What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Horror, 90s or early 2000s Goosebumps-esque, high school girl dates mysterious guy who has been ritualistically renewing his youth and curses the town. Possible Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ali (new)

Ali | 1 comments The horror book I'm thinking of was actually the first in a series of at least two books, if not more. I think it would have been published in the 90s or early 2000s. I read the book in 2002/2003, and I remember that the cover was very similar to a Goosebumps book, although I don't remember if they were the same publisher or a related series. I think the series was aimed more at teens than kids.

The was a girl who was dating a mysterious guy who she gradually realizes has actually been around for a long time, and he uses a ritual to renew his youth. It is possible that her name was Kim, although I might be completely wrong. The general setting was a town that was preparing for a yearly festival (?) remembering a historic massacre that happened where the townspeople hacked each other to death with axes.

The specific scenes I remember are probably spoilers:

I think it turned out that they guy had been around when the original massacre had happened. He had the ability to control a fog that would possess people or drive them crazy, and the fog comes during the festival and the modern townspeople start killing each other. In one scene, he cornered a group of guys (I think one of them had been flirting with or maybe harassing the female MC) and the fog surrounds them, there's some screaming, and then the eyeball of one of the guys is all that's left. In the end, he teaches the girlfriend his ritual for youth so that they can stay together.

I had started to read the sequel, and remember that in the opening scene, the guy notices that his skin is starting to decay again, so he goes to his library to renew his youth by doing something with holding his face over a bowl of steam. The girlfriend from the first book is on the couch, and his internal monologue is about how the girlfriend is getting annoying, and that he might need to get rid of her because another girl in the town has caught his attention.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

message 2: by Cerys (last edited May 30, 2018 01:38AM) (new)

Cerys | 3 comments If it looked like a Goosebumps book, it might have been part of the Fear Street series, which was written by the same author but for older audiences.

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1527 comments Still looking for this? And if so, do you remember anything about the cover?

message 4: by Tab (new)

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36489 comments Mod
Note: Ali (OP) was last active on the site in October 2019.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40590 comments Mod
Ali, are you still looking for this or did you find it?