What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Good fiction series, can be YA, science fiction, paranormal, or fantasy

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abbie (last edited May 26, 2018 08:47PM) (new)

Abbie  Fan  | 12 comments Need a series for the summer and I've already re-read all of my go-to re-read series so...

message 2: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 373 comments Older SF books, but I enjoyed them:
Book 1: Sundiver

Starbridge

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jun 04, 2018 05:51PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6965 comments Mod
Witch World something like 30 or 35 books in this series. But before you panic, it's broken down into a number of "mini" series where the only connection is the planetary setting. They travel from the first ones that are set in Estcarp, which is ruled by the Witches Tribunal to Escore, which is to the West (yeah, yeah, we all know the homage to Tolkein here, although I'm not sure how much real homage there was, since this was written only 8 years after the publication of LoTR and I'm not sure when that made it over to the U.S.) then there are the Dales of High Hallack (on a different continent), the Sea Lords, the Falconer's and many, many many others. Mixed fantasy/sci fi series. My recommendation for reading order is:

Witch World
Web of the Witch World
Three Against the Witch World
Warlock of the Witch World
Sorceress of the Witch World

After that, you can pick and choose what you want to read. But those 5 books set up the rest of the series, and are one of the sub-series that I mentioned.

Witch World is one of those places where people who "just disappear" find themselves. It's a parallel world, one that is apparently, at least according to the various books in the series, a very popular place for people from all the various parallel worlds to go to.

message 5: by Alli (new)

Alli (allirichyb) The Name of the Wind'
This series is so much better than any fantasy novel you've ever read ever. I used to think that Harry Potter was the best, but I was so wrong.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate | 5 comments Try Megan Whalen Turner. Her Thief series is excellent YA fantasy fic.

message 7: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 13 comments I recommend anything by Tamora Pierce, her books are YA and mostly fantasy

message 8: by Kimberlyn (new)

Kimberlyn (abookmazedhead) | 35 comments Alli wrote: "The Name of the Wind'
This series is so much better than any fantasy novel you've ever read ever. I used to think that Harry Potter was the best, but I was so wrong."

This is a very good series! However there are currently only two books out and it has been years since the second one was released. So that might be something to consider before diving into this series.

message 9: by Kimberlyn (new)

Kimberlyn (abookmazedhead) | 35 comments Also I want to recommend the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. The series is a part of a bigger fantasy universe called the Cosmere and it is amazing!

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Lalalalala...hey wrote: "Need a series for the summer and I've already re-read all of my go-to re-read series so..."

Could you give us some idea of what you've already read, and examples of series or books that you liked (and maybe examples of some you didn't like)? That will help people know what to suggest.

message 11: by Tadgh (last edited May 28, 2018 04:40PM) (new)

Tadgh | 28 comments For fantasy, I've been enjoying Robin Hobb's books! Most of them are trilogies making up a larger series; her website seems to list them mostly in order. (Although I believe The Rain Wild Chronicles are after Liveship Traders Trilogy, not The Tawny Man Triology. I'm unsure, and not up-to-date as my partner's the one who got me into her books.)

The Reading Raccoon (readingraccoon) | 145 comments Maybe something by Kate Elliott Kate Elliott
Like the Court of Fives series Court of Fives
or Cold Mage series. Cold Magic
Also:
The Sin Eater’s Daughter
Red Rising
Daughter of the Blood

message 13: by Abbie (new)

Abbie  Fan  | 12 comments Michele wrote: "Lalalalala...hey wrote: "Need a series for the summer and I've already re-read all of my go-to re-read series so..."

Could you give us some idea of what you've already read, and examples of series..."

I've read most of the basic popular series, HP, PJO, Hunger Games, etc. I like series that create a new world, one of my all-time favorite series is the Hollows, by Kim Harrison.

message 14: by Abbie (new)

Abbie  Fan  | 12 comments Thank you all for replying! It seems like I've got a big summer of reading ahead of me!

message 16: by Michele (last edited May 29, 2018 07:13PM) (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Here are a few series you might like, with the first novel in each:

Ally Condie's Matched series - first is Matched
Sharon Shinn's Samaria series - Archangel
The Pern books - Dragonflight
Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar trilogy The Summer Tree
Garth Nix's Abhorsen series - Sabriel
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Lord Foul's Bane
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn - The Dragonbone Chair
Darkangel trilogy - The Darkangel
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St Germain books - they can be read in any order but my favorites are Blood Games, Hôtel Transylvania, and Out of the House of Life
Riddle of Stars - The Riddle-Master of Hed
Children of the Star - This Star Shall Abide

message 17: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Mah-Soeung (aquamarine_25) | 4 comments If your looking for a book/s I have plenty to share:
-ACOTAR or ToG- By Sarah J Maas (probably everyone's read her books but still)
-Caraval- By Stephanie Garber
-The Graces- By Laure Eve
-The Lunar Chronicles- By Marissa Meyer
-Passenger- By Alexandra Bracken
-A very Unusual Pursuit- By Catherine Jinks
-Children of Eden- By Joey Graceffa
-Ruby Red (The Precious Jewel trilogy)- By Kerstin Gier
-The Selection Series- By Kiera Cass
-The Red Queen- By Victoria Aveyard
-The City of Bones- By Cassandra Claire

If you're Reading this I strongly suggest you read these books and Authors, I love them all in full glory. I love to suggest books to people, and I do it on Goodreads because all my friends hate to read or Try and give up so please try these and tell me if you do or have already tried some of these! If you do or have add me as a friend!!! - I'd love to talk to you!

message 18: by C. (new)

message 20: by ellis (last edited Jun 01, 2018 01:49PM) (new)

ellis (nautica) | 13 comments october daye series by seanan mcguire! the 13th book comes out october.

it's urban fantasy focusing on fae lore.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/1716...

message 21: by Abbie (new)

Abbie  Fan  | 12 comments Caitlin wrote: "If your looking for a book/s I have plenty to share:
-ACOTAR or ToG- By Sarah J Maas (probably everyone's read her books but still)
-Caraval- By Stephanie Garber
-The Graces- By Laure Eve
-The Luna..."

I haven't read all of them but The Red Queen series is one of my faves!!

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Caitlin wrote: "If your looking for a book/s I have plenty to share:
-ACOTAR or ToG- By Sarah J Maas (probably everyone's read her books but still)"

Hm, I can't find this title. Is it some sort of acronym?

message 23: by Preethi (new)

Preethi | 48 comments Lux series by Jennifer Lynn

message 24: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Michele wrote: "Caitlin wrote: "If your looking for a book/s I have plenty to share:

Hm, I can't find this title. Is it some sort of acronym?"

Throne of Glass or A Court of Thorns and Roses series.

message 25: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Mah-Soeung (aquamarine_25) | 4 comments Michele wrote: "Caitlin wrote: "If your looking for a book/s I have plenty to share:

Hm, I can't find this title. Is it some sort of..."

Yeah- ACOTAR stands for A Court of Thorns and Roses
And ToG stands for Throne of Glass

message 26: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Aha. Thanks :)

message 27: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 26 comments Ranger’s apprentice by John Flanagan is a young adult fantasy series, and it is amazing! Really long, but probably my favourite series ever. Some of my other favourite YA series was are Legend by Marie Lu and I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

message 28: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 26 comments Or Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

message 29: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 26 comments Or the CHAOS Series by Jon S Lewis (first book is called Invasion)

message 30: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1206 comments The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Boat of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente (and sequels) The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

message 31: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Pamela wrote: "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Boat of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente (and sequels)"

Ooh yes, that's a good one! I love the Wyverary :)

message 32: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (manduck) | 112 comments The Dresden files book 1 Storm Front

Jane Yellowrock series book 1 Skinwalker

And a couple of YA ones too....

Shatter Me

The Spook's Apprentice

Wicked Lovely