The Friendly Book Cave 2020 discussion

Others > Describing a book

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonah (new)

Jonah Elliot I just had a thought, and maybe I can open a conversation about it.

I'm an author... three fantasy books already published. And a lot of times, people ask me: "So, what's Codex of Light about?" And -- I trip over my tongue.

"Oh, it's about, er, this guy who's not a fighter who gets enslaved by this half-dragon, half man adolescent who's culture is like all... you know, "I fight for honor!" kind of thing, and he's the sort of peaceful, well, not exactly a pacifist, but he read books and um, you know, never learned how to uh... say uh... did I mention-"

Same thing when I try to explain a book that's more mainstream. Even if I think it's accessible.... "Oh, in "Dream Chest" this girl was bullied and escapes into a magical world which molds itself to her wishes... I still feel a bit -- awkward.

How do you describe a book coherently?

And if you're a reader, what kind of flashpoints do you look for in a description to decide if you want the book or not? Heck, do you even make that decision by reading book descriptions, or is it something else?

message 2: by Simi (new)

Simi Sunny | 30 comments E.P. wrote: "I just had a thought, and maybe I can open a conversation about it.

I'm an author... three fantasy books already published. And a lot of times, people ask me: "So, what's Codex of Light about?" A..."

I know how you feel. Every time I try to explain what the book is about, I make it short and sweet while trying to not give out spoilers. And I always use the same descriptions for facebook and goodreads groups and when I have to explain it to people in real life.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Andrews | 3 comments Hi,

I am Bill Andrews and I am a new author. I am giving away free self help ebooks and if it is not too much to ask for a review. I would be grateful.

Thank you so much