The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1, Harry Bosch Universe, #1) The Black Echo discussion

Michael Connelly vis a vis James Patterson

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Johnson I've read the Harry Bosch series and the Alex Cross series. These series share such remarkable plot similarities. I'm no expert, so I don't know if these similarities are just conventions in the crime/detective genre or if one author was piggy backing on the other.

Some of the similarities I saw are
1. Trouble getting women because of the danger inherent in their job.
2. Woman moves far away and takes child.
3. Switching from local police to FBI.
4. Agent in charge of investigation turns out to be the killer.

The first Harry Bosch book, The Black Echo, came out in 1992. The first Alex Cross novel, Along Came a Spider, came out a year later in 1993.

message 2: by ROBERT (last edited Jun 12, 2018 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ROBERT I have read that Patterson was an editor and publishing exec. He allegedly just uses formulas from his vast reviewing experience to cobble together books. I have heard that he even has a team to put them together.

I am curious if others have heard this.

I am biased about Connolly because I have him on a pedestal with Bosch and also Haller books.

PS. I found this 2014 article on Patterson. https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/book...

message 3: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Johnson Well, that’s a well deserved bias. I adore Bosch and Haller is nose to nose with him.

I haven’t heard anything about Patterson, but based on the books of his that I’ve read, I did get the impression that it was the work of several different writers. He’s found of putting a twist at the end, but he brings the twist out of nowhere without any foreshadowing to make the reader accept it as the logical result of the events of the story.

More than 70 novels in 40 years. Well they were bestsellers, so somebody thought he was doing something right.

Scott Parker Bosch is certainly my man but I have always made myself available to others including Haller et al. End of day I don't care much to dig in depth about conspiracies. Mr. Childs has created a character I cannot get enough of but as per all would prefer quality over proliferation.
Cheers all

message 5: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Johnson Scott wrote: "Bosch is certainly my man but I have always made myself available to others including Haller et al. End of day I don't care much to dig in depth about conspiracies. Mr. Childs has created a charact..."

What is Mr. Child's first name, and the character you like?

Bill1971 He probably meant Jack Reacher the character by Lee Child.

Or perhaps character Aloysius Pendergast by Douglas Preston‎ and ‎Lincoln Child

I prefer Pendergast by far but have enjoyed a few Jack Reacher books.