AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

Puritan Witch: The Redemption of Rebecca Eames (The Puritan Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Puritan Witch
Book #1

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peni (last edited May 27, 2018 11:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) | 26 comments I'd like to start out by giving the synopsis of Book #1; Puritan Witch; The Redemption of Rebecca Eames; Puritan Witch: The Redemption of Rebecca Eames
Puritan Witch: On a cold night in 1692, two young girls are caught up in the divining games of a slave woman—and then begin to act very strangely when the game goes wrong. Six months later, as news of the girls’ strange behavior becomes known, fear and suspicion overwhelm a nearby farming community, pitting neighbors against neighbors and turning friends into enemies. When Rebecca Eames makes one careless utterance during a verbal attack on her family, she is falsely accused of witchcraft. After her fate is decided by three magistrates, Rebecca must endure a prison sentence during which she and her fellow captives have no choice but to valiantly struggle to find humanity and camaraderie among dire conditions. ( 2014 IPPY silver medal award winner for Best Regional Fiction and 2015 eLit bronze medal award winner for Historical Fiction).

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
This sounds a little like Orange is the New Black meets The Crucible! I love it. Do all of the novels in The Puritan Chronicles follow the same characters?

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) | 26 comments Well, sort of. In Book #2 I introduce a completely fictional character ( Absalom Hart, a brooding but gentle giant ) who is really fleshed out in Book #3. Book #3 starts several years earlier than the first 2, but I think I was successful in tying them all together.

message 4: by Martha (new)

Do you have a favorite character among the three books?

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) | 26 comments Martha wrote: "Do you have a favorite character among the three books?" Yes and oddly they are not my ancestors, but my own fictional creations. I have a favorite male character--Absalom Hart. He's a head taller and twice the size of most other colonial men, with a good heart and a strong sense of justice. My favorite female character is the main character in Book #3, Grace Hampton. She's sort of a 17th century feminist, who can get by without a man just fine, thank you very much. Both of these characters are intrepid in the face of heartbreak which I admire greatly.

message 6: by Martha (new)

Sounds like you like strong men and strong women — so do I! It's interesting to me how feminism rises and falls over the centuries. Some women in certain cultures hundreds of years ago were more liberated than some women in more recent cultures. For instance, Native American women, many of them, had more "rights" than their white counterparts in 18th century American—they were able to own their own land, for instance. (Depending on their tribe.) Did you come across that in your own research?

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) | 26 comments Martha wrote: "Sounds like you like strong men and strong women — so do I! It's interesting to me how feminism rises and falls over the centuries. Some women in certain cultures hundreds of years ago were more li..."
I did, but moreso in researching Book #3. Although I didn't address the status of Native American women in my books, trying to keep the number of characters down so the reader has fewer to keep straight. The female protagonist in Book #3 is not your average Puritan spinster; she's industrious and smart and not afraid to speak her mind!

message 8: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (new)

Rebecca Rosenberg (rebeccarosenberg) | 270 comments Mod
That is always a challenge to keep the character count down, so as not to overwhelm the story! Your series sounds very interesting, Peri.

message 9: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (new)

Rebecca Rosenberg (rebeccarosenberg) | 270 comments Mod
Peri, where does the series take place? Do you live there? Or did you spend time there?

message 10: by Peni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) | 26 comments Rebecca wrote: "Peri, where does the series take place? Do you live there? Or did you spend time there?"
All 3 of the Puritan Chronicles takes place in Colonial America. Book #1 required me to visit Boxford, MA and Salem/Danvers! I currently live in Maryland so it was a fun trip to take to research. I was unable to research for Book #2 which is set in Connecticut, but for Book #3, I was able to visit Dover, New Hampshire. The Woodman Museum has an existing Colonial garrison house I was able to tour, and that was fascinating!

message 11: by Peni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) | 26 comments Rebecca wrote: "That is always a challenge to keep the character count down, so as not to overwhelm the story! Your series sounds very interesting, Peri."

Yes, they had HUGE families in those days. Rebecca Eames had 8 children which I whittled down to 4.
It's Peni, not Peri, btw :)