Play Book Tag discussion

Etta and Otto and Russell and James
Archive: Other Books > Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hopper 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1620 comments Etta is 83 and has decided to walk east from Saskatchewan, Canada to the ocean. She leaves her husband Otto behind and their neighbor Russell who has loved Etta for a long time. James is where the magical realism part comes into the book. The book switches between mainly Etta and Otto in the present and their past with Otto growing up with a large family, Etta becoming his school teacher and Otto eventually going to war. I felt like I got to know Otto the best out of all of the characters. The ending was a bit odd and lowered my rating some. Parts of the book reminded me of the Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, though I actually liked this book better than that one.

Booknblues | 6893 comments I really enjoyed this book. It hit the spot for me.

Joni | 625 comments I also really enjoyed this book

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments I was more conflicted. I wanted to like it ... I usually enjoy magical realism, and character-driven novels. But at the end I was left feeling as if I'd missed something.