You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > InvestiGators Two-gather

Comments Showing 1-50 of 132 (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 07:33AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments description

Team 2:
Almeta
Saar
Rusalka
Carol
Heather
Lori Z
Beth
Amanda (Mandy)

message 2: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited May 26, 2018 07:55PM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Hi Teamies! Thought I'd set up the thread to get us started.

Placeholder name in the meantime, so if anyone has some ideas let us all know!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Great! I've been doing some searching and I've found books for dog, book, bicycle, and balloons. I'm planning on 2 books.

This is my first toppler, and I already don't know what a 'placeholder' is.

message 4: by Lori Z (last edited May 26, 2018 11:36PM) (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments Hello Teammates!
Thanks Rusalka for starting our thread! Love the alligator, he'd make a great mascot, especially if we stay with Team 2 Investigates, which I kind of like. The only thing I could come up with is "On the hunt".

Welcome to your first toppler, Heather, they're so much fun. The placeholder that Rusalka was referring to, is the temporary title of this thread till we come up with a team name. Feel free to throw out any suggestions for our team name that you can come up with.

I haven't decided yet on how many books I'll be reading it depends on how many short ones I can find.

Anyway, looking forward to toppling with everyone! Off to do more gophering!

message 5: by Almeta (last edited May 27, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments I like the theme!

How about InvestiGators Two-gather?

message 6: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments Oh that's perfect Almeta and we can keep the alligator as our mascot! Love it!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments I love the investigator, Rusalka.

Saar The Book owl | 1926 comments Next covers I can do: cat, dragon, red coat (need to double check), eye, bird and flower. If necesary, I can look for more :)

Love the picture, Rusalka!

@Almeta: I like that name!

message 9: by Almeta (last edited Jun 05, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments I've gophered for quite a few, but not all, on the list. Will be choosing audio for most of the Toppler. A couple of paper and ink books would help me with other challenges that I have on-the-go, so I might tackle them as well.

Alligatorshoe Nobody's Fool audio
shoe Practical Magic audio
bird The Sanctuary Sparrow audio
bird Euphoria audio
sun Half of a Yellow Sun audio
Alligatormoon Hallowe'en Party audio 2 Jun
moon Black Hills audio
cucpcake Dietland audio
apple Eve & Adam audio
Alligatorbook The Lost Book of Salem audio
sea shell Junonia audio
sea shell The Graces audio
Alligatoreye The Manual of Detection audio 2 Jun
flower Wintersong audio
flower Absent In The Spring audio
necklace Wolf Bride audio
Alligatorcrown Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome audio
bicycle Aunt Dimity and the Summer King audio
Alligatorbutterfly Pachinko audio
dog Mr. Chartwell audio
wing Angelfall audio
mason jar So Much Pretty audio
suitcase To the Grave audio

shoes Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo shoe Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman bird The Sanctuary Sparrow (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael Book 7) by Ellis Peters bird Euphoria by Lily King sun Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie moon Hallowe'en Party (Hercule Poirot #39) by Agatha Christie moon Black Hills by Dan Simmons
cucpcake Dietland by Sarai Walker apple Eve & Adam (Eve & Adam, #1) by Michael Grant book The Lost Book of Salem by Katherine Howe sea shell Junonia by Kevin Henkes sea shell The Graces (The Graces, #1) by Laure Eve eye The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry flower Wintersong (Wintersong, #1) by S. Jae-Jones flower Absent In The Spring by Mary Westmacott necklace Wolf Bride (Lust in the Tudor Court, #1) by Elizabeth Moss crown of laurel Imperium A Novel of Ancient Rome (Cicero, #1) by Robert Harris bicycle Aunt Dimity and the Summer King (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #20) by Nancy Atherton butterfly Pachinko by Min Jin Lee dog Mr. Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt wing Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee mason jar So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman suitcase To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2) by Steve Robinson

bird Still Life with Woodpecker paper
Alligatortree The Baron in the Trees paper
cupcake 150 Pounds: A Novel of Waists and Measures paper
book The Camel Bookmobile paper
egg Baba Yaga Laid an Egg paper
gun Modesty Blaise paper
sword Finnikin of the Rock paper
Alligatorhand Josie and Jack paper
ring Fish & Chips paper
cat The Wild Road paper
umbrella A Cat, a Hat, and a Piece of String paper
Alligatorred coat You Might as Well Die paper

bird Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins tree The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino cupcake 150 Pounds A Novel of Waists and Measures by Kate Rockland book The Camel Bookmobile by Masha Hamilton egg Baba Yaga Laid an Egg by Dubravka Ugrešić gun Modesty Blaise (Modesty Blaise, #1) by Peter O'Donnell
sword Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta hand Josie and Jack by Kelly Braffet life ring Fish & Chips (Cut & Run, #3) by Abigail Roux cat The Wild Road (The Wild Road, #1) by Gabriel King umbrella A Cat, a Hat, and a Piece of String by Joanne Harris red coat You Might as Well Die (Algonquin Round Table #2) by J.J. Murphy

The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry The Manual of Detection to start out.
The Private EYE and I are having a bit of Irish Cream!

message 10: by Saar The Book owl (last edited May 30, 2018 04:37AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1926 comments I couldn't find it, but can we use books from our Zodiac Challenge?

- Bird: The Penguin Lessons
The Penguin Lessons by Tom Michell

- Cat: The Dalai Lama's Cat
The Dalai Lama's Cat (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #1) by David Michie

- Dragon: Empire of Ivory
Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4) by Naomi Novik

- Red coat: (Will look at home if I have the right cover)

- Eye: What Milo Saw
What Milo Saw by Virginia Macgregor

- Flower: Looking for Alaska
Looking for Alaska by John Green

All the books are paper editions.

message 11: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Almeta wrote: "I like the theme!

How about InvestiGators Two-gether?"

Love it! Keep it open for another day or so, just in case someone has a great idea in their sleep

message 12: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Saar wrote: "I couldn't find it, but can we use books from our Zodiac Challenge?"

Yes you can. You can use Yearly Challenges, Monthly Challenges, and Monthly Themed Reads for Topplers.

message 13: by Heather (last edited May 29, 2018 09:20AM) (new)

Heather Wow,Almeta! Too bad we don't get points for gathering! Great list!

message 14: by Carol (last edited May 31, 2018 05:56PM) (new)

message 15: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Almeta wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "......Love it! Keep it open for another day or so, just in case someone has a great idea in their sleep
"

Maybe wait until everyone "checks in"?"

Yes. I got a bit enthusiastic after a very large gin cocktail last night... sorry about that.

message 16: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments I can probably do three as well, depending on the choices. My book covers are not being very helpful however. I have so far:

wing - The Vegetarian The Vegetarian by Han Kang
dragon - The Last Dragonslayer The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
apple - Jasper Jones Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey
flower - The Buddha of Suburbia The Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi
crown - Red Queen Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather Rusalka wrote: "

Team 2:
Almeta
Saar
Rusalka
Carol
Heather
Lori Z"

Rusalka, Do we need to get our books ok'd before Saturday? Do we also need to let you know what we are going to read?

Newbie questions :-)

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather Just in case, this is my planned reads.
Murder in the Boughts (Hank Mossberg, Private Ogre #1) by Jamie Sedgwick , Murder in the Boughts (tree).

and

Spare Change (Wyattsville, #1) by Bette Lee Crosby , Spare Change (bicycle).

If all goes well, there might be one more. Ready, set …...

message 19: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Oh I am not the boss. I just started the thread so we had somewhere to chat :D

We don't need our books pre-approved, particularly if they are obvious like yours. We check in with Kristie if we aren't sure, or bounce of our teamies. So you are good to go!!

We tend to link our options to each other in case we can inspire each other. Didn't realise it was your first Toppler. Hope you enjoy!!

message 20: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments But actually, this is a good point. Who wants to be scorekeeper this time round?

message 21: by Lori Z (last edited Jun 01, 2018 04:13PM) (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments Okay, so after much gophering and stops at 3 libraries today I am all set for Saturday!

I'm probably good for 3 books but will try for more, depending how the week goes. Here's my choices:

bird: Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4) by Donna Andrews

sword: Fatal February by Barbara Levenson

glasses: Postcards from the Edge (Suzanne Vale, #1) by Carrie Fisher

dragonfly: Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman

cat: A Street Cat Named Bob And How He Saved My Life by James Bowen

hat: Mimosas, Mischief, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #6) by Sara Rosett

table: Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery, #2) by Riley Adams

tree: The Witch Tree Symbol (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #33) by Carolyn Keene

Oh and since we don't need a spreadsheet for this toppler I could be scorekeeper, unless someone else wants to do it. :)

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather If anyone is still looking --- I really enjoyed The Dead and the Gone, The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2) by Susan Beth Pfeffer . It has a great picture of a moon on it. If you like dystopia, it is a good quick read. Even though it shows as a #2 in a series, it easily could be a stand alone.

message 23: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments That's a great cover, Heather.

message 24: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments How we all going? All ready to rumble? I think everyone has checked in so looks like we are all present and correct!

Lori, that would be awesome if you could keep score for us. I am not sure we even really need a reporting thread, but what do you guys think?

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments I would think a reporting thread —separate from our usual convivial exchanges about drinks, the weather and whatever — might make life easier for Lori. But whatever you all think best. ..

message 26: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Fair point, Carol. It does make it easier

message 27: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments I would prefer a reporting thread it does make it easier for scorekeeping. I'll set it up when I get on my computer. Since everyone has checked in should we make our team name official?

message 28: by Beth (last edited May 31, 2018 10:22PM) (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1969 comments Hi, all! I'm late to the party and haven't yet gophered. I am probably good for 2-3 books. My daughter is off from school as of tomorrow, so I probably won't be doing my typical 3 hours of audiobook per day. I'll check in again tomorrow with options.

message 29: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments Beth wrote: "Hi, all! I'm late to the party and haven't yet gophered. I am probably good for 2-3 books. My daughter is off from school as of tomorrow, so I probably won't be doing my typical 3 hours of audioboo..."

Beth! Good to see you again. What a surprise.

message 30: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments Lori Z wrote: "I would prefer a reporting thread it does make it easier for scorekeeping. I'll set it up when I get on my computer. Since everyone has checked in should we make our team name official?"

Shall we use one post per reported item found? or use one message and keep editing as more things are scavenged?

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Almeta wrote: "Shall we use one post per reported item found? or use one message and keep editing as more things are scavenged? "

Weighing in here (I know I'm not on your team, or any team for that matter), it's better for the moderators when new posts are created rather than editing (like with the yearly challenge) as we know which posts we need to read through and check. It makes moderating easier.

message 32: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2018 03:44AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Almeta wrote: "Shall we use one post per reported item found? or use one message and keep editing as more things are scavenged? "

New post. Good to be consistent with other reporting needs in the group as it's something we try and stress (good to see Sarah and I on message ;) ).

message 33: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Beth wrote: "Hi, all! I'm late to the party and haven't yet gophered. I am probably good for 2-3 books. My daughter is off from school as of tomorrow, so I probably won't be doing my typical 3 hours of audioboo..."

Welcome Beth!

message 34: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments Almeta wrote: "....
Shall we use one post per reported item found? or use one message and keep editing as more things are scavenged? .."

Just wanted Lori Z to make the call.☺

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather I'm ready!! Books are on my kindle and my husband has to work on Sunday, so as soon as church is over I can read, read, read! Sounds like a perfect day to me!

message 36: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments I do prefer a post for each book read, like for the yearly challenge. It does make it easier to track.
As far as the team name I like InvestiGators Two-gather.

message 37: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments Welcome Beth!
Looks like you're all set, Heather!

message 38: by Lori Z (last edited Jun 01, 2018 04:57PM) (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments Okay everyone, I posted our reporting thread.
Team 2 reporting InvestiGators Two-gather "Tails"
As you can see I went ahead and updated our team name for the reporting thread, hope that's okay. Rusalka will have to update this one.
Anyway, we're getting close, I can't wait! Get plenty of rest cause its going to be a crazy week!

message 39: by Beth (last edited Jun 01, 2018 06:15PM) (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1969 comments Ok, So I don't have a lot, but I could do:

Hand: The Tree of Hands The Tree of Hands by Ruth Rendell
Gun: Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5) by Margery Allingham Sweet Danger
Tree: The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro The Buried Giant
Eye: The Robber Bride The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

Probably can't do them all, but can do at least a couple probably.

message 40: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Lori Z wrote: "As you can see I went ahead and updated our team name for the reporting thread, hope that's okay. Rusalka will have to update this one."

Updated!

message 41: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Heather wrote: "I'm ready!! Books are on my kindle and my husband has to work on Sunday, so as soon as church is over I can read, read, read! Sounds like a perfect day to me!"

Sounds great! We have a lunch with friends, and then have to go through Lexx's sister's stuff as she is downsizing from her massive 6 bedroom, 2 storey, 3 storeroom house to a 3 bedroom townhouse. Urgh. But I might recover some of my kitchen goods that have disappeared into that house after many family dinners and Christmases.

But I have my eyes on the couch, fireplace, and book once that is all done.

message 42: by Almeta (last edited Jun 02, 2018 12:37AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments Beth wrote: "Ok, So I don't have a lot, but I could do:
..."

Wow! No ambiguity with your great cover choices!

Hope they are great reads for you as well.

message 43: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments Rusalka wrote: "...But I have my eyes on the couch, fireplace, and book once that is all done. ..."

lol! Sounds toooo comfortable, Sounds like nap-time to me.☺

message 44: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Nope! No napping, only reading!

message 45: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments WELCOME AMANDA!

message 46: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Yay Mandy!

message 47: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments We all ready to go?
I'm about to crash but looking forward to the crazy reading week!

Go little Gators!

message 48: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments I'm all set! Starting with Postcards from the edge. Just waiting for the clock to move!

message 49: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments And there it is...start time!
Happy Toppling Everyone!

message 50: by Debra (last edited Jun 02, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Feeling S L E E P Y? Need a cat nap?

« previous 1 3