Play Book Tag discussion

The Ghost Fields
This topic is about The Ghost Fields
May 2018: Family Drama > The Ghost Fields by Elly Griffiths - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited May 26, 2018 10:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

annapi | 5155 comments When a construction crew unearths a WWII plane with a corpse in it, Dr. Ruth Galloway is called to examine the body. She determines that the body was buried elsewhere and only recently placed in the plane. The body is identified via DNA as that of Fred Blackstock, of a prominent local family who was thought to have been shot down in the war and lost at sea. When the story breaks, the documentary film crew from the previous book decides to do a documentary on the "ghost fields", Norfolk's abandoned air force bases, one of which is on Blackstock land and now converted into a pig farm. Then a body is discovered half eaten by pigs, and it turns out to be related to the Blackstocks. As DCI Nelson's investigation proceeds, it becomes clear that there is something fishy about the Blackstock family.

Another solid mystery in this series, although I didn't like how the answer was handed to Ruth on a plate at the end after all the investigation's leads petered out. It was tolerable but kinda cheating in my opinion. Still, it did not detract very much from the book's entertainment value or my enjoyment of it. I also loved the developments of the minor characters.

I've resisted posting books from this series under this month's tag because I didn't feel there was sufficient family drama except as secondary storylines. But this time the family drama was a major focus of the book, so I felt it deserved to go under the tag.

message 2: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Sounds like a very fitting book for this tag.