Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Golden Man Booker Prize Shortlist

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments The Golden shortlist has been released. What do you think? I’ve only read two. I found Wolf Hall incredibly boring but I can appreciate the amount of research that went it to it. Lincoln in the Bardo is definitely a worthy addition. I have always wanted to read The English Patient, and I’ll be honest that I’ve not heard of the other two.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments I’ve read The English Patient, In a Free State, and Lincoln in the Bardo. I can try Wolf Hall again someday. Maybe if I listen to it...
Moon Tiger looks good.
I think In a Free State would be my choice at this time. Naipaul’s writing is lyrical and clean.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Reading Wolf Hall almost killed me of boredom. Loved Lincoln in the Bardo. I own the others but haven’t read them

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m going to try and read the three I haven’t before the announcement. Tracy, you and I are normally in sync so I’m looking forward to In a Free State.

message 6: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments Moon Tiger is beautiful.

I’m reading Wolf Hall at the moment and am enjoying it a lot, though it’s slightly hard work to process it through the fog of cold germs...

I haven’t read the Naipaul or Lincoln yet (though my mother owns the latter so I can nick it).

message 7: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments Susie - would you like me to post you my copy of Moon Tiger?

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments That would be lovely Kate!

message 9: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments Will do :)

message 10: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments Aside from the quality of the selected books, I really don't get how a book that is out there for little over a year can be said to have stood the test of time...

message 11: by Sushicat (last edited May 26, 2018 10:00PM) (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments While looking this up I learned that the Man Booker International Prize has been announced this week:
Flights by Olga Tokarczuk

The other books on the shortlist were:
Vernon Subutex, 1 by Virginie Despendentes
The White Book by Han Kang
The World Goes On by László Krasznahorkai
Like a Fading Shadow by Antonio Muñoz Molina
Frankenstein in Baghdad by Ahmed Saadawi

message 12: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I agree Sushicat, I did like Lincoln in the Bardo, but it hasn’t been out long enough to qualify for standing the test of time.

I have not read Moon Tiger or In a Free State. I liked both Lincoln and The English Patient. I didn’t care for Wolf Hall — and I’m a huge fan of historical fiction.

message 13: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I really liked both Wolf Hall and the sequel Bring Up the Bodies, rated both 4 stars.

Lincoln in the Bardo was a five star read for me.

message 14: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2299 comments I'm currently reading/listening to Lincoln in the Bardo and I read Wolf Hall a couple of years ago and remember liking it. Those are the only two from the list that I have read.

message 15: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6743 comments Thanks for sharing the news, Susie!

I have only read Lincoln in the Bardo and Wolf HallZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Oh oh sorry. I dozed off at the mere thought of Wolf Hall.

At any rate, the English Patient is on my TBR. The other two are new to me, but Tracy's comments make me interested in In a Free State.

message 16: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments To be honest I haven't even heard of any of these books except Lincoln in the Bardo (which I heard about earlier today). Was there a reason Wolf Hall was so boring?

message 17: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7466 comments Susie wrote: "http://themanbookerprize.com/vote"

Not the list I'd have picked.

message 18: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments Sushicat wrote: "While looking this up I learned that the Man Booker International Prize has been announced this week:

The other books on the shortlist were:
[book:Vernon ..."

I have all of these on my wishlist. Someday!
I’ve heard good things about all of them.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9348 comments I love HF with a passion, and I barely got through Wolf Hall.. others thought it was the bees knees, but I just got sleepy. Would be looking for the interesting parts to pop in again.

message 20: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7466 comments Amy wrote: "I love HF with a passion, and I barely got through Wolf Hall.. others thought it was the bees knees, but I just got sleepy. Would be looking for the interesting parts to pop in again."

I tried reading Wolf Hall and gave up.

message 21: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments Tracy wrote: "Sushicat wrote: "While looking this up I learned that the Man Booker International Prize has been announced this week:

The other books on the shortlist we..."

My library has Flight. I’ll start with that one.

message 22: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’d love to hear what would have made everyone’s shortlist. I think Lincoln would be on mine, as well as The God of Small Things, and The Narrow Road to the Deep North. I’ve not read a lot of the winners. I must remedy that!

message 23: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments If I was to choose just five, I think I'd choose:
The God of Small Things
Midnight's Children
The Sense of an Ending
The Bone People
and either The Ghost Road or True History of the Kelly Gang.
I tried not to choose those that were already chosen.
I know the one book that would NEVER be on my best of shortlist: Vernon God Little. It was horrible.

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Anita wrote: "Thanks for sharing the news, Susie!

I have only read Lincoln in the Bardo and Wolf HallZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Oh oh sorry. I dozed off at the mere thought of Wolf Hall.

At any rate, the English ..."

Haha funny.

message 25: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9058 comments Anita wrote: "Wolf HallZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Oh oh sorry. I dozed off at the mere thought of Wolf Hall. ..."

LOL! That's kind of my reaction! For some reason, I had thought there were more here who liked it! Maybe not...

message 26: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I chose Vernon God Little for my book club and everyone hated me for a while. ;-)

Tracey, I’ll give the ones you have chosen a go as we often agree.

message 27: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments Susie wrote: "I chose Vernon God Little for my book club and everyone hated me for a while. ;-)

Tracey, I’ll give the ones you have chosen a go as we often agree."

I think you’ll like them- especially Bone People, since it’s set Down Under.

message 28: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6396 comments Anita .. you reaction to W.H. is my reaction to The English Patient ... just saying.

message 29: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments I’m half way through Wolf Hall now and still loving it. Are we talking about the same book, lol? Maybe there’s another novel masquerading as Wolf Hall hanging around somewhere to lure unsuspecting readers...

message 30: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments KateNZ wrote: "I’m half way through Wolf Hall now and still loving it. Are we talking about the same book, lol? Maybe there’s another novel masquerading as Wolf Hall hanging around somewhere to lure unsuspecting ..."

My Mum LOVED it (this was before dementia!), so you are not alone!

message 31: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6743 comments Susie wrote: "I chose Vernon God Little for my book club and everyone hated me for a while. ;-)

Tracey, I’ll give the ones you have chosen a go as we often agree."

LOL, I also did not like Vernon God Little. At all.

message 32: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6743 comments KateNZ wrote: "I’m half way through Wolf Hall now and still loving it. Are we talking about the same book, lol? Maybe there’s another novel masquerading as Wolf Hall hanging around somewhere to lure unsuspecting ..."

LOL - - okay, you crack me up even though I disagree with you on this book.

message 33: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6743 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Anita .. you reaction to W.H. is my reaction to The English Patient ... just saying."

Shoot.

I feel that's one that I have to read at some point. Ugh.

message 34: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6743 comments I've read 11 of the winners, and I'm not sure there are five I'd nominate, but the ones that I would are:

Lincoln in the Bardo
The Narrow Road to the Deep North
The White Tiger
The God of Small Things

message 35: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve not read The White Tiger Anita. I must.

message 36: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments I haven’t read it either - I own it though, fortunately

message 37: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments I just tried Wolf Hall again, on audio this time. From the library, thank goodness! That’s the last attempt. Too boring!

message 38: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6743 comments Tracy wrote: "I just tried Wolf Hall again, on audio this time. From the library, thank goodness! That’s the last attempt. Too boring!"

Lol . . .just chuckling because I made myself read it, and I can say it didn't ever get better for me.

message 39: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments Okay... I made it through Moon Tiger. Great premise, dull writing. And Cat Stevens’ Moonshadow running in my head. But that’s the last of them. There’s no way I’m forcing myself to read Wolf Hall (life’s too short, and though I love a nap, I’d rather read something good).
My pick is Naipaul, and the vote has been cast.
(Ohhhh, I’m being followed by a moontiger. Moontiger, moontiger...)

message 40: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6743 comments Tracy wrote: "Okay... I made it through Moon Tiger. Great premise, dull writing. And Cat Stevens’ Moonshadow running in my head. But that’s the last of them. There’s no way I’m forcing myself to read Wolf Hall (..."

Awesome - - thank you for the report. Adding Naipaul to the TBR and calling it a day ;).

message 41: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments Susie, I have just put Moon Tiger in the post for you - I remember really enjoying it, but it was ages ago. I don’t know if it’s stood the test of time. But obviously the Booker panel think so ...

message 42: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Oh thank you Kate! I must must must send the one I promised you! x

message 43: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments No rush, darl! I’m away for nearly a month overseas so it would only sit on the kitchen counter waiting for me xx

message 44: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9348 comments Lifetime someday to do list: Get over to that corner of the world and visit Susie and Kate! I’m making it a goal for this decade.

message 45: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments Do it, Amy! Would be lovely to see you!

message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9348 comments Honestly, I think I shall! Now that my bar mitzvah weekend is over, and I can turn my thoughts to my 50th birthday, I do think I will tell my husband that I decided today, that sometime in this next decade, that we are making a trip to see Australia New Zealand. I think I’d have to wait until my rising and third grader graduated high school. I can’t imagine how it would otherwise work. He would have to drive in order for us to take such a lengthy trip. Start planning it now, he turned eight a few days ago, see you this summer of 2028 as I am in my 60th year....

message 47: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’d love to meet in real life!

message 48: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments I think I’m coming to Melbourne for a conference on 1 November, Susie ... a plan?

message 49: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Definitely!!

message 50: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Do you know how long you’ll be here for? I can see dinner plans in our future!

« previous 1