The Cosy Bookish Corner discussion

General Chat > Anyone bilingual?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Tanya (tanya23510) | 432 comments Mod
Is anybody here also Bilingual? Do you read a good mixture of books in both languages or do you mainly read in just one language? I mostly read in English but I really need to start reading more Italian books as I am seriously starting to lose my fluency with it, and it's my mother tongue!!

message 2: by Isabel (new)

Isabel | 28 comments I am Spanish! So although like you Tanya I read mostly in English since I was 17 years old I do love to read now and then in Spanish specially historical novels as ken Follet ones or a couple of Spanish speakers authors as Julia Navarro and Maria Dueñas.

I have basic Italian like I can maintain basic Italian conversations but I haven't try reading a book

message 3: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Isabel wrote: "I am Spanish! So although like you Tanya I read mostly in English since I was 17 years old I do love to read now and then in Spanish specially historical novels as ken Follet ones or a couple of Sp..."

Yes I also find that Spanish and Italian are also very similar as they both come from Latin. I also think Spanish sounds so much nicer than italian lol.

message 4: by Isabel (new)

Isabel | 28 comments Tanya wrote: "Isabel wrote: "I am Spanish! So although like you Tanya I read mostly in English since I was 17 years old I do love to read now and then in Spanish specially historical novels as ken Follet ones or..."

Really? I love how Italian sounds!! Is so unique

message 5: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

I just think it sounds more musical haha

message 6: by Lou (new)

Lou | 25 comments I’m not fully bilingual, but I’m working on it. English is obviously my first language as I am British (living in New Zealand) but I am also fairly fluent in Korean, and can read Japanese. I tend to read books in both Korean and Japanese, while referencing the translated versions to help with fluency.

A Paperbound Life (eesweij) I am bilingual German/English and because I live in Switzerland I am also able to speak some French and Italian. Currently I am learning Finnish.

I read both English and German, depending on what the original language of the book is.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy  (amy24) | 4 comments I am fluent in three languages. I can speak, read and write English, Punjabi and Hindi. I do most of my reading in English. I have read some short stories in Hindi and Punjabi. It is my this year's goal to read Punjabi novels.

message 9: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Amy wrote: "I am fluent in three languages. I can speak, read and write English, Punjabi and Hindi. I do most of my reading in English. I have read some short stories in Hindi and Punjabi. It is my this year's..."
Oh wow, three languages! Have you already got some Punjabi novels lined up?

message 10: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

So, here's a question I have been asked often: what language do you think in? And what about in your dreams?

I remember I've neer really thoght about it until somebody asked me. I have to say it really depends on what language I am speaking in at the time, so if I have been speaking to my friend in Italian for a while, then I will start thinking in Italian. As for dreams, I rarely remember them, but they are mostly in english, unless I've spent all day speaking mostly italian.

message 11: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) I am bilingual. I speak English, Bengali, Hindi, Arabic, BSL, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and German.

message 12: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Rumell wrote: "I am bilingual. I speak English, Bengali, Hindi, Arabic, BSL, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and German."

Wow, impressive! How did you come to speak so many languages? Are you fully fluent?

message 13: by Creative Orange (last edited Dec 21, 2019 02:17PM) (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) Well I did learn them. But I am not fully fluent in French, Portuguese, Italian or German.

message 14: by Krishna (new)

Krishna | 7 comments I'm bilingual too.... I know bengali, hindi,english,french,Japanese (only hiragana) and a bit of tamil ( only spoken)

message 15: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Krishna wrote: "I'm bilingual too.... I know bengali, hindi,english,french,Japanese (only hiragana) and a bit of tamil ( only spoken)" Fantastic! how did you learn?

message 16: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

I’m curious to know how you keep up with all your languages, i.e. do you read books, watch movies, etc?

I keep meaning to read more Italian books or watch more TV Series, but I just never seem to get round to it, or ever find anything that takes my fancy!

Were you brought up bi/multi-lingual or is it something you learned later in life? Do you find that it’s a big part of who you are? I know I do!

message 17: by Krishna (new)

Krishna | 7 comments Tanya wrote: "I’m curious to know how you keep up with all your languages, i.e. do you read books, watch movies, etc?

I keep meaning to read more Italian books or watch more TV Series, but I just never seem to ..."

i don't know about hindi english and bengali....they are pretty natural to me being used in everyday lives....

Japanese i learnt online and since i watch anime it is in practice :-)

message 18: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie Murawski | 11 comments not Bilingual but I want to learn different languages so bad