Leaders' Book Club discussion

[Archive] Principles, Ray Dalio > Part 1: Where I'm Coming From

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 69 comments Mod
Principles: Life and Work has won the polls for June 2018. Please use this thread to discuss Part 1: Where I'm Coming From

message 2: by Ying Ying (new)

How are your progressing in your reading? Any surprises you had on the first part of the book?

message 3: by Corey (new)

Corey | 16 comments Hey Ying. Sorry for the late reply!

I have almost finished 'Where I'm Coming From' (and plan to only read life principles, and not work principles, at this time), and my main takes have been:
1. That it's very useful to see the business your in (or field of study even) as being part of a highly interconnected system, in which many elements affect, and are affected by, each other. This can lead to innovative ideas and therefore allow you to provide more value to others.

2. That learning from experience is very successfully done by playing and being creative, and having the courage to risk making mistakes by trying new things (something I do a lot less than I should - I crave security and certainty too much. Any strategies on how to improve this would be great, if you have them)

3. Transparency, humility, honesty, mindfulness and self-knowledge are key virtues for working well in teams. (and in improving oneself)

4. Ray Dalio is one admirable individual, for sure.

What were your take-aways Ying? :)

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Finally able to get started on this book.

message 5: by Ying Ying (last edited Jul 01, 2018 08:41AM) (new)

Corey wrote: "Hey Ying. Sorry for the late reply!

I have almost finished 'Where I'm Coming From' (and plan to only read life principles, and not work principles, at this time), and my main takes have been:
1. T..."

Thank you Corey! I would say the major take-away is that it helps to reflect upon our own lives and have our own set of principles.

message 6: by Ying Ying (new)

Sue wrote: "Finally able to get started on this book."

Great, Sue! What are your impressions so far?