J.D. Robb discussion

Eternity in Death (In Death, #25.5)
This topic is about Eternity in Death
In Death Buddy Reads 2016 - 2021 > Eternity In Death - June 2018

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10537 comments Mod
Our In Death buddy read continues in June with Eternity in Death, a novella that first appeared in the Dead of Night Anthology. Everyone is invited to join us!

Synopsis/Blurb:
When club-hopping bad girl Tiara Kent is found dead in her plush Manhattan apartment, the killing has all the earmarks of a vampire attack. The ever-practical Lieutenant Eve Dallas has to deal with superstitious cops carrying garlic and stakes, as well as the ever-hysterical press. None of the wealthy young victim's friends seem to know much about the Dark Prince she has been secretly seeing. The chase to stop him before he kills again will lead Eve and her team into areas of the city that not even the most intrepid cop wants to visit, and into the very heart of darkness.

Timeline: April, 2060

Character List:
Eve Dallas
Roarke
David Baxter
Ryan Feeney
Mavis Freestone
Nadine Furst
Ian McNab
Charlotte Mira
Delia Peabody
Lawrence Summerset
Troy Trueheart
Jack Whitney
Dickie Berenski
Crack
Galahad
Morris
Cher Reo
Minor & Peripheral Characters:
(view spoiler)

We have a short but good one in June! Open discussion will begin on the 8th. :)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 736 comments I've ordered the anthology from the library. Hope this book comes in a timely fashion....

Open discussions start tomorrow, 8th! Is anyone ready? Do you believe in vampires??? :)

Feel free to openly discuss Eternity in Death!

Share your thoughts on this book. Did you enjoy the paranormal elements?

A quote I love!

Peabody: "I'm just saying it looks like your classic vampire bite"

Eve: "We'll put out an APB on Dracula. Meantime, let's find out if she was-just possibly-seeing someone with a heartbeat."

Share your favorites!

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 526 comments I will get my favorite quotes in a bit. There were a few. When she tells Summerset that he is what Dracula should look like was one. I really like in the end when its the Cross that Roarke gave her and the stake that brought the killer down not guns or other weapons but good old fashioned Vampire killing weapons.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1386 comments I love Peabody in this one her freeage ready come turn. I like it when Eve toll Peabody to repeat "Vampire are not ready" and Peabody reaction.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 779 comments I liked this one but find I miss the longer books so that we have more of Eve and Peabody and their hilarious banter. And, of course, I need more Roarke!

Susan wrote: "I will get my favorite quotes in a bit. There were a few. When she tells Summerset that he is what Dracula should look like was one. I really like in the end when its the Cross that Roarke gave her..."

I loved this, Susan! Both the Summerset & Roarke's cross part.

Karen ♐ wrote: "I liked this one but find I miss the longer books so that we have more of Eve and Peabody and their hilarious banter. And, of course, I need more Roarke!"

I wish this had been a longer story. I think the potential was there. But I still enjoyed it! :)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 994 comments I'm not usually a fan of novellas (short on plot and character development), but I enjoyed this one a lot.

For a short story, the villain was presented very well and he actually made my skin crawl.

As to the paranormal elements, I actually didn't feel there were any (unlike Haunted in Death). Vadim isn't really a vampire, he just believes that he is one.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 736 comments I read this in one evening. It has, so far, been my least favorite.

I'm with Lauren that Vadim "isn't really a vampire, he just believes that he is one."

Lauren wrote: "I'm not usually a fan of novellas (short on plot and character development), but I enjoyed this one a lot.

For a short story, the villain was presented very well and he actually made my skin craw..."

That's true. He isn't, but really seems to believe himself one.

I love the way Robb uses a play on light vs. dark, evil vs. good, in this. And it's good to see, even in a novella, the continued growth of trust between Roarke & Eve. Both know what it is to walk alone...and now they now how good it feels to let the light & love shine in and banish the dark.

"Light killed shadows, and it created them. But what loved the dark would always scuttle back from the light. Her badge had given her the light, Eve knew. Then Roarke had simply, irreversibly, blasted that light straight through her.
Nothing could pull her back again, unless she allowed it. Not the nightmares, not the memories, not whatever smear the man who’d made her had left in her blood.
What she did now, for the job, for two women, for herself, was only another way to cast the light."

I especially love the setting in this one. The dark tunnels, the killer's lair - all spooky and atmospheric. Great job setting the scene!

Also have to mention Eve momentarily being thrown enough to miss something because she sees her father in Dorian - in his dark, soulless eyes & it shakes her a bit...so she misses him switching up his blood samples.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 994 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I especially love the setting in this one. The dark tunnels, the killer's lair - all spooky and atmospheric. Great job setting the scene!"

Me too! The creepy atmosphere really added to my enjoyment of the story.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2558 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I especially love the setting in this one. The dark tunnels, the killer's lair - all spooky and atmospheric. Great job setting the scene!

Also have to mention Eve momentarily being thrown enough t..."

Me too. The setting is dark and scary. I love it.

Phrynne | 323 comments Just read it last night and enjoyed it totally. On my first reading of the series I left out all the novellas so this time round they are all new to me:)
I enjoyed the pretend vampires and the way that Eve is so practical about them. And then Peabody is an immediate believer which is so real for her character. Roarke with his Irish heritage had a tiny bit of belief too.
Loved it all:)