


message 17: by X (new) - rated it 1 star

B X The 1st book was so strong, it could have easily been one of the best series out there. But I cannot begin to explain how angry I am with how it progressed.

Can't believe how many useless chapters were spent on attempted politics and I am so disappointed because I read War Storm praying she would turn it around and surprise us. She had literally book 3+4 to do a massive plot twist and give us Maven and Mare. I thought book 3 began in a way we could have brought Maven back but it was ruined since Mare stuck with Cal, he's nice but that about it, the interesting character was Maven since book 1, so much potential but completely wasted, as with many more characters. I think many read on ONLY because we expected a major plot twist for Maven to step in and live up to the character he could have been, rather than Mare and Cal moan over the issues again and again.

The ending was so rushed, and honestly the most underwhelming ending I've ever read. I think with high fantasy worlds like this, it takes so much planning and considering, it felt like she opened up too much plotlines but got bored or ran out of ideas.

1. Evangeline, after all that building up, we never got to conclude her happy ending.

2. Jon?? What the hell did he mean? It's not clearly consistent with how it ended.

3. Cal and Mare are soooooo boring as the canon couple, they literally been fighting the same issue forever and it's boring.

4. Why so much on the Lakelanders queens and princesses if there wasn't a conclusion for them either.

5. What happened to norta then...

Just honestly makes me wish someone like Sarah J Mass took over half way through book 2, it could have been spoon good. It seems like Victoria was scared to jump out of the typical YA cliché romance plot and she didn't plan for the series to get big as it did, so she tried to build the world bigger, spreading herself thin and wouldn't give in to more adventurous endings and dramatic character deaths. It would have been better to focus on Norta, Mare, Maven, Cal, Newbloods, Scarlet Guard. Slip in a couple of chapters towards the end on the side characters (I came to enjoy Evangeline's view, at least she isn't going in circles) and to a spin-off trilogy or something to bring in more lands and characters.


message 18: by AnayaJ (new)

AnayaJ I was disappointed by the ending. I understand how not seeing Maven’s body is supposed to create suspicion so the reader wonders whether he’s actually dead or not, but frankly i wasn’t bothered by it because the whole ‘chasing maven to kill him but still doesnt completely hate him’ just dragged on till the end. I agree with Brianna Yentur: Mare developing stockholm syndrome would have been really interesting. Victoria also put too much emphasis on elaras effect on maven. Towards the middle of the book, it was mentioned nore than once in each chapter (not exactly but you get it) And if maven had to die, i feel like he deserved a more dramatic ending with more clarity.

Cameron became an important character in tge third book (or was that the second.... or maybe both) with corros prison and her brother. In War storm there was hardly any mention of her. I feel like her character was built up only to be discarded and it had so much more potential.

I actually liked Mare and Cal’s relationship (even if i would have preferred maven, for some reason) but the ending of their relationship just annoyed me because after everything that happened between them towards the end, they just dismissed each other.

Nothing was really concluded at the end; maven may or may not have died, mare may or may not get back together with cal, the lakelands may or may not strike again, reds may rise in other kingdoms or may fail, and we heard nothing more from evangeline.

This is my opinion. I wasnt satisfied with how the story was concluded but i enjoyed the book and the drama nevertheless.


message 19: by J (last edited Sep 09, 2018 12:49PM) (new)

J I was really annoyed about the ending... i think this book series had so much potential and that the last 100 pages felt really rushed.

war storm shouldn't have been the final book, there was so much left unanswered!!

I'm personally team cal but i admit that it would have been interesting to see mare and maven have a romance and see the reactions from everyone. I think it was ok that mare and cal struggled with the crown issue but it annoyed me that after everything that happened, cal gave up his crown for mare and they still weren't happy. It is also really unlike cal's character to feel so insecure about losing the crown at the end and being bitter about it. He seemed so certain about giving it up in the fight when him and mare reunite...

I understand that he was upset about maven but why was he annoyed at mare for killing him if maven was probably going to be killed at some point anyway and was trying to kill mare. I'm pretty sure he mentioned that Maven should be killed but that he couldn't do it himself and then told mare to go do it or something (correct me if i'm wrong i can't really remember.) Also, i think it was fine that she blacked out but there should have been a chapter in there from kilorn or maybe cal's perspective explaining what happened.

OK and please explain this:
After their boats being destroyed, the lakelanders just leave and they don't ever attack again?? I think this could have led into a whole other book.

Basically what i think she should have done is moved all the epilogue into the main bit of the book. Then she could have made the epilogue as a chapter years in the future so we could have a proper ending and a better understanding of what happened to Norta, the lakelanders, mare and cal etc.

Some scenes felt a bit rushed like when cal almost dies a lot more could have happened. I'm pretty sure nothing much changed in terms of the blood division as well... there were still things like representatives of reds, silvers and newbloods.

And lastly, i think that there should have been more chapters in cal's perspective, what he thought of maven's death, how he felt about mare in the end of the book.

That was just my opinion and i loved the book series, i think there is room for another book though. Maybe Victoria Aveyard could write another book like the last in the selection series which is written from the daughter of the main characters' view and explains many of the questions the previous book left.


Dominecc Hannah wrote: "i'm definitely team Cal / Mare

However i did feel sorry for Maven, but i couldn't see anyway of him being saved.

I loved all the books, but i do wish War Storm was slightly better. The ending wa..."


There's going to be 5 short stories coming out next year . One's on Evangeline, one on Mare and Cal, one that looks like will be about Julian and history, and I'm not sure about the last 2.


Phew 😮‍💨 Me too. I expected better. It was like she was just trying to finally end the series but just didn’t know how. I wanted both Cal and Maven to die or Mare to end up with Maven. When I read the last book....Gosh....I wondered if Victoria Aveyard actually wrote it. Mmmmh


message 22: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara I was honestly expecting so much from this book. Mare doesn’t know what she wants. She told Cal to choose and when he chose she said that she wanted to discover who she really is? I love Victoria and the red queen series but the ending was so disappointing.


message 23: by Deirdre Ann (last edited Nov 23, 2018 06:52PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Deirdre Ann Mare is a stupid vain little girl who for whatever reason got mixed up in a revolution (if you can even call it that) that was never resolved fully. She spends half the book complaining about her love life, and the other half hitting the reader over the head that she's "scared" and "broken" she treats Cal like crap if you ask me. I feel sorry for Cal having to put up with her. I never shipped Maven and Mare, I don't think Maven was capable of love. And I honest to God can not understand why the scarlet guard keeps letting Mare tag along being she's completely useless. she has zero military knowledge zero leadership skills and no resources. and there is no way that anyone would use her as the face of a revolution after all that she said on camera for the king of Norta. regardless of her reasons for doing so, the public would never trust her.


message 24: by Susannah (new) - added it

Susannah Olsen Caroline wrote: "Maven was done wrong in the end. Sends a bad message for mental health if he really is dead. I dont think he is. Cal and Mares relationship...im so done and over it since book 2. In book 3 I wanted..."

RETWEET! RETWEET!


message 25: by Susannah (new) - added it

Susannah Olsen Brianna wrote: "In King's Cage I longed for Mare to develope Stockholm Syndrome and for the series to take a darker turn, leaving Cal and Cameron to face off with Mare/Maven. It was so perfect, to hope that Mare would become the monster Julian feared she could be. ..."

YESSSSSS!!!!! I know I developed Stockholm Syndrome for him... *coughs*

For real though, the only times I actually felt stuff in these books, and felt like Mare was real, was when she was with Maven. That was real chemistry, not dumb boring Cal that's just UGH so flat and boring! Maven is... MAVEN! I am so in love with him, and so, so heartbroken.


message 26: by Elin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elin When I first started this book I was so exited. I was hoping for Mare and Cal to FINALLY get together and fight Maven along with the Scarletguard, but no, Victoria did not want it that way. So now I am disappointed, but I still have my love for The Red Queen world left and therefore I can't wait for "Broken Throne" to come out.


message 27: by M (new)

M Lavr I think this book was not too bad but it had SOO much more potential and so here’s a few things I wish the book(s) would have come in accordance with.
I remember being halfway through and still thinking how is this supposed to end.. there are so many loose ends and such a big mess.. it feels a little rushed to be honest.
I really like the idea of Mare developing a type of Stockholm syndrome towards maven in kings cage and them having a few more romantic moments, but maybe keeping it to herself and still wanting to be rescued and all that but there still being some type of storyline that goes along with that. Maybe even her seemingly ongoing relationship with maven interfering with her relationship with Cal to go on top of their struggles among revolutions/dynasties/crowns etc.
Also (I may just not remember but) Thomas.. I wish there was more about him and his relationship with maven. I’m pretty sure Maven said he accidentally obliterated him with fire but what if Thomas was somehow alive.. like how much proof is there about his death?.. and maybe mavens feelings for mare weren’t enough for him to ‘become normal’/‘fix him’ but Thomas would be(becuase maybe Elara stopped tampering with his feelings for Thomas because he ‘died’ so she didn’t bother) Like if he just somehow appeared or something I feel like that would have helped maven a lot.
Also Cal never found someone to ‘fix’ maven because Elara infiltrated his mind by planting ‘seeds’ of herself etc etc but why didn’t/couldn’t they try erasing or taking away traces of Elara in Mavens mind the same way Elara took away so much of Maven and tampered with his head.. Like a type of reverse psychology or something..
I also wanted Mare and Cal to actually get together in the end.. Maybe they did but after he finally gave up the crown because a) he was dine with it b)he loved her and just wanted to be with her after everything she tells him they should take time away from each other.. if Mare needs space that’s ok but I felt like she was just pushing Cal away at that point. I really hate how after everything their story is still not concluded(yes there may have been a factor of leaving their fate for the reader to decide but more info would have given us at least a little more closure :/ ).
I’m happy with Evangeline and her ending, but I also initially thought that when she was on the train escaping to Montfort she'd collide with Mare Farley Maven etc in the tunnels and maybe help them or something because it just felt sad to leave her character like that with no follow up and not much closure from her in her perspective.
I wanted to know more about what ended up happening with the Lakelands, Iris, and her mom and the storyline with that because that was also a sudden ending that didn’t have much of a conclusion. Maybe if they died or something that would have at least put that part of the story at rest.
And the entirety of rebuilding the Nortan nation seems like such a large factor that should have been mentioned or progressed or detailed more.. especially since in the end many silvers of Norta especially were still racist towards reds and we still end up not knowing how everything turned out for the Nortan nation as a whole.
So yes I really wish these ‘factors’ were more apparent or at least considered :)

P.s. is there some way to get into contact with Victoria Aveyard in terms of asking her about these queries and plot descisions/justifications ?


message 28: by M (new)

M Lavr X wrote: "Cal and Mare are soooooo boring as the canon couple, they literally been fighting the same issue forever and it's boring...."

See maybe if Mare got more involved with Maven or something then there would have been more complicated conflict or to make the couple more interesting maybe Cal did something that brings forth a whole other issue to their relationship so their conflicts have more layers/levels.


message 29: by M (new)

M Lavr J wrote: "Some scenes felt a bit rushed like when cal almost dies a lot more could have happened. ..."

YESSS I was actually really looking forward to more happening in that scene. Maybe something that sets Mare off and shows us more of a glimpse into Mare’s full potential and how much power she actually has because she was on the brink of going out of control and letting her powers loose yet she didn’t.
I guess that also just describes how I wanted to see more of Mare’s powers grow and her utilising her abilities to a fuller extent.. she mentioned how she didn’t know how much she could do/didn’t know her full potential once (I don’t remember where) and I think that scene would have been a perfect door towards readers seeing just how much power she actually harnesses.


message 30: by M (new)

M Lavr J wrote: "That was just my opinion and i loved the book series, i think there is room for another book though. Maybe Victoria Aveyard could write another book like the last in the selection series which is written from the daughter of the main characters' view and explains many of the questions the previous book left. ..."

Firstly, same.
Secondly, that seems like it would be an awesome idea for the author to pursue!! Also (I haven’t read the Broken Throne book yet but) apparently there is basically no information about Mare and Cal and how everything ends with them( like in long term).. apparently they have children but there’s no proof or something along the lines of that.
So it would be great to know a little bit more about how things actually ended up and the perspective of a main characters child would be a great way to incorporate the old characters plus plot holes yet also bringing a fresh feel to the ending so the readers would get closure yet still be interested in the new perspective(which would ultimately also give them more of an understanding of what’s happened in that time frame). Idk something in accordance with that.


Nishtha I absolutely loved the first three parts but I simply could not force myself to read the whole book (War Storm). I have tried to get back to it but I dont find it as amusing as I did the first three. Its a pity.


back to top