Victorians! discussion

Uncle Silas
This topic is about Uncle Silas
Archived Group Reads 2018 > Uncle Silas: Week 4: Chapters 41-53

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renee M | 1995 comments Mod
We are closing in on the end of the novel with even more mysteries presented before the climax.

Uncle Silas: Chapters 41-53
(Last of Volume 2 and beginning of Volume 3)

1) Whom do we meet and what do we learn during the stay at Elverston? Does this interlude expose what Maud’s life might be under different circumstances?
2) What do the girls discover when they return? How does this alter the impression of Silas?
3) What is the outcome of Beauty’s illness and why? Does this section allow for more depth to this character?

Volume 3
4) Personal Favorite Title: A Chapter-Full of Lovers :)
Do you have one that stands out for you?
5) What occurs as a result of Captain Oakley’s letter and visit?
What are your opinions of Oakley? Is he worthy of Maud’s affection?
6) What happens with Dr. Bryerly? How does this enlighten our perception of the standing relationship between Ruthyn and Bryerly?
7) What apparition does Maud think she sees? Does this give us more information or simply create more mystery?
8) Where is Milly sent & what plans does Silas describe for Maud? Do we believe him? What power does he seem to have over Maud’s understanding and why?
9) Who warns Maud & what warnings is she given?
10) What comes of Dudley’s proposal and what finally puts an end to his pursuit?
11) What is Dudley’s next proposal and what does Maud do in response?
12) What thoughts & speculations do you have after this section?

message 2: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Not as late as I thought I might be. This was an intriguing section with many events to keep us guessing. Happy Reading!!

message 3: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes! I love wordplay. :D

Rosemarie | 217 comments I have read 50 chapters so far and Maud is isolated with Uncle Silas. Dudley is supposedly in Europe because Maud refused him, but I think he is lurking close by.
She can't write Lady K and Lord C anymore, because of comments that were made about Silas. And Dr. Bryerly has been sent away too.
And Maud puts up with all this and tells Silas almost everything he wants to know.
She is one of the most insipid "heroines" I have encountered in a book. Where is this girl's spunk?
Milly and Maud spent a couple of hours crying because Milly was being sent to school in France.
And to top it off, Maud was sure she saw the sinister Madame R. at the house.

I like the book so far, but I don't like Maud's passive and submissive attitude, so far.

message 5: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is a great point, Rosemarie! I’ve been struggling with the character of Maud from the beginning. She has been completely malleable to Silas, doubting herself at every turn.

What I do like about the way LeFanu has written her is that there was groundwork laid at the beginning so that she is authentic even in her naïveté. She was raised by a dictatorial, emotionally distant father, for whose attention she was desperate. She was fascinated by her mysterious, handsome uncle... about whom she was told very little. To say she was sheltered is an understatement of enormity. And, finally, she is completely cut off from outside intervention. While I could wish she had more spunk (buckets more), I can also be impressed by the degree to which LeFanu did his due diligence to make her believable.

Rosemarie | 217 comments Maud certainly did have a sheltered upbringing, with an unusual father.

I have now finished this section, and I really wish Maud had taken up Dudley's bold offer. He must know his father better than Maud, and she seems to be getting a glimmer that Silas is not what he appears to be.

Silas is truly a creepy character. Maud said that she almost felt like she was being hypnotized by him at times.

Nina Clare | 135 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have read 50 chapters so far and Maud is isolated with Uncle Silas. Dudley is supposedly in Europe because Maud refused him, but I think he is lurking close by.
She can't write Lady K and Lord C ..."

I feel the same, I like Maud, and feel sorry for her, but I could shake her sometimes for being so passive.

Nina Clare | 135 comments I feel like there's lots of loose ends to be tied up in the final section.
Is Maud going to be sent to France only to find herself in the clutches of Madame R? Was Dudley showing kindness - in his way - in offering to take Maud to her cousin for her safety? (for a princely price, of course!) or is he still bent on some wicked scheme of his own? Will Lord Ilbury be Maud's hero? And is Uncle Silas an evil villain, or a misunderstood man? Can't wait to find out! I'm hoping for a few twists in the tale as well...