Phillips Summer 2018 Children's Literature discussion

Student Interest Inventory

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Phillips | 4 comments Mod
This is where you will post your summary of the interest inventory and your book list.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Caveye | 4 comments Avery is a soon to be third grader. She enjoys Mystery books as well as books about Folk Tales & Legends and Informational books. Avery’s favorite topics are animals, science, history, and adventure. She enjoys reading books that come in series had has read all of the Magic Tree House Books. She says that she is very good at using a loud voice when she reads and is currently reading “A Thief At National Zoo” which is a mystery book.

Elizabeth Queen of the Seas- state award book
I chose this book for Avery because it is about an animal, a seal. It is also a true story about how this seal wanted to rest in the street. It is very informational and entertaining so I think Avery will enjoy it.

Emmanuel’s Dream- Multi-Cultural or Non-Fiction
I chose this book for Avery because it is about a true adventure that this little boy went on. It ties in to her love of history and adventure. It is about a little boy who rides his bike even though he only has one leg.

Jason and the Argonauts–Non Fiction
I picked this book for Avery because it is about the legend of Jason and how he fought the gods. This book is perfect for third graders and will interest Avery because one of her favorite genres is folk tales and legends.

Diary of a 3RD Grade Detective- Mystery
This is the book that I am most excited for Avery to read. I think it is a perfect fit into her interests and genres. Avery is going into third grade just like the main characters in this book. It is a mystery which seems to be Avery’s favorite based on the books she has read and is reading currently. It is about two third graders who want to solve the mystery of who is leaving sticky notes on their desks.

message 3: by Carmen (last edited Jun 18, 2018 07:13PM) (new)

Carmen | 6 comments Drew will soon be a second grader in the Fall of 2018. Drew enjoys reading about Summer, toy stores, fairy tales, and about his class. He is currently reading “Charlotte’s Web” by E.B. White. Drew has three favorite chapter book series: Geronimo Stilfon, Magic Treehouse, and The Doll People. He also is best at reading to himself. I chose 4 different books for Drew. The selection consists of: one state award winning book, a multicultural book, a non-fiction book, and a fantasy book that I personally picked out myself.

• State Award Book: Summer Days and Nights by Yee, Wong Herbert
I chose this book for Drew because Drew enjoys reading books about summer. This book includes all the fun things to do during the hot summer days. It also tells about the exciting bugs that come out and the activities that can be done, even when the moon is shining. These are the small but special details that define the summer season.

Multicultural Book- Brothers of the night by Debbie Allen
o This is a Fairy Tale about 12 boys who dance the night away without their Reverend Knight finding out. I chose this book for Drew because he said he takes interest in Fairy Tale books, but this book is about 12 little boys and has a mystery twist with it. This isn’t like a regular fairy tale about a princess and a prince. It is exciting and will keep Drew on his toes.

Non-Fiction Book- It’s Spring! By Linda Glaser
o I chose this fact filled book for Drew because it’s all about spring. There are beautiful paper sculptures that show the animal life, plant life, weather, colors, clothing, and feelings that are associated with spring.

Free choice Book- Horrid Henry (book set) by Simon, Francesca
o This is a set of stories about a boy named Henry. Drew did not have a preference of books in a series of books that are not part of a series. I chose these for Drew because it’s about a funny but naughty little boy and his little brother who is an angle also known as Perfect Peter. Drew will be able to laugh and have fun reading this 4 book series.

message 4: by Nina (new)

Nina (NinaCox) | 5 comments Riya Ketelsen will soon be a 5th grader. She loves to read, ensuring that she reserves at least an hour or two each day to do so. Even though she only owns about 25 books, she visits her library at least once per week and therefore, has plenty of selection. Genres that she is interested in include History, Romance, Humor, Mysteries, Supernatural Stories, Fantasy, Art, Adventure and Novels. She isn’t much of a newspaper reader, though she does take interest in Entertainment and Current Events. She wholeheartedly believes that reading is fun and enjoyable. Books that she would be interested in include Golden Sower winners (old and new), Ghost Stories or books that contain Fantast or Adventure. I feel a personal connection with Riya because she greatly resembles my own daughter, who is also going to be a 5th grader. She shares the same passion for books and is interested in the same genres as my daughter is, therefore I find it more exciting to suggest a few good books to her.

1. The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley (State Award, 2015)
This novel takes place during World War II, telling the story of 9-year-old disabled Ada, who must leave with her brother to the English countryside to escape the possibility of her home being destroyed by Germany. I believe Riya would greatly enjoy this story, since it’s not only a Golden Sower winner, but also a Historical Fiction, both of which she is greatly interested in. Other discussion points would include how the main character in the story would act as an inspiration to her because she has so much perseverance in a life that seemed like it was going against her. The book also contains a lot of action, so it is sure to keep her reeled in.

2. The Land of Forgotten Girls (Multicultural, 2016)
This is a story of Sol and Ming, 2 sisters who have lived a life of hardship. After losing their sister and mother, abandoned by their father, living in poverty with their abusive step-mother, they find comfort in each other and their wild imaginations. I chose this for Riya because after seeing that she would like to own Walk Two Moons, I realized that there are a few similarities between these two books, such as the characters multicultural background, the hard-life obstacles that they face (loss, abandonment, etc.), and the deep, powerful messages that they both provide. Because they are similar in those aspects, I believe Riya would enjoy reading this book. Other discussion points would include how The Land of Forgotten Girls ties in with current events (Immigration and Emigration), another topic that she has expressed interested in reading.

3. Haunted Kids: True Ghost Stories by Allan Zullo (Non-Fiction, 2010)
This book contains an abundant collection of true, bone-chilling ghost stories that are more appropriate for children ages 8 and older. This book is perfect for Riya, considering it falls under a genre she likes reading the most. Her interest survey indicates that she specifically would like to read about ghost stories, and having personally read it, I wholeheartedly believe she would enjoy it. Other discussion points would include informing her that these ghost stories are based on true stories of children who have actually been haunted and that the stories also include mysterious aspects, which she also enjoys.

4. All the Answers by Kate Messner (Fiction, 2015)
This novel tells a tale about 12-year-old Ava Anderson who stumbles upon an old pencil and discovers that it holds the power to answer any question she writes down. I chose this book for Riya because it falls under a few of her interests, being that it is a Novel and is a Fantasy. Other discussion points would include the main character is very relatable and the book had an amazing balance of realistic fiction and fantasy.

message 5: by Jenni (last edited Jun 21, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Jenni | 4 comments Riya will be a fifth grader this fall. She loves to read and said that she reads novels for about one to two hours everyday. Some of her favorite subjects to read about are history, romance, mysteries, and supernatural. Riya also likes books with adventure and humor. Riya also has an interest in art. Some of Riya’s favorite books are Tuesdays at the Castle and Little Women. The television shows and movies Riya likes to watch typically feature an awkwardly goofy character, such as Girl Meets World. One thing Riya put on her survey that I thought was surprising for her age, was that she likes to read not only the entertainment section of the news, but also enjoys reading about current events.

State Award Winner:

Turnage, Sheila. (2015). The odds of getting even. New York, NY: Kathy Dawson Books.

I chose this book because of Riya’s interest in mysteries. This book is about two kid “detectives”. Dale, who is one half of the kid detective team, learns that his dad who is awaiting trial for kidnapping has escaped. Dale and Mo take the case to find him. This mystery book is written in a humorous tone and the main character is quirky, just like the character of Riley in Girl Meets World. This book was also written in an attention-grabbing style, and a few of the books Riya listed that she enjoyed were also written in an attention-grabbing way, so I think this book would be able to pull Riya in and keep her entertained.

Multicultural Book:

Dumas, Firoozeh. (2016). It ain’t so awful, Falafel. Boston, MA: Clarion Books.

I chose this book based on Riya’s interest in history and current events. It Ain’t So Awful, Falafel is about a young girl growing up during the 1970’s. She is Iranian who had moved to California with her parents. She does her best to fit in, going by a more “American” name and for a while there seems to be no problems in their community with the fact that they are immigrants. However, when the Iranian hostage crisis happens and is all over the news, she and her family face the backlash from their community. One reviewer commented on how even though this book is a historical fiction novel, it appeared relevant to today’s politics. While this book’s topic may appear grim, the author wrote it in a humorous tone. Riya marked that she likes humorous books, so I’m sure the mix of history, humor, and relevance to current events will be interesting to Riya.

Nonfiction Book:

Burleigh, Robert. (2014). Edward Hopper paints his world. New York, NY: Henry Holt and Company, LLC.

I chose this book for Riya because of her interest in art. This book is unique because it not only gives details about the life of famed artist, Edward Hopper, but the book uses Hopper’s own paintings recreated with him in the picture. The purpose of this was so that the reader could see Hopper busy looking at the world and bringing what he saw in person to the canvas. Edward Hopper is known for his painting, Nighthawks, and in this book, instead of seeing the famous painting as he painted it, we see the illustrator’s interpretation of Hopper standing outside the diner, looking in. The pictures are quite colorful, and because Riya likes art, I think she will appreciate the way the illustrator used Hopper’s famous paintings. The book went into detail about how Hopper found his inspiration, which was mostly lighthouses, deserted places, loneliness. This book is considered a narrative fiction, so it is more like a story than a “just facts” biography. Riya is the type of student who enjoys reading, not only for pleasure, but to learn as well, so I think this blend of storytelling mixed with biographical information would interesting to her.

Choice Book:

George, Jessica Day. (2014). Thursdays with the crown. New York, NY: Bloomsbury.

I chose this book because of Riya’s interest in Tuesdays at the Castle. This book is actually one of the sequels to Tuesdays. There are three other books in the Castle Glower series that Riya would probably enjoy as well. Just like the first book, Thursdays with the crown is a fast-paced book that grabs your attention. In this book, the main character, Princess Cecile, her siblings, and her pet are all sent to an unknown land, and adventure awaits them when they try to figure out where they are. This book is fantasy fiction, another genre that Riya enjoys reading. The author stated that she wanted to write a funny book when she wrote the first book in the series, so I believe this one will also turn out to be humorous too, which is something Riya enjoys in her books.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 4 comments Matthew is a fourth-going-into-fifth-grade student. He likes to read, reading over an hour a day and has over a hundred books in his personal library. The Percy Jackson series seems to be a favorite of his right now. Reading from the newspaper does not seem to be an interest of his. He likes to read war stories and has a hobby for baking. His favorite magazine is American Girl.

Nonfiction: Loria, L. (2018). The Mexican-American War (Westward Expansion: America's Push to the Pacific). Britannica Educational Publishing.
Matthew noted that he liked to read war stories so I wanted to pick a war he might not be familiar with. This book on the Mexican-American War by Laura Loria includes maps and colored images to be engaging. It also goes into the causes and motives of the war and the people involved. Since Matthew enjoys American Girl, I suspect he’ll enjoy reading about how the events of the war affected the average person in this book.

State Award: Barton, C., & Ngai, V. (2017). Dazzle Ships: World War I and the Art of Confusion. Millbrook Press.
I noticed this book on the table during out nonfiction class, one of the reasons why I picked it. “Dazzle Ships” is about the “dazzle camouflage” that was implemented in World War I by the British Navy to confuse the German U-Boats, Since Matthew wanted to read war stories, I thought this would be an excellent selection. The beautiful illustrations will certainly make the patterns of the ships come to life for him.

Multicultural: Chokshi, R. (2018). Aru Shah and the end of time. Rick Riordan Presents.
“Aru Shah and the end of time” is about a girl who accidently unleashes an ancient demon and has to find five legendary heroes to save the world. This book is part of the “Rick Riordan Presents” series, since Matthew likes Percy Jackson I bet he’ll like this book endorsed by its author. It uses Hindu mythology instead of the Greek mythology used in the Percy Jackson series but still has the fantasy style tone.

Free Choice: Stephenson, M. (2018). Baking for Kids: Baking Recipes for Aspiring Kid Bakers. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
Matthew seems to have an interest in baking so I wanted to pick a baking cookbook. This book includes a bunch of fun recipes for kids, like miniature chocolate cookies and caramel snickerdoodle bars. I chose this book because there are twenty-five recipes, the instructions are simple to follow and it’s targeted at children who want to bake by themselves. The author, Martha Stephenson is a chef who has also written many cookbooks so she is experienced.

message 7: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Ibarra | 4 comments Nikki Ibarra
Children’s Lit
Phillips

My student’s name is Jack and he is going into the fourth grade. Jack is an avid reader according to his survey and what brings me to this conclusion is his response to the last question which is, “long books, reading in my head, reading extremely fast.” He is interested in a few different genres including realistic fiction, fantasy, and science fiction, and he likes to read series. His favorite topics to read about include basketball, funny books, and action/adventure, scary books, and he loves books that are “hard-readers”. Jack is currently reading a realistic fiction book named Matilda by Roald Dahl.

State Award:
All the Answers by Kate Messner (Golden Sower)

This book is about a young girl, Ava, who is very anxious about basically everything and has a lot of fears and her journey with a pencil that Ava finds at her house in a random drawer. Ava finds out the pencil has special “powers” of telling the facts when she takes a math test in class and she decides to use these powers to give answers to those in need. She ends up having to solve a family issue with the help of her friend, Sophie, without telling anyone that there’s a pencil with “powers” telling her about her family’s past.
Although this book is above Jack’s grade level (4.6), it sits at his preferred reading level as indicated by the other books he has read/ is reading, which is around fifth grade. He enjoys hard books, so this would provide him with a challenge. It is also a fantasy book, which is one of his favorite genres. In several reviews, I also read the book is full of laughter and is humorous which is another interest Jack has with his book collection.

Multicultural Award:
Adam and Thomas by Aharon Appelfeld (Batchelder Award)

This books is about two boys growing up during World War II. They are both left by their parents in the forest to survive on their own, despite only being nine years old. These boys see encounter countless acts of Nazis’ violence towards many people and other encounters people wouldn’t imagine seeing in a lifetime. This story is about their fight for survival by foraging every day and receiving help from a few people throughout the story. It shows the struggles and the miracles they go through to survive such a historical event.
The reason I chose this book is because of the similarity it has with one of Jack’s favorite books, Gregor The Overlander, in topics and reading level (4.4). Both books slightly bring up the topics of war, which is what Adam and Thomas see in their own lives. I also think he would enjoy this book because although it is historical fiction, it still falls into the fiction genre he mentioned liking twice in his survey. Another reason I think Jack would find this book enjoyable is because the boys in the story are around how old he is (assuming he is 9-10 from his grade). Having any kind of connection between the reader and the characters in a book always draws them in more and helps a reader become more invested. I’m hoping Jack can try putting himself in the character's’ shoes and “live out” the story he is reading.

Non-Fiction Award:
Mesmerized: How Ben Franklin Solved a Mystery that Baffled All of France by Mara Rockliff (Obis Pictus Award)

This book is about the story of Benjamin Franklin and his battle to disprove a pseudoscientist that was practicing medicine in an unethical way that was making people feel weird afterwards.
I chose this book for Jack because it is filled with scientific explanations for different methods of medicine. He checked science fiction as a favorite genre, so the science aspect of this book should be appealing enough to keep his attention throughout the book. It is mentioned in several reviews that the author had added in some humor as well and as I mentioned before, Jack has a preference for funny books, as well as “hard-readers” and this book has the highest ranking of all books in reading level (5.0). At this age, Jack is probably familiar with Ben Franklin, if not just the name, so this would give him more knowledge about a well-known person in history and his contribution to the science world.

Free-Choice:
The Crossover by Kwame Alexander

This book is about a 12 year old boy named Josh and his love of basketball, his family, and issues he deals with as a seventh grader. Josh is trying to fill his father’s steps in becoming a well known basketball player, but is currently dealing with his father’s health issues that bring on a set of issues with his family. He is also trying to get used to the fact that his brother isn’t going to be as close to him as they were growing up now that he has a girlfriend and is becoming someone other than “Josh’s twin”. This gives him a whole different set of problems that Josh has to deal with and ultimately leaves him to try to figure out his problems “alone” for most of the book.
I chose this book for Jack because it is a little above his grade level and fits his topic of basketball. It also fits under the realistic fiction genre for books that he seems to really lean towards. The book is also humorous to keep the attention of the intended audience, which is typically 4-6 grade boys, so Jack should find this interesting enough to read through it. It will also introduce him to a different style of writing in this book than a typical book, which is verse, so I’m hoping he will gain a new liking from reading this book.

message 8: by Riley (new)

Riley Thomas | 4 comments Drew Balus is a 2nd grader going into 3rd grade this year. Right now, he is reading Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White. His favorite topics to read about are: toy stores, fairy tales, summer, spring, and his class. He prefers to read to himself and some of his favorite books include The Doll People, the Magic Tree House series, and Geronimo Stilfon books. I think that he would take the most interest in fantasy and fiction stories with a mix of characters from humans to animals to toys. Based on the books he listed as his favorites, I notice he likes stories with an adventure throughout, and a good, happy ending.

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (State Award Book)
DiCamillo, K. (2008). The tale of Despereaux: A junior novelization. Somerville, MA: Candlewick Press.

Why I chose this book: I chose this book because of Drew’s interest in fantasy and fairy tale books. Similar to Charlotte’s Web, The Tale of Despereaux is a book filled with talking animals that make you fall in love with them and characters that wrap you up in their fictional lives. I think he would like this book because of the fantasy aspect along with the overall story of a great adventure.

The Clubhouse Mysteries by Sharon M. Draper (Multicultural Book)
Draper, S. M. (2011). Clubhouse mysteries. New York: Aladdin.

Why I chose this book: Based on Drew’s interest in the Magic Tree House books, I thought he would like this series as well. The first book of Magic Tree House involves the characters joining in on a magical dinosaur-land adventure. I think both series are similar, and I think that Drew will appreciate the fantasy aspects of the books along with the lives of the four ordinary boys in the books that are his same age.

Some Writer! The Story of E. B. White by Melissa Sweet (Nonfiction book)
Sweet, M., & White, M. (2016). Some writer!: The story of E.B. White. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Why I chose this book: Drew stated in his interest inventory that he was currently reading Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White, so I thought that this would be a perfect book for him to read to find out more about this great author! The reading level is slightly high for his grade level but with each page full of pictures and short captions, this book is an easy and quick read. If you have read any of E. B. White’s books, you will love finding out how he got his start. If you have not read his books, you will absolutely want to read them after reading Some Writer! The Story of E. B. White.

Stuart Little by E. B. White
White, E. B., & Williams, G. (2007). Stuart Little. London: Puffin Books.

Why I chose this book: Because Drew is currently reading Charlotte’s Web, I thought this would be a great book for him to enjoy as well. His interest in fantasy and fiction fit perfectly for the plot of a mouse being raised by humans. Everyone has seen the movie based on this book at least once, so I am sure he will enjoy the story buried in this book. Stuart Little is full of fun animal characters who talk and interact, similar to the characters found in Charlotte’s Web.

message 9: by Brandie (new)

Brandie | 4 comments I was given a reading interest survey from a first grader going into second grade named Madison McGreer. She likes fiction as long as its realistic, mystery stories fascinate her, and stories with a lot of information are important. Madison is good at understanding what she reads, so the more information the better. She is currently reading a chapter book called “Lea Drives In”. Most of her favorite series are chapter books, however, I have only chosen one-chapter book for Madison. I have only chosen one-chapter book because she stated that her first favorite topic to read about was animals and another was friendship. From this information I have come up with a few books that I believe Madison would like.
The first book that I chose for Madison is “Ivan: The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla,” by K.A. Applegate. This story is true and its about a gorilla who was taken away and put on display in a shopping mall. This is no way for an animal to live and people fought to get him out of the mall. Soon he was placed in a zoo to be with other gorillas. I chose this book for a few reasons. First, because Madison enjoys animals and gorillas are one of my favorite animals. Second, because she enjoys real stories with good information and this story is very real and gives a lot of information about animal rights and the way some animals are treated. Lastly, I chose this book because I think Madison is a lot like myself and that she would enjoy knowing about the treatment of animals in the past and what was done to change that. Knowing that us as people have to stand up for animals is good for Madison to be aware of. One discussion point that I might use for Madison would be asking about her interest in animal rights and safety. Asking her if it would be a good idea to have a real gorilla at the mall. I would also have her come up with some possible outcomes if there was a gorilla at the store on display. From there I would offer the book and tell her to think about the gorilla and his feelings as she reads and to let me know her thoughts and feelings about Ivan once she has finished. I think that she would feel bad for the gorilla and wish that we could help more because people who like animals have big hearts and that is where I think that I could make a connection with Madison.
The next book that I would recommend for Madison would be “If Sharks Disappeared,” by Lily Williams. This book is about what sharks actually do for our ecosystem and what would eventually happen if they were all gone one day. What would happen to life on earth without sharks? This would be one discussion point when introducing this book to Madison. Do we need sharks? Are they really important for life to go on? I would ask a series of questions about sharks and if she thinks that sharks are important or not. I would ask her for her input-on sharks and if they really belong here and if she believes that all sharks are dangerous and need to be destroyed. From there I would tell her that as she reads I want her to make note of the importance of sharks and why we actually really need them in our ecosystem to keep it going. I chose this book for Madison because she likes animals, but she enjoys information and understanding what she reads. This is a god book with a lot of information about sharks and our world that is actually very interesting to children. I chose this book because there is a lot about sharks that we do not know and I think the information about why we need sharks would be good for her to read and enjoyable. I think that Madison and I have a connection when it comes to animals and wanting to know real good information that can help us better understand what we read.
The next book that I would recommend for Madison would be, “Juana and Lucas,” by Juana Medina. Juana and Lucas is about a girl and her dog who are best friends. Juana doesn’t want to learn a new language and doesn’t see why she should have to. She needs to know English to go on a trip with her family, but she just struggles. Lucas is her best friend and he is who she shares her struggles and stories with. I chose this book for Madison for a few reasons, First, because she likes books about friendships and this book shows a strong friendship between a girl and her dog. This is my second reason for choosing this book is because its not only about friendship, but about a friendship with a dog and Madison really likes animals so I think that she could possibly connect with Juana. Lastly, I chose this book because I think that I would even enjoy reading this story and since I feel that Madison and I have similar interest in books I feel that maybe she could possibly enjoy reading about the struggles of learning a new language and not understanding why you need to change. I myself struggle to understand why we need to learn other languages because they aren’t easy and I just don’t see the point. My first discussion point for Madison would be asking her if she has ever dreamt of travelling outside of the United States into a place where English is not dominant. Then I would ask her what she would do if she could not communicate with people from another part of the world. Would it be important for her to learn their language before she travels? Another discussion point would be asking Madison if she has a pet that she considers her best friend? One that she can talk to about anything that she is struggling with? I would ask her if she could try to make connections with Juana as she reads and to let me know how the story makes her feel? I would then show her the cover of the book and ask her what she thinks the story could possibly be about and have her read it to see if she is right and if not how far off was she about the outcomes.
The last book that I would recommend for Madison would be “Wild Girl,” by Patricia Giff. This is a chapter book with a horse on the cover. Wild Girl is about a wild horse that a young girl is determined to ride. The only problem is that her father and brother do not know the little girl very well anymore and aren’t sure if she can handle it. They think she is still just a little innocent girl who doesn’t know anything about horses. She is determined and wants to prove them wrong. I chose this book for Madison because of the animals and beautiful horses in the story. Most girls are a sucker for horses and since she likes animals I think that she would enjoy reading about a young girl who is determined to ride the wild horse and tame her. I think that she would possibly find a connection to the girl and enjoy the book as much as I would myself.

message 10: by Nyapot (new)

Nyapot Hogan | 4 comments Madison is a first grader going into the second grade this fall. Her favorite genres are realistic fiction, mystery, and Informational. She enjoys reading about animals, friendships, food/recipes, and fairies. Madison likes both series and non-series books. She is reading a chapter book called Lea Dives In, by Lisa Yee, a fiction book that has 147 pages. Some of Madison’s favorite chapter books are Humphrey, Rainbow Magic, Ivy and Bean, and The Magic Tree House books. Madison says she is best at having an understanding of the material she reads.

Multicultural- Ruby Lee and Me by Shannon Hitchcock
This story is about a friendship between two girls living in the south during the late 1960’s where they face difficult challenges from the world around them. These two girls love each other, even though their friendship has been strained. I picked this book for Madison because she likes reading stories about friendships. One of her favorite books is Ivy and Bean, a chapter book series about two friends.

Non-Fiction- Giant Squid by Candace Fleming and Eric Rohmann
This book is about a giant squid, a mysterious animal. I think Madison would like to read this book because she likes mystery and animals. This story delivers both. Giant squids are mysterious creatures that scientist have been trying to understand for years. Now with clues gathered, more information is given about the Giant Squid. Something else I think Madison will also enjoy since she likes reading informational type books as well.

State award- Detective Gordon, A Complicated Case by Ulf Nilsson
I think Madison will like this book because it's about animal detectives. Detective Gordon, a Toad and his assistant Buffy the mouse, try and solve a mystery going on in the forest. Someone is going around saying nasty things about the other forest animals. So they try to solve the case. This book is a cute and fun read. I think she will enjoy it. Madison says she likes reading about animals and mysteries. One of her favorite animal books right now is Humphry. A book series about an adorable hamster.

Free choice- The Never girls by Kiki Thorpe
Madison enjoys reading about fairies. I think she will enjoy this series of books because she likes stories about fairies. These books are about four best friends that wish to be taken to Neverland, where Tinkerbell and her fairy friends live. I think any about story about friendships and fairies is a win for Madison. Just like Rainbow Magic, a book series about fairies that she listed as a favorite. Madison will gain another welcome addition to her fairy collection.

message 11: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 4 comments My Student Interest Inventory is about a young man named Matthew. He will be in the fifth-grade next semester and is an avid reader who spends at least an hour or more reading each day. He has his own personal library of one hundred books in the basement of his house. Although he likes to read books with a war theme, he is interested in reading books with more mystery in them. He is a big fan of the “Percy Jackson Series” and would love to own “The Heroes of Olympus Series,” which is the sequel to the “Percy Jackson Series.” His favorite magazine is “American Girl Doll.” Matthew has other hobbies besides reading, he also likes to bake and watch other people bake on television. His favorite television programs are the Food Network and the Holiday Baking Championship. He also enjoys listening to music and watching movies. His favorite entertainer is a musician named Danny KAE, and his favorite movies are “The Music Man” and Aladdin.”

1) The state award book that I’m recommending is titled “The War That Saved My Life,” by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. It has a third to sixth grade reading level and it’s for a third to sixth grade reading audience. The book is about a ten-year-old girl named Ada, set during World War II with the fighting right on her door step. After hearing that information, Ada’s mother decides to send Ada’s little brother Jamie to the country, but she will not send Ada because she is embarrassed by Ada’s disability. Ada was born with a crippling clubfoot, and because of this her mother has never let Ada out of their apartment. But once Ada hears that her little brother is being sent away, she then begins to painfully teach herself to walk. On the night that Jamie leaves, Ada sneaks out of the apartment and boards the evacuation train with her little brother. At the end of their journey, they both arrive in the country village of Kent. The children are assigned an irritable woman named Susan, but soon enough she begins to love the children in her own way, and Ada finds her moment of freedom with a horse named Butter. When the bombing begins to loom over the country village, it threatens to take the children away from Susan. This new blended family will soon realize that the bombs are the least of their problems. I choose this book for Matthew because he had stated he likes reading books that have war stories in them, and this novel is full of what really happened to families during World War II. Matthew had written that his favorite magazine is “American Girl Doll,” that would lead me to believe that he enjoys stories where the main protagonist is a girl or woman. In this story, the main protagonist is a girl named Ada, so Matthew should have no problem getting immersed in this story.

Bradley, Kimberly Brubaker. The War That Saved My Life. New York City, Puffin Books, 2016.

2) The multicultural book that I’m recommending is titled “Gaijin: American Prisoner of War,” by Matt Faulkner and the story is inspired by the true story of Matt Faulkner's Great-Aunt. It has a fifth to eighth grade reading level and it’s for a fifth to eighth grade reading audience. The book is a graphic novel that tells the story about a thirteen-year-old boy named, Koji Miyamoto, who lives in San Francisco. On his birthday, the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor which then leads America to believe that the Japanese citizens on the West Coast are spies. Not long after that, Koji and his mother are sent to an internment camp called Alameda Downs. Life only gets harder for Koji once he moves into the internment camp; he is still an outsider because he’s only half Japanese. He is bombarded with racial slurs, fights, gossip about his mother, and bullied from Japanese boys and white American soldiers. Koji will have to start putting his trust in his mother and in his new elderly friend, Mr. Yoshi Asai, if he’s ever going to endure this horrible ordeal. I choose this book for Matthew because he had stated that he likes reading books that have war stories in them. This is a war story that shows a darker side of the United States in World War II; this war story is one that people have never heard about. One of Matthew’s favorite movie is “Aladdin,” that movie is about a young man that’s poor, steals when he has to, and has to fight for his right to be more than what he really is. This book is a lot like that movie, once Koji Miyamoto gets to the internment camp and has to start fighting for his right to survive.

Faulkner, Matt. Gaijin: American Prisoner of War. New York City, Disney Hyperion Books, 2014.

3) The non-fiction book that I’m recommending is titled “National Geographic Kids Cookbook: A Year-Round Fun Food Adventure,” by Barton Seaver. It has a third to sixth grade reading level and it’s for a third to sixth grade reading audience. This book is about cooking and baking, it’s a month to month guide to seasonal culinary activities. The recipes within this book include beginner snacks, such as “Witches' Toenail Trail Mix;” then they move into a more intermediate challenge, such as “Italian asparagus salad;” then they grow into a harder undertaking, that will push your cooking skills to their limits, such as “West African Maafe.” Encompassed in every recipe are extra tidbits of information, such as, the history of the food that you are preparing; interesting trivial facts about your nutritious meal; thematic craft projects that encompass what the recipe is about; and monthly culinary competitions that the whole family can enjoy. This delightful book has something to offer any child that wants to be a wizard in the kitchen. I chose this book for Matthew because his favorite hobby is baking, and this book is full of baking tips so he can improve his craft. Matthew had written that his favorite television programs are the Food Network and the Holiday Baking Championship; the area in this book that talks about how kids can have a family cooking competition is perfect for Matthew and his enjoyment of competitive cooking and baking. There is also a section on “family festive holiday meals” which coincides well with Matthew’s love of holiday baking.

Seaver, Barton. National Geographic Kids Cookbook: A Year-round Fun Food Adventure. Washington, National Geographic, 2014.

4) The free choice book that I’m recommending is titled “Hiding Out at the Pancake Palace,” by Nan Marino. It has a third to sixth grade reading level and it’s for a third to sixth grade reading audience. The book is about an 11-year-old boy named Elvis Ruby. He’s a musical prodigy and he’s heading for the top, but something terrible happens one night on a reality show. Elvis has to hide out in a small town in the pinelands of New Jersey and make pancakes at his Aunt and Uncle’s restaurant, but not everything is as it seems in this small town. Then a girl named Cecelia comes along and discovers Elvis’ secret and is going to tell the press where he’s hiding out, unless he will help her figure out a family legend and why there is strange music coming out of the woods. Elvis and Cecelia will learn fast that there is a power within secrets, but the trouble is, everybody seems to have one. I choose this book for Matthew because there is plenty of music intertwined within this novel, and his favorite movies are “The Music Man” and “Aladdin,” and his favorite entertainer is a musician named Danny KAE. Matthew wrote that he is interested in reading books with more mystery in them, this novel is fully jam-packed with mystery, who-done-it, and suspense.

Marino, Nan. Hiding out at the Pancake Palace. New York City, Roaring Brook Press, 2014.

message 12: by Alexa (last edited Jun 22, 2018 04:35PM) (new)

Alexa Marshall | 4 comments Riya is a soon-to-be fifth-grade girl who absolute loves to read! My favorite part of reading over her inventory was her answer to the last question, which was, “Say anything else that you would like to say about reading:” and Riya stated, “To me, reading is a really fun thing and I don’t know why people complain about reading for homework”. I not only thought her response was cute and funny, but it made me happy because I was obsessed with reading when I was her age as well. Riya has a fairly diverse love for books—especially for a student her age. She loves books all the way from classics like Little Women to fantasy stories like Tuesdays at the Castle and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. I chose four novels that I hope that Riya would enjoy reading due to her interests and favorite books.

The State Award-Winning Book that was I had chosen was The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. This was a Golden Sower nominee. This book is set during World War II and it is about a ten-year-old girl named Ada. She is disabled and has a clubfoot, and she unfortunately also has an extremely emotionally and physically abusive mother who will never let her out of their one-bedroom apartment. Ada’s brother gets shipped off to London to escape the war and she sneaks away to join him. In London, a woman named Susan Smith is forced to take them in and she begins to feel like she has a normal life with a loving, trustworthy family—but they still fear having to go live with their abusive mother again.
I chose this book for Riya because she loved Little Women. Little Women is set in the past and follows a group of sisters throughout their life, sharing their stories as individuals and as a family. I think that both Little Women and The War that Saved My Life are both very focused on the theme of family. Riya also noted in her interest inventory that she loves books that have adventure, and what’s more adventurous than two young children running away to London together during the middle of a war to begin a new life with a new family?

The multicultural text that I chose for Riya was Amal Unbound by Aisha Saeed. Amal is a girl who lives in a quiet Pakistani village. She loves education and wants to become a teacher when she grows up, but one day, she was forced to stop going to school and take care of her siblings and the household because she was the eldest daughter. While taking care of her family, she accidentally runs into her evil landlord’s son and then to repay her family’s debt, she has to work as an indentured servant at their creepy, dangerous home.
One reason that I chose Amal Unbound for Riya is because on Riya’s interest inventory, almost all her favorite books, shows, and movies all had a strong female hero as the protagonist. All her favorite celebrities on her interest inventory were also women. To me, choosing a book that revolves around a strong young girl is both very important and empowering to girls Riya’s age. I also chose this book because education and learning were very important to Amal. Riya stated in her interest inventory that she loves to read spends one to two hours a day reading for fun. Typically, students who enjoy reading level-challenging books often excel in their school work and enjoy education, so I had assumed that like Amal, Riya also loves and values school.

My nonfiction book that I chose for Riya was Big Top Burning: The True Story of an Arsonist, a Missing Girl, and the Greatest Show on Earth by Laura A. Woollett. This book is about a 1944 event of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus Performance where a fire mysteriously broke out a and spread at an incredible speed—killing 167 people. This book surrounds a central family—the Cook family, who were all in the audience that day and a 15-year-old boy named Robert who had a past record of fire setting. In the book, there is a large—multiple decades long, mystery surrounding the identity of the body of a little girl and whether Robert set the fire or not.
For this story, I thought it might push Riya out of her comfort zone of fantasy novels, but still give her the aspect of mystery in fantasy that she loves so much. She also likes ghost stories, and although this does not have any ghosts in it, the fact that it is a real-life (possible) mass murder due to fire is spooky to me. Throughout the book she can follow the clues and follow her own gut in trying to solve the mystery of how the fire started and who the unidentified body is. I also thought that Riya would like this book because of the theme of family, just like in The War that Saved My Life because of her interest in Little Women. This story following the Cook family shows different family dynamics and problems, but still exhibits a family nonetheless.

The fourth and final book that I have chosen for Riya is The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill. This book follows a girl named Luna. Luna was raised by a witch, and accidentally given powers that she now has to learn how to work with and control when her witch mother is nowhere near. There is a man in their town who is determined to kill the witch, and Luna, although not really a witch, must protect her community and family of witches.

This book has fantasy written all over it…which means that it is right up Riya’s alley. This would be an easy book-world for Riya to escape into during one of her extended hour reading sessions. This is also the exact type of book that I would have loved when I was her age, and fifth-grade-me had very similar tastes to what Riya has today. I also think that Riya would enjoy that the protagonist is a strong female again, just like in Amal Unbound. This book may not fit into the other categories, but I think that it would be a fun, whimsical read that would easily eat up Riya’s attention.

message 13: by Starla (last edited Jun 21, 2018 03:34PM) (new)

Starla | 4 comments Drew Balus is a 2nd grader going into 3rd grader in August 2018. He is currently reading “Charlotte’s Web” by E.B. White and it is a fantasy book. He enjoys the following series: Geronimo Stilton, Magic Tree House, and The Doll People series. Drew enjoys books both within a series and not within a series. His favorite topics include the toy store, fairy tales, summer, spring, A,B,C, Countdown, and his class. Drew also enjoys reading by himself.

The first fiction book I selected for Drew is called, “Danger in the Darkest Hour” by Mary Pope Osborne published in 2015. This book is part of the Magic Tree House series that Drew wrote that they he had really liked. This book is part of the Magic Tree House super edition series and is one of their most dangerous missions! I chose this one also due to the fact many do not know there is a super edition to the series. This book has a reading int level of K-3, but has a reading level of 4.1. However, the book Drew is currently reading has a higher reading level as well. Drew is going to love this book. I haven’t personally read all the books within this series, so I would want to finish reading the series before moving on to the super edition! I do not have a personal connection when it comes to this book because I have no read them since I was a kid and do not have any of the series.

The second fiction book I selected for Drew is called, “Audrey (Cow)” by: Dan Bar-el published in November 2014. This book is suggested on goodreads if you enjoyed Charlotte’s Web. Audrey is about a cow that has a love for poetry and had a clever format to the book. This book is about friendship and working together as a team, which is why I believe that Drew will like this book. One of his topics of interest was his class and this makes me believe he cares about helping others and friendships are important to him. I honestly will read this book myself because friendships and helping others are something that is extremely important in my life. This book does have a 5.8 reading level, so it may be way to advanced for Drew currently, but can be added to his list of books for the future.

The first non-fiction book I selected for Drew is called, “Magic Tree House Survival Guide” by: Mary Pope Osborne published in September 2014. This book is a survival guide on how Annie and Jack survive their adventures within the series. This book is a little above the 2nd to 3rd grade reading level, but just like before he is reading higher level books according to his survey. Drew will really enjoy this book because it is a series he enjoys and it is about their adventures. Also, having a background of behind the scenes of the books I believe will make Drew even more pumped up to read all of the books within the Magic Tree House series. I personally would enjoy having a background of how they survive their adventures within the book and hopefully Drew will to! Having a background to a book helps me have a better understanding of why the characters do what they do within the book and storyline.

The second non-fiction book I selected for Drew is called, “Cook me a story : a treasury of stories and recipes inspired by classic fairy tales” by Bryan Kozlowski published in June 2016. This book is a picture book for K-3 with a reading level of 4.6. This book is a cookbook based on classic fairy tales. Since, Drew stated he enjoyed fairy tales this will give them a twist that I believe he will enjoy! This book is interactive and could be used as a fun project with his mom or dad. His favorite fairy tales could have a food to go along with them, which would make him remember the storyline/fairy tale even better. I would personally enjoy pairing a fairy tale with a food! I enjoy baking especially when I have a purpose!

The third non-fiction book I selected for Drew is called, “Some Writer! : The Story of E.B. White” by Melissa Sweet published in 2016. I chose this book for Drew because I personally have read this book and really enjoyed it. He is currently reading Charlotte’s Web and Some Writer! : The Story of E.B. White explains how E.B. White had gotten where he did with not only his writing, but his life before he had passed. Having a back story of how he got to where was in life is an outstanding read. The book is written in half journal format and half “normal.” I think Drew will really enjoy this book. This book is a good chapter book that again provides background information of how and why E.B. White wrote what he did.

My multicultural book I selected for Drew is called, “La Princesa and the Pea” by Susan Middleton Elya published in 2017. I chose this book because it is an informal fairy tale based on the culture of Peru. It is also a picture book, which will allow for Drew to look at pictures and match them with the words. This book is about the prince being in love with the princess, but his mother doesn’t agree with the “relationship” and he has to come up with a sneaky plan. This book I believe Drew will enjoy because it is a fairy tale and has a hint of suspicion. This will give Drew a twist in the book and will allow for a different outlook on a fairy tale.

My state award book I selected for Drew is called, “We Are Growing” by Laurie Keller, Mo Willems published in September 2016. I selected this book because he enjoys both spring and summer. This book deals with plants growing, which takes place in the spring/summer time. It is also a silly picture book that allows for Drew to enjoy looking at pictures and have a good laugh. I also enjoy both spring and summer, so I can relate to Drew! Both seasons allow for you to explore what the outdoors have to offer and you can watch plants grow. I really think Drew will like this book!

message 14: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Adams (Haruhara) | 3 comments Interest summary:
For Josephine’s literature appeal profile, I used books from her interest survey and used the books, interests, habits, and other media information to create a functional set of book factors to look for. The first thing that stood out to me upon reading her interest survey is her love of reading. Josephine reads daily for at least half an hour, visits her library regularly, owns a large collection of books, and views reading as entertainment since she was a child and her loved ones read to her. Due to this factor I have chosen to stick with primarily chapter books over picture books.
In her survey she indicated that she is highly interested in mysteries. She cites enjoying Goonies, The Boxcar Children, and twice on the inventory marked or chose “mysteries” as a preferred genre. Many of her titles also pointed towards stories that focus more on the characters than the plot itself. Titles such as The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Goonies, and the Captain Underpants books all point to a focus on character-driven stories. Another aspect that came up on her survey was a sense of excitement and adventure. In her hobbies she mentioned jumping on a trampoline which is a baseline for craving excitement. She also loved Goonies, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and the stories of Captain Underpants which are full of action and adventure adding adventure stories to her profile. She selected comic strips as a section of the newspaper she enjoyed and cites fun, entertainment, the show The Goldbergs, and once again Captain Underpants showing she enjoys a humorous tone to her books and entertainment. With her enjoyment of Captain Underpants media as well as enjoying comics I may be able to add a graphic novel to her profile as well. Her enjoying the entertainment section of the newspaper, enjoying both The Goldbergs and Bizaardvark show that she has an interest in the entertainment industry as well.
There were also some minor hits from the books she listed that I will take into consideration. Fairytales and folklore came up with the Land of Stories series she wants more books from. Super hero stories may be a minor interest from Captain Underpants stories. Most of her stories were realistic in nature but she does enjoy folktales and the Land of Stories series, so fantasy may be a minor interest. Among her many mystery and adventure titles she also showed some interest in stories with a silly tone from Captain Underpants. She mentioned enjoying plays and war stories on her checklist but did not provide further examples in her written answers, so I will add these to the minor interest portion as well. Based on the titles she gave me I have an average reading level of 4.7 for her 4th grade year so I will try to keep her reading levels between a 5 and a 6 for 5th grade. All her books listed in her survey had an interest level of 4th to 6th grade so I will try to keep in that range.
Booklist:
Award winner – Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library
In this book Mr. Lemoncello has invited students to a lock in at the new library he built to try to become his company’s new spokesperson. They will have to solve many puzzles to find the truth behind the mystery of how to leave the library with only what is in the library to help them! The story revolves around Kyle as he competes in the mysterious contest in a town that hasn’t had a library in 12 years! I selected this book for many reasons, the first of which it is a mystery novel which appears to be Josephine’s favorite genre. It also has a fun and humorous tone that match what I found in her interest survey as well. In addition to this, Josephine has a rich love of reading and libraries, which this book is geared towards. For the discussion points my first would be that she loves books, libraries, and mysteries, so what could be better than a book about a mystery inside a library? Secondly, she likes things with a comedic aspect to them and this is a mystery with a silly premise. Finally, she is an advanced novel reader for her age and this is at the high end of her grade level, so it should provide a fun and attainable challenge.
Multicultural – Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer
Sophie Brown has many life events that cause her family to move from L.A. to her uncle’s farm. This big change ends up becoming even more dramatic for her when she discovers the chickens have special powers. Sophie must protect her spectacular chickens from a neighboring farmer who’s after them while keeping their powers a secret! I chose this novel as my multicultural novel first because it an amusing adventure book. Josephine has a love of adventure books and most of her stories keep to a humorous tone to varying degrees. She also enjoys fantasy to some extent and this is a low fantasy set in a realistic world, so it should be the light toe dip she desires. Her survey also had a small reference to super heroes from her enjoyment of the Captain Underpants franchise so comical super powered chickens seemed like a good fit. My first discussion point would be that what could be a bigger adventure than leaving your city life behind to live on a farm, especially if that farm was the home of five magical chickens? Another discussion point would be that she enjoys comics and the fun, lighthearted animations should help illustrate the bizarre world of the farm. Finally, she enjoys reading for fun and the amusing tale of Sophie will be a fun and enjoyable read.
Nonfiction – The Big Book of Treasures: The Most Amazing Discoveries Ever Made and Still to be Made
This nonfiction title chronicles the discovery of different treasures from around the world. Embark on the adventure of finding sunken ships, ancient stone armies, ancient religious relics, and other legends of our world. Discover a world of mystery and adventure right on your own planet! I chose this for my non-fiction title to match her enjoyment of adventure novels and place them in the real world. It contains fun and cartoony illustrations that should fit right in with a lover of the funny pages who is also a skilled reader. The process of how real-world mysteries are discovered should also be of interest to Sophie. My first discussion point would be that she loves to read about adventure in her novels, so here is a group of small adventures that happened right on our own planet. Secondly, I think you would enjoy seeing how anthropologists solve the mysteries of where great relics of the ancient world disappeared to. Finally, I think that you might enjoy reading about these real-life mysteries with a fun and animated background to help bring you into the chase for the relics!
Free choice – Captain Coconut and the Case of the Missing Bananas
Partake on the bumbling crime solving adventure of Captain Coconut tries to solve the mystery of the missing bananas. Follow him through his bizarre slapstick adventure to find the bananas. Captain Coconut can’t seem to solve the mystery of opening his office door, will he be able to crack the case of the missing bananas? I chose this for my final choice to add a graphic novel to Sophie’s reading recommendations since she enjoys the comics section of the paper. Her love of humorous and sometimes silly stories also makes this a great fit. With an advanced reading level for her age the higher level graphic novel should be a comfortable read for her. For my discussion about the book I would mention that she enjoys following the boxcar children on their adventures, but what if those mysteries had a little more falling on banana peels? You enjoy the comics section and Captain Underpants, so this zany mystery should be a fun read. With fun references to comedies and illustrated comedy movie techniques this should be a fun read for someone interested in entertainment as well!
Extras – The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street (Mystery, Reading Level, Novel, Character Driven)
Pax (Character driven, Adventure, reading level, War era stories)

References:
EBSCO. (2017). The secret language of books: A guide to appeal (2nd edition).
Ipswich, MA: EBSCO. Retrieved from
https://www.ebscohost.com/uploads/nov...
EBSCO. (2018) Escape from mr. lemoncello’s library: Novelist K-8 plus. Retrieved from:
http://search.ebscohost.com.leo.lib.u...
EBSCO. (2018) Unusual chickens for the exceptional poultry farmer: Novelist K-8 plus.
Retrieved from: http://search.ebscohost.com.leo.lib.u...
EBSCO. (2018) The big book of treasures: Novelist K-8 plus. Retrieved from:
http://search.ebscohost.com.leo.lib.u...
EBSCO. (2018) Captain Coconut & the case of the missing bananas: Novelist K-8 plus.
Retrieved from: http://search.ebscohost.com.leo.lib.u...
Twain, M. (1994). The adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Mineola, NY: Dover
Publications.
Warner, G.C. & Deal, L.K. (1989). The boxcar children. Park Ridge, IL: Albert Whitman
& Company.
Colfer, C. & Dorman, B. (2013). Land of stories: The wishing spell. Boston, MA: Little,
Brown Books for Young Readers
Bernhard, H. (Producer) & Donner, R. (Director). (1985). Goonies [Motion Picture].
United States: Warner Brothers.
Soria, M. (Producer) & Soren, D. (Director). (2017). Captain underpants: The first epic
Movie
[Motion Picture]. United States: Universal Studios.
Levy, D. (Producer). (2013-). The Goldbergs [Television Series]. Culver City, CA: Sony
Pictures Television.
Shubb, J. (Producer). (2016-). Bizaardvark [Television Series]. Los Angeles, CA:
Disney-ABC Domestic Television.

message 15: by Dani (new)

Dani Kraft | 3 comments Student Interest Inventory
The student that I was given to help give book recommendations to was Madison McGreer. She is a first grader with a great taste in books! Madison enjoys realistic fiction, mystery, and informational books. Her favorite topics to read about are friendship, fairies, animals, and cooking books. She is currently reading Lea Drives by Lisa Yee. This is a chapter book and it is 147 pages long. Her favorite chapter books currently include: Humphrey, Rainbow Magic, Ivy and Bean, and Magic Tree House. Madison feels that she is best at understanding what she is reading. This is very impressive for a first grader! If she can handle understanding the content of a book, then she should be able to read almost anything in or around her age range.
The first book that I choose for Madison was a nonfiction book titled National Geographic Kids! Weird but true 6. I choose this book for many different reasons. The first one being that it is a non-fiction book. Second of all, this book is very informational. Although Madison seems to be a little more into fiction novels, this book seemed to fit her interest level in different ways. When I was younger I really enjoyed reading types of books like this. The book is a chapter book and would challenge Madison from her everyday type of reading. It is a different format of a book and something she could have fun reading. It still is informational which is something that she likes to read about, but it is about topics she probably has never heard of! This book is for all grade levels and I think it would be a positive learning and reading experience for Madison to take on! The next book that I choose for Madison was a multicultural book. This book is titled Last Stop on Market Street by Matt De La Pena. This book is for grades Pre-K all the way through second grade. I choose this book because it was a good lesson for Madison to learn. It also was on the realistic fiction side and I knew she enjoyed books like that. This book Madison could put herself in Cj’s shoes as he wonders why his friends don’t’ live exactly like him. The book is about CJ and his grandma. CJ wonders why after they leave church and ride the bus across town why things are different for him and his grandma. CJ takes notice that his friends have iPod’s and aren’t’ dropped off in the dirty part of the town. His grandma although is being discriminated against, sees the brighter side of the situation. She helps CJ see the brighter side the situation rather than being angry or upset. Even though everyone deserves equal rights, CJ’s grandma embodies a beautiful person and gives CJ a valuable lesson. The next book I choose was titled Juna’s Jar by Jane Bahk. This book is about a little girl who had a best friend named Hector. Hector and Juna enjoyed doing many things together, one of them including collecting things in kimchi jars. Sadly, one day her friend Hector moves away! He moves away so sudden that he doesn’t get a chance to say goodbye to Juna. Juna then is determined to find her friend and uses the powers of the kimchi jar to do that. I choose this book for Madison because it is a mystery type book. I thought that it was something that she would be interested in since she enjoys mysteries. Finally, the last book that I choose was When I Grow Up by Al Yankovic. This book is about a little boy named Billy. He has a broader idea of what he wants to be when he grows up. Instead of being a teacher or a doctor he wants to work with snails or become a sumo wrestler. I choose this book for Madison because it is a golden state award book. I think that even though it is on the easier side, every child should read a book that is worthy enough of an award. I think since she enjoys reading about animals and friendships this book would be perfect for her. Madison can live through Billy with his friends and work with the animals that Billy wants to work with when he is older.
All of these books reminded me of the books I liked to read when I was younger. When I was younger I really enjoyed reading about animals and food as well. Although I did not find a specific book about animals, Madison and I are similar because that was high on my interest list when I was younger. The book I think I would enjoy the most is definitely Juna’s Jar. Madison and I could both enjoy this book because of the mystery aspect. All together these books remind me of my younger self and how much I used to love reading these types of books.
Overall, this experience helped me learn three things. The first thing is that not all kids are the same. I assumed when I was receiving a first grader to recommend books to that she would be into puppies, kittens, and sleepover stories. Madison was interested in realistic fiction, mysteries, and informational stories. This opened my eyes to the different types of students I will be dealing with in the future. It really made me think because when I am a teacher, I will have to recommend books based on facts about the child. I can’t just recommend a book to a child because I think that a girl her age would like it. Recommending books takes a lot more work than just looking up “Books that 1st grade girls would like” on google. The second thing that I learned was that Madison is a first grader and she is reading books that are not exactly at her level. She enjoys chapter books at such a young age. I only suggested one chapter book, but that was because I wanted to broaden her spectrum of books she was reading. I learned that kids can really be baby genius’s. The final thing that I learned was how much I love helping kids! Although it is a lot of work, it makes my heart warm that Madison will really be receiving my book recommendations. I can’t wait until I am a teacher and can recommend books to real kids in my classroom. I really enjoy helping kids in any way possible and this was such a different way. I work at a community center and I help talk with the kids and teach them games. This is the first time I was able to help a child in a real teacher way and that was my favorite thing to learn how to do! This class has helped me not only know books to read to my future students, but many more assessing tips, cute claps, and how reading should be a choice. Overall, I hope that I helped Madison be the best reader that she can be and I had a great time doing it!

message 16: by Caleb (new)

Caleb R | 4 comments The student I was assigned was Jack, He is in third grade and is going to be in fourth grade in the next school year. He enjoys books about basketball and possibly sports books. He wants a book that is funny, or scary, or even a book that has action or adventures. His selected genres were fantasy, realistic fiction, and science fiction. I can tell from his interests that he likes books that are harder and he has a more advanced reading level than his peers. That is why I have assigned three chapter books and only one picture book. These are the four books I have selected for him:
The Wild Robot. - Peter brown State Winner
Summary: A robot finds herself trapped on a wild island. She has no idea what her purpose is, or how she got there. She sees a ton of crates where her ship had crashed and other robots smashed to bits. She decides to try to live on the land and learn her purpose in life, and things seem to take a turn for the better when the animals begin to accept her into their family. However, her past has a way of catching up with her.

I chose this book for Jack because it seems to be a book that is a little scary, but full of action and adventure. The writing style is engaging and draws the reader into the book trying to guess, or predict what happens next, but is still somehow caught off guard with the twists. The chapters are short and it is written in third person to keep the mystery of the story.

Discussion points: If you were trapped in an island what would you do? If you could bring 3 things what would they be? If you were a robot how would you camouflage yourself? Roz tried grass.

Step up to the plate. – Maria Singh – Multicultural
Nine-year-old Maria really wanted to be on the first ever girls’ softball team in Yuba City California. The story is set in the spring of 1945 and it is in the middle of world war II. Maria’s teacher was inspired by Baseball Legend Babe Ruth to start a baseball league, however back at home Maria’s parents are dealing with some issues of their own. Her dad is from India and her mom is from Mexico and they are fighting against prejudice and racist to keep the rights of their farm. Maria realizes she needs to find her voice in this difficult situation, and also her swing.

The reason I chose this book Is I saw Jack was interested in basketball and with the summer starting the sport that is being played right now is baseball. This story is focused on a girl dealing with simple issues of wanting to play a sport she loves, but also trying to keep her home safe. There is plenty of action and suspense in a book about softball.

Discussion points: Have you ever seen someone treated unfairly? How do you think they felt? What are some athletes you look up to? Do you think Maria made the team?
Liberty Porter, First Daughter Julia Defilers Free choice
Most nine-year-old olds have a lot going on in their life, especially when their dad starts a new job, they have to move to a new city, and they have to break in a house for their liking. Oh I am pretty sure I forgot to include something. Oh well, I am sure it will come to me. The story follows little Liberty Porter as she gets used to living in a new city with her dog Franklin. That reminds me, her dad is the president of the United States. Follow Liberty as she is followed to school, the park and everywhere by secret service, but still finding ways to find exciting adventures.

Why I chose this book was because it was a fun little realistic fiction story about a little girl finding her way into a huge house and her dad dealing with huge responsibility. I also found it interesting how her and her dog seems to always find something exciting to do in each chapter. Likewise, if you like the first book this book is in a three book series which is good for Jack because he prefers his books in series.

Discussion points: Where would you hide your snacks in the white house? What would you do if you had a body guard following you all the time?
Dazzle Ships: World war I and the Art of Confusion - Nonfiction.

World war I was a dangerous place on land, but even more dangerous was in the see. In the English Channel there was a large amount of ships out carrying supplies for the allies so there was a lot of German submarines out trying to sink them. A clever man came up with an idea to hide the ships from German torpedoes changing normal ships into crazy dazzling artwork. Follow along with pictures to see the artwork.

The reason I chose this book is because it has a very interesting story about the combat used in world war I. Also this is a tougher book to read which I think Jack will enjoy the challenge, plus the pictures tell a colorful story about camouflage and keeping American and British ships safe.

Discussion points? What colors would you use to paint your ship? Can you think of some animals that use camouflage in nature?

message 17: by Curt (new)

Curt | 4 comments Interest Summary
Avery is going into third grade and is currently reading A thief at the National Zoo. At 87 pages, this is an impressive choice considering the reading level is 3.7. She is advanced for her age. Her genres of choice include folk tales & legends, mystery, and informational texts. As far as topics she likes reading about animals, science, adventure, and history. She prefers to read series books like Capital Mystery, A-Z Mysteries, and Magic Tree House books. As a reader, her best quality is her loud voice for her classmates to hear.

state award
She persisted is a book about 13 American women who fought for their rights despite being told to sit down and be quiet. Some historic figures include Harriet Tubman, Helen Keller, Sally Ride, and Oprah Winfrey. I chose this book for Avery so she can learn about strong, historic women. Avery can also learn the power and use of her loud voice. Some discussion points I have are what do you see today that these women have made possible? If you could talk to any of these women, who would it be and what would you say?

multicultural
Beauty and the beast stories around the world: 3 beloved tales (Multicultural Fairytales) is a collection of different spins on the classic folk tale of Beauty and the Beast as told from different cultural perspectives. Beauty and the Beast is a story we all know, but it’s not the only way it’s been told. The reason I chose this book is because it aligns with her genre interest of folk tales & legends. Another reason is it includes both animals and adventure to suite some of her favorite topics. The book is also at a 3.5 reading level which is on par with her ability. Some discussion points I have are what are some differences between the story you know and the stories you’ve read? Which is your favorite? Did they end how you expect?

nonfiction

Awesome animal heroes is a book series on wildlife experts who fought for animal rights. Conservationists in the books include Steve Irwin, Jane Goodall, Cesar Millan, and more. This could be a fun nonfiction pair to her current reading of A Thief at the National Zoo. The first reason why I chose this book is because the level is 3.2 which is a good level for Avery since she’ll be entering the 3rd grade. The other reasons I chose this is because it is a 6 volume series on animals which are both part of her interests. She gets to learn about animals and their rights. She can learn about both animals and their history. Some discussion points would be which animal activist did you like best? How do you think that activist chose which animal to help? Do you think there are still animals that need help?

free choice
Ada Lace is about a third grade girl who is a scientist and inventor. Using technology, she solves mysteries with her science and math skills. I chose this book because it combines a lot of Avery’s interests: mystery, science, and adventure. The main character is even in third grade, so Avery can relate to her age. Some discussion points I have are who do you think took the neighbor’s dog? Why do you think they took the dog? What would you invent to get the dog back?

message 18: by Caurie (last edited Jun 21, 2018 06:48PM) (new)

Caurie Kuzelka | 4 comments My students name is Jackson who was in 4th grade and is going into 5th. A very common theme throughout his reading interest survey was a love for sports; and more specifically basketball. He said basketball is his hobby, the only two types of books he checked were sports and car stories, and he even put ESPN as his favorite TV show. Aside from sports he stated a slight interest in politics, which I found cool coming from a 5th grader, and listed Star Wars as one of the best movies he has ever seen. It was kind of hard to find books that weren't just about sports, but since he is so passionate, I figure he couldn't get enough.

State Award:

Soar by Joan Bauer is an exciting tale of a young man named Jeremiah who was abandoned at birth. When his adoptive father gets a new assignment for work, they have to move to a new city. Jeremiah's passionate about baseball but has an operation on his heart and is told he can no longer play the sport he loves. So he decides to coach. In his new town, he soon finds out about the town scandal and sees that the once great baseball team is about to be forgotten He takes this as an opportunity to coach them back to greatness and restore their honor. I think Jackson would enjoy this book because Jeremiah is so passionate about the sport that he loves and I think he could connect to that. Another reason this would be a good book is because Jeremiah has to explore a new city and navigate all new people which I think is something Jackson will have to encounter as he goes into a new school year with all new people. Discussion points I have would be "I know you love sports and this book is all about a passionate 12 year old, who is close to your age, that coaches a baseball team to victory. I also know that you are going into a new grade and this book might help you to navigate your new world. Do you think a 12 year old can really coach a baseball team? Read and find out."

Multicultural:

The Only Road by Alexandra Diaz is a suspenseful story of a young boy named Jaime who has to make the hard choice of staying in his Guatemalan town run by a powerful gang, or flee so that he doesn't have to live a life of crime. Jaime and his cousin flee there land for America is this exciting and heartwarming novel. I think Jackson would like this book because he talked about how he likes Donald Trump and since Trump is trying to keep people like Jaime from illegally entering the United States, I think Jackson would get a new perspective on what that really means for the people who are coming over illegally. He also said that he would like to be more into politics and families and children crossing the border is a very current event that is happening that involves lots of politics so I think he would like it. Also, the last book Jackson read was a suspenseful book so I think he would enjoy the suspense of this book. Some discussion points for Jackson could be "The last book you read was a suspense novel, so I think you might like this suspenseful book about a young boy like you that has to make the hard choice of leaving his family and coming to America. I know you also like Donald Trump and this book has a little bit to do with some of the things Donald is all about so I think it would be rather informational for you. Would you ever leave your family for a better life? Read and find out how Jaime does it."

Non-Fiction:

A Time to Act: John F. Kennedy's Big Speech by Shana Corey is an insightful look into President Kennedy's life growing up and the events that led him to his big speech and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. I think Jackson would like this book because he likes our current president, so I think he might be interested to learn the politics of a former president. Jackson also says that he likes to read because he can do it when he is bored. Since this is a lively picture book, I think it would make reading it a lot more fun and he could look at all the cool illustrations while learning about our nations political history. Some talking points might be "I know you have a little bit of an interest in politics. This book is about America's past politics and I think you might be interested to learn about it. It is also a picture book so it is an easy and more fun read than a normal chapter book. Why don't you read to find out why people think John F. Kennedy was such a good president."

Free Choice:

The Crossover by Kwame Alexander is the story that follows to twin boys and their journey of navigating school, family life, and the fact that they are basketball stars. I obviously picked this book for Jackson because it is all about basketball; his favorite sport. The book is current and popular and I think Jackson would really enjoy the story of basketball players. It is also a short read because it is written in verse, so Jackson could read it when he is bored. he also says he only reads about 20 minutes a day so this would be an easy book to pick up and put down in short intervals. I would tell Jackson "This book is about two boys who LOVE basketball and I know you do too so I thought you might like it. It is also fairly short since it is written in verse and should be a faster read for you. Why don't you read it and find out how the main characters balance their home and school life with their passion for basketball"

I think I gave Jackson some pretty good book recommendations considering the minimal information he gave me. I kept two of the books as sports books because that is something he clearly loves and I had the other two books be more though provoking and relatable to his budding interest in politics. I think by also giving him a wide range of formatting of books (chapter book, written in verse, and picture book) I provided him with lot's of options to choose from depending on the reading mood he is in. I learned a lot about this process by figuring out what kinds of books Jackson would like. I learned that a book might look boring or hard on the outside but is really a fun learning experience once you get reading. I think I learned how to better tailor the needs of individual students to their interests in reading because most of the books I recommended are not books I would have normally recommended to most students. I learned that it is important to get to know the student well before you try to successfully recommend books to them. This was a fun project and I am glad I got to experience it.

message 19: by Justina (new)

Justina Wemhoff | 4 comments Summary of Interest Inventory:

The student whose reading interest inventory I picked is Avery, who will be a third grader in the fall. She enjoys folk tales, legends, mysteries, and learning new information. This is apparent because topics she enjoys are animals, science, history and adventure, and some of the books she’s enjoyed reading are A-Z Mysteries and Magic Tree House. She also enjoys reading series, but many series I found did not fit into the categories we needed to select books for.

My State Award Book selection is called Ninja Red Riding Hood by Corey Schwartz and was published in 2014. This book is a retelling of the classic Red Riding Hood. In this version of the story, Wolf has been beaten once by pigs who know karate. He then takes up lessons and goes after a little girl and her grandma. He’s in for a surprise when he discovered Little Red also knows karate. Avery’s age is tricky because few NE state award books are chapter books within her reading level. I decided that was okay because most children her age still enjoy good quality picture books. I felt that she would like this books because it is quite action packed (in the way of adventure stories) with running, hiding, chasing, and fighting. I also felt that she would enjoy it because she mentioned a strong interest in folk tales and legends. Classic fairy tales fall heavily into that category. I would want to discuss with her how this version of the fairy tale compares to other versions she has heard. I would ask her what she thinks of animals learning to play karate.

My multicultural selection is called The Nian Monster by Andrea Wong, and it was published in 2016. I felt that I ran into a similar problem with multicultural books as I did with state award books. They tended to lean toward picture books (some were geared to older children) and chapter books a bit too advanced for Avery’s level. I found some great chapter book series with multicultural elements, but they were significantly too old. The story I chose is about a legendary Nian monster that returns every New Year with the goal of destroying Shanghai. A young girl named Xingling cleverly discovers a way to stop him. The reason I really think that Avery will enjoy this is because it is extremely adventurous agai. Xingling is courageous and clever as she works to protect her people. This multicultural book also relies heavily on ancient legends. This is informational as well because Avery would be learning about another culture. One of the main things I would discuss with her is what other legendary monsters she has heard of as well as what cultures (or places) they may have been created. I would discuss with her other ways Xingling could have solved the dangerous situation.

My nonfiction selection is called Ivan: The Remarkable True Story of a Shopping Mall Gorilla by Katherine Applegate, and it was published in 2014. This is the real story of a gorilla captured as a baby who was used at a mall to draw in shoppers. People didn’t like that life for Ivan, so they fought to get him a better home at Zoo Atlanta. Avery mentioned that she really likes reading about animals, so I think this book is perfect for her. She read and enjoyed Magic Tree House books and A Thief at National Zoo, so the zoo element will add extreme appeal. It is also a bit of an adventure story because the gorilla Ivan is on his own adventure from Congo to Washington and finally to Atlanta. I would discuss with Avery whether or not she thought it was ok to own and raise wild animals. I’d maybe discuss with her problems that could arise from capturing and owning wild animals. For fun, I may just ask what wild animal she would want for a pet if she could have one.

My final book selection for Avery is called Cam Jansen and the Joke House Mystery by David Adler, and it was published in 2014. It is part of a series, so if Avery would want to, she could start with the first one, which is outside of the publication requirements for this assignment. This book is about a young girl Cam, who has a photographic memory that she solves mysteries with. Her aunt entered a comedy club contest for which the prize disappeared. Cam has to solve the case and find the prize. I really wanted to make sure that I included some sort of mystery selection for Avery. I had similar interests to her when I was younger, and I loved this story. I also wanted to include a good series that she could read a lot of as she becomes a stronger reader throughout this summer and her next school year. I think the series element as well as Cam’s adventurous side will appeal to Avery. If I could discuss with Avery while she is reading the book, I would ask her where she thinks the prize is at, who took it, why did they take it, etc. I would ask her to tell me what clues Cam has found or seen that made her guess about the ending. I would maybe ask her what characteristics make her like or dislike the character of Cam Jansen.

message 20: by Huyen-Yen (new)

Huyen-Yen Hoang | 3 comments Student Summary
For this assignment, I was given the reader’s interest survey of a student named Avery. Avery will enter the 3rd grade this fall and enjoys reading series books. Specifically, Avery enjoys historical mysteries based upon folktales, legends, and real life events. Avery also enjoys reading about animals, science, and adventure. Likewise, Avery’s favorite series are the Capital Mystery, A-Z Mysteries, and Magic Treehouse series. All of which, are well within the 3rd grade reading level. I wanted to help Avery expand outside of the mystery genre and continue developing as a reader, so I chose some books within the 3 reading level, and works that encompassed Avery’s other interests. The following are the selections I made:
1.) State Award - Monster Science by Helaine Becker
This book won Michigan’s Great Lakes Great Books Award in the 2016-2017 school year. I chose this book because it is a blend of science, mythology, and history. Covering topics such as Frankenstein, Vampires, bigfoot, Zombies, Wereworld, and the Sea Monster, I believe that this will capture and maintain Avery’s interest.
2.) Multicultural - Momotaro: Xander and the Lost Island by Margaret Dilloway
This book won an Asian/Pacific American Award honor in the 2016-2017 school year. This book incorporates the japanese folklore of Momotaro, a strong warrior with modern times. Xander, the main protagonist, finds himself as the last in line of the legacy of Momotaro, being one of his descendents, he must aboard a magical ship to save his father, who is swallowed by a tsunami that appears out of nowhere. I chose this book for Avery because of its clever usage of folklore, a sense of adventure, and it being the first in a series. Aside from its adventurous plot, I also reasoned that if Avery liked this book, Avery would be able to look forward to the rest of the series.
3.) Nonfiction - Giant Squid by Candace Fleming
This book won a Robert F. Sibert honor in 2017. This book uncovers the greatest mystery of the sea - the giant squid. It uses beautiful imagery of the elusive creature to try and reveal all its secrets. I chose this book because of its representation of an informational science topic. I believe that Avery will enjoy reading this book due to Avery’s interest in animals and science.
4.) Free Choice - Finding Winnie by Lindsay Mattick
This book won the Caldecott Medal in 2016. I chose this book because it reflected Avery’s interests in animals and history. The book follows the life of a rescued bear cub in Ontario. Until this class, I had no idea that Winnie the Pooh was based off of a real bear. I would like to share this with Avery because not only is a neat fact in history, it is a heartwarming story that everyone should be aware of whether or not they are a fan of the animated series. It also appeals to Avery’s interests in animals, and history.

message 21: by Brian (last edited Jun 21, 2018 10:57PM) (new)

Brian Duffy | 4 comments When looking through Jackson’s survey I can safely conclude that Jackson is a basketball fanatic. He specifically mentions basketball eight times throughout his answers. The only two differing answers was that he also likes reading about cars and a book about a tsunami. I chose to focus on basketball for all four books because that allowed the most flexibility and it seems to be what Jackson gets excited about.

For my award-winning book I chose “The Crossover” by Terreece Clarke. Crossover is a novel in verse about two brothers who play basketball who learn why their father stopped playing professionally. I chose this because it is emotional, dramatic poetry centered around basketball, while still being age-appropriate.

For my multicultural book I chose the manga “Slam Dunk, Volume 1” by Takehiko Inoue. The main character Hanamichi is an ostracised student who bonds with a girl who is a basketball fan as he learns to play the sport. I chose this book because Jackson has expressed an interest in books with action and this manga has very exaggerated action.

For my nonfiction book I chose the “Big Book of WHO Basketball” by the editors of Sports Illustrated Kids. This book consists of one hundred and twenty-eight pages of profiles, facts, and statistics of the best basketball players. I chose this for Jackson because he already reads Slam magazine and I think this fulfil a similar information need.

For my free choice book I chose “Fast Break” by Mike Lupica. Jayson’s mom dies and her boyfriend abandoned him. He is adopted by affluent foster parents and moves to a new town. He is a very talented basketball player and ultimately plays against his home team. I chose this book because Jackson expressed that he loves ESPN and the author, Mike Lupica, is an ESPN radio personality.

References
Alexander, K. (2014). The crossover (Texas lone star reading list, 2015-2016). Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Inoue, T., & McConnick, K. (2008). Slam dunk (Shonen Jump manga ed. ed., Vol. Vol. 1, sakuragi /, Shonen jump manga). San Francisco, Calif.: Viz Media.

Big book of who: The 101 stars every fan needs to know (Vol. , basketball, Sports illustrated kids). (2015). New York, NY: Time Books.

Lupica, M. (2017). Fast break. New York, NY: Scholastic.

message 22: by Maritsa (new)

Maritsa Vazquez | 4 comments Jackson will begin the 5th grade this upcoming school year. From the student interest survey, one thing I know for sure is that Jackson loves basketball. His favorite hobby is basketball, his favorite TV program is ESPN, and his favorite magazine is Slam-an American basketball magazine. Aside from Star Wars, one of the best movies Jackson has ever seen is Space Jam. Clearly, he is passionate about basketball. Jackson likes to read and spends about 20 minutes a day reading. Currently, he owns about 200 books, and when he is bored, he finds reading fun. Considering Jackson’s age, it’s neat that he also finds news and political stories interesting. Listed below are my book recommendations for Jackson.

State Award: Ghost by Jason Reynolds

Ghost is the story of a troubled teen who has been running from his past. Castle Crenshaw (Ghost) experienced a traumatic event at an early age and has lived a difficult life ever since. Ghost's favorite game is basketball; however, he has a natural ability to run. One day he comes across a track team during practice and challenges their best sprinter to a race. Ghost wins and the coach, and ex-Olympic Medalist urges Ghost to join the team. Ghost must learn the discipline of track as he learns a few life lessons along the way. The reason I chose this book for Jackson is because of his interest in sports. The main character is about Jackson’s age and relatable to. The book is short and an easy read that engages readers from the start. The author, Jason Reynolds, is an exhilarating writer and aims to write books that leave you wanting more. The characters, writing style, and track theme make this a great pick for Jackson.

Multicultural: Crossover by Kwame Alexander

This book tells the story of twin brothers who are amazing on the court. The story is narrated by one of the twins who share their differences as they grow up and feel as if they are drifting apart. However, they both have basketball which helps them navigate through their struggles. Jackson would love this book. The story is written in verse, so it reads quick. Considering this book is about basketball, Jackson's favorite sport, chances are he'll be hooked and have a hard time putting the book down. While the book is centered around basketball, the story deals with much more including family, courage, and responsibility.

Nonfiction: A Time to Act: John F. Kennedy's Big Speech by Shana Corey

This book begins with a short history of John F Kennedy's life. However, the focal point of the book is about his presidency and his involvement with the civil rights movement. I think Jackson may appreciate this book because he is interested in political stories. The book is well written and illustrated and can teach Jackson about an important period in American history.

Free choice: Ryan Quinn and the Rebel's Escape by Ron McGee

Ryan Quinn is a teenager who has grown up in different parts of the world. When he and his family finally settled in New York his world is shattered when his parents go missing. Ryan soon finds out his parents have been living a double life and were secretly training him to follow in their footsteps. Now, it is up to Ryan to save his family. Recently, Jackson read an intense and suspenseful story, so I thought he may enjoy another exciting book. The story is fast paced, and action packed so it will keep Jackson intrigued.

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Howard | 1 comments I chose to interview a third-grade student that I have in library classes this year, Madalynn Hawley. Madalynn is also the daughter of a good friend of mine. She has always been well reserved, shy, and quiet when I have been around her in the past. The one quality that I knew of her before the interview was how big of a heart she has. I wasn’t surprised to see her favorite movies were, Inside Out and Wonder. She cares about people. She cares about different causes, animals, and wants to be helpful to anything she can. I interviewed her one on one and got a chance to visit with her more in depth as she filled out the student inventory. Madalynn comes from a very literate family with both of her parents being teachers. She was read to as a child and likes to read independently, even in her spare time. Madalynn is involved with basketball and plays with dolls and loves to play school with her friends. She remembers her teacher reading the Magic Treehouse Series and enjoyed starting these on her own. These were the first series she became involved in. She enjoyed the Owl diaries and is currently reading the Whatever After Series. She loves fairy tales but appears to pick a “popular series,“ and states she has a hard time knowing what to start next when finishing a series she is enjoying. The 4 books I chose for Madalynn are;

State award book: Wish by Barbara O’Conner
OConnor, B. (2017). Wish. New York: Scholastic.

This story is about a girl named Charlie who has to move from her home where she is unwanted. With a new family, new home, and new school, Charlie has a difficult life. That is until she finds a friend in a neighbor boy and a stray dog that changes her heart. I chose this book for Madalynn because of her love for animals and her compassion for people. We began this book as an example during library skills class to work on text to text, text to self, and self to world connections. I could see the connections she was making as I modeled and discussed the first chapter to them. We broke into groups to explore the second chapter and make connections. Madalynn fell in love with Charlie and really wanted to find out more about Charlie’s Wish and the introduction of the dog into the story.

Non-fiction book: The Unwanted Stories of the Syrian Refugees by Don Brown
Brown, D. (2018). The unwanted: Stories of the Syrian refugees. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

This graphic novel tells the true story of refugees that fled Syria because of the tyrannical rule of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad. It depicts the torture, imprisonment, and desperate attempts to flee from such horrific control. I chose this book for Madalynn because she said she enjoyed reading diaries and journals. This book is told like a diary or history but in the form of a graphic novel. I think she would be interested and compassionate towards the victims and stories of those affected by this crisis. I wanted to connect a book that showed her what was going on in the world beyond fairytales. I think the pictures help tell a story that her heart will go out to. I also wanted to introduce her to another genre, graphic novels.

Multi-cultural book: The Parker Inheritance by Varian Johnson
Johnson, V. (2018). Parker Inheritance. New York, NY: Arthur Levine Books.

The Parker Inheritance is a mystery that has went on for decades. Candice finds a letter that was left by her grandmother for her to solve. This story unveils the history left behind in a small town and how that history will be tied to its future. I chose this book for Madalynn because of her interest in mysteries. I think she will enjoy making the connections between the characters. I think she will identify with the time frame and what it was like for people in that generation. This mystery that leads to a treasure and clearing the name of Candice’s grandmother will be one she can’t put down.

Free-Choice book: Auggie & Me: Three Wonder Stories
Palacio, R. J. (2015). Auggie & me. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, an imprint of Random House Childrens Books.

Auggie & Me is the side story that adds to the incredible story of Auggie Pullman; a boy with deformities. It discusses how one boy’s life is affected by this and the mark he leaves on the people in his life. This book tells three more viewpoints of those closely in his path. I chose this book because of Madalynn’s love for the movie, Wonder. She told me she had also read the book and wished she would have read the book first. I think she will enjoy exploring the other characters connected to Auggie’s life. This will be a fun book to view three new viewpoints. Madalynn will love to connect and learn about more aspects of his life, from the bully to his new best friend.

message 24: by Julie (last edited Apr 17, 2019 12:15PM) (new)

Julie | 1 comments Caden, is a very closed mouth, one word answer, kind of young man. This was probably the longest and most pleasant discussion Caden and I have ever had. The interest inventory told me that my student Caden, is simply direct. He liked sports. He plays sports, He pretends to play sports, and he likes real stories about real kids. Not a lot of fantasy and dragons rambling around in his head. He has a reader in his home but, not someone who talks to him about books or shares them with him. From what I know about him, he would probably like a story with more meat on it’s bones, he is tired of happy little stories. I am not sure but have a feeling from his actions in school that his home is not a happy place. So I am going to aim at the high side of intermediate books. Find of course some books about sports but branch out to edges of just a character who plays football.
First, I chose Crossover, by Kwambe Alexander. It is a popular title with many boys his age so he may have seen others reading it, and would also be able to talk to them about it. It is a 2015 Newbery Medal winner and a Coretta Scott King Honor Award winner, and a multicultural title. I told Caden it was a little different (“weird,” is the word I actually used). As it is told in a hip hop prose; that will branch him out into poetry. Twins with a basketball player father and a mother who is the Assistant Principal create a strong family relationship with good points about the importance of education. There is love interest, basketball action, and real life situations mashed together.
Second I recall an older title Driver’s Ed, by Caroline Cooney, age ranged at 12 and up. As I said Caden is a bit of a roustabout, this book came into my head as I was thinking of real people in real situations. Also there are some serious real life lessons about pain, guilt and the mistakes we make. Three teens steal a stop sign and a young woman ends up dying in an automobile accident because the sign is missing. She leaves behind a family and the teenagers have to work through the guilt and pain. I warn Caden there is some romantic stuff in the beginning but you can wade through that to get to the meat of the story. It is also a notable book Booklist & Publisher’s Weekly starred review book and an ALA best book for young adults title. A great talking point would be thinking before you act. I know this young man has made a few rash decisions, so this fool hearty group of teens may give him a glimpse of a quick decision to avoid. Another possible talking point, many of the students in Wayne School System get a School Driver’s Permit at age 14. Which means they have usually been driving their father’s $250,000.00 combine before age 12. Often I think of having that much responsibility and then coming to school where you cannot even leave the room without asking. It must be maddening.
I mention that I think a better book of hers is Code Orange, so he picked up the book next to Driver’s Ed, because it was orange. In actuality it was just covered with orange flames, Flash Fire, by Caroline Cooney. But the cover interested him. Two scared looking kids running down a road surrounded by fire. I told him the premise, which is of course the two kids alone without their mother when the fire comes and they have to help each other to get out. I am sure this happens to him - being left alone. I have seen him be so kind and patient with special needs students, and younger siblings but not not others. I wonder if he is at home alone with siblings for long over the summer. If I get him reading perhaps he will read to them and share this with them and it may give them another activity. So this is Caden’s self pick.
And the last pick is a non-fiction title: The Ultimate Guide to Pro Football Teams, by Shane Frederick. This is a quick read but filled with loads of information, infographics and, of course, sports! This can give Caden a base with football history and the great players and teams. Obviously it will give him the leg up in the stats conversations and perhaps he will gain some new knowledge. I would ask him if he would consider recommending any of these books to others. If he was excited about being picked for a reading inventory, perhaps he would like to be a reading promotor! We can also talk about what he has learned from these books and who his favorite teams are, which of course could lead to more books.
In conclusion, doing this reading inventory with Caden was just a great experience. An experience I hope to repeat with other students. I was looking at this inventory as a burdensome task, but it creates talking points and a connection with people, a common ground to engage with students. It creates another layer of possibilities for book suggestions and opens up a better understanding of how a student ticks and what drives them, so you know what to expand upon. We have this great responsibility to get that book, that one book - that will change a child’s mind about reading - into their hands. Getting to know our students through reading inventories like this is a really fantastic way to get tuned in to who they are and guide them to what they can become through literature.

Book Citations

Alexander, K. (2014). The Crossover. Boston, Massachusetts: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Cooney, C. (1994). Driver’s Ed. New York, New York: Delacorte Press.

Cooney, C. (1995). Flash Fire. New York, New York: Scholastic.

Frederick, S. (2011). The Ultimate Guide to Pro Football Teams. Mankato, Minnesota: Capstone Press.

message 25: by Charlette (new)

Charlette H (mschar2019gmailcom) | 1 comments INTRODUCTION
Of the three kinds of readers presented by Donalyn Miller’s The Book Whisper, Aedan is an underground reader. I say this because Adean owns 58 books and likes to read for 2 hours each day, usually at bedtime. The kinds of books he reads are: history, comics, sports, war stories and novels. He has an interest in historical fiction and satire style comedy. Zoolander and Will Ferrell confirm this view. I think Aedan may like in graphic novels, and a dynamic . The problem is Aedan did not indicate which sports he likes. That being the case, I will try to find books that touch and focus on all or some of the qualities listed. Here is my list:

Gratz, A.(2017). Refugee. New York : Scholastic Press.Fiction. Audience: tweens and up. Golden Sower Nominee, Novels, 2019-2020. Here is an amazing tale that weaves together the lives of three refugees: a Jewish boy, a Cuban girl and a boy from Syria, all looking for refuge. Though their lives are mysteriously intertwined, they are each separated by distance, circumstance, and centuries.. I selected this book for Aedan because it combines the themes of history and war. The main characters are also relatable because they are near his age group. How would you describe someone who is a refugee? What predictions can you make, regarding what joins the lives of these three characters?

Sachar, L. (1998). Holes.New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Fiction. Multicultural. Grades -5th-6th. Newbery Award. Here is a fun and exciting read about two boys, stinky shoes, and unexpected adventures. Why do you think the title is called Holes? Do you think there is a connection between the title and events in the book? Why?

Marcus Emerson. (2012). Diary of a 6th grade ninja. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. Fiction.4th grade and up. Free choice #1. This is a fun story about a boy caught in a web of espionage. He must protect the lives of others, while hunting the minion trying to capture him. Why would a ninja keep a diary? Would you want to be a ninja while in school? Why or why not?

David, W. (2013). Mr. wuffles!.New York : Clarion Books, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Fiction. K - 4th. A 2014 Caldecott Honor Book. Free choice #2. A humorous science fiction book with amazing illustrations and no words. Who or what do you think Mr. Wuffles is? Why would the author only use a name for the title.

Ryan.B. & Orion. (2019). Sevens heaven.UK:Orion Publishing Co. - Nonfiction. Winner of the Telegraph Sports Book of the Year Award and Heineken Rugby Book of the Year Award 2019. An inspiring autobiography of Ben Ryan, the coach of the Olympic gold-medal winning Fijian rugby team. What does the term seven heavens represent? Why call the title 7th heaven?

This is an interview process and discovery. Aedan communicated who he is and what he likes to a limited degree. This is providing basic information for me to remember. He also shares how he spends his time, what he values and what he does not. This information enables me to format a set of reading material based on specific criteria associated with Aedan’s preferences. This applies Bloom’s Taxonomy by remembering his interest, summarizing his overall entertainment focus, applying a classification of his interest with types of genre, (historical fiction, comedy, war themes, sports themes and science fiction). Then I analyzed and evaluated various titles to match the assignment criteria and the criteria of Aedan’s interest. I had decided that a graphic novel would be a good choice because it would tie into the comics he read, it would be easier to find topics pertaining to war that would be age appropriate, and the length would be shorter with exciting artwork. I was excited about Aedans interest because they agree with mine. I love historical fiction, science fiction, and falling asleep to a good book! Having interest in these areas made it easier to select books. I hope he likes my selections for him.