The Sword and Laser discussion

Local Group Meetups > Kanto Japan

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clyde (last edited Jul 30, 2014 06:44AM) (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 409 comments Anyone else in the Kato region of Japan? I'm in Yokohama. Perhaps we could hoist a few beers and talk books.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroltchung) | 15 comments Hi! I'm in Tokyo.

message 3: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 409 comments Hi Carol. Nice to meet you (virtually).
You are the first to reply to this thread in over a year! Surely there must be more than two of us S&L goodreaders in this area. ?? Perhaps we can get the ball rolling?

I notice that you are reading Uprooted, which I just finished. Though I am generally more of a laser reader, I quite enjoyed it.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroltchung) | 15 comments Surly! Perhaps they just need a bit of coaxing. :) I'm about halfway through. I'll need to wait until I finish before I can listen to the S&L and Vaginal Fantasy vlodcasts.

message 5: by Geir (new)

Geir (makmende) Hi folks, as it happens I'll be visiting Tokyo for most of September. It would have to be a one-off deal for me, but I'd be honored to hoist any kind of beverage with fellow S&Lers.

I skipped Uprooted, but am planning to start on A Canticle for Leibowitz pretty soon.

message 6: by Clyde (last edited Sep 01, 2015 07:42PM) (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 409 comments Geir wrote: "Hi folks, as it happens I'll be visiting Tokyo for most of September. It would have to be a one-off deal for me, but I'd be honored to hoist any kind of beverage with fellow S&Lers.

I skipped Upr..."

Hi Geir,

I'm up for it. I am booked on the 9th and 17th through 22nd, but am free all other days in September.

Carol?

-C

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroltchung) | 15 comments Hi!

Sure, weekdays won't work but I'm free most weekends. :)

message 8: by Geir (new)

Geir (makmende) So how about the weekend 12th-13th? I should be rid of the jet lag by then.

message 9: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 409 comments How about we make it the 12th then?
I am flexible on location. That said, somewhere on the southern side of Tokyo (say Ebisu or Shibuya) would be convenient for me as I live in Yokohama.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroltchung) | 15 comments Sat the 12th sounds good! Ebisu has lots of yummy food & booze options. I can list up a couple recommendations. Any dietary restrictions or preferences?

message 11: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 409 comments No restrictions on my part. (Aging omnivore) Pick a place you like.

message 12: by Geir (new)

Geir (makmende) I want to eat all of the things, if that counts as a preference. Ebisu is convenient for me too, it's only one hop away on the ever convenient Yamanote.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroltchung) | 15 comments How about Ippudo ramen? It's pretty casual and they've also got yummy gyoza.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroltchung) | 15 comments How about Ippudo ramen? It's pretty casual and they've also got yummy gyoza.

message 15: by Clyde (last edited Sep 07, 2015 10:17AM) (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 409 comments Is Ippudo suitable for a meet-up? Every ramen shop I have been in is designed for quick turnover rather than hanging out and talking.

message 16: by Geir (new)

Geir (makmende) Are there other suggestions? If not, we could just meet at the Ippudo and move afterwards if it proves unsuitable. Staying in the same place for the whole evening would be preferable though.

message 17: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 409 comments Carol and Geir,

I am very sorry, but I cannot make it after all. I have taken ill. It isn't too serious (I hope), but the doc has put me on bed rest and meds.
Just damn. ... But, at my age (69) I have to take health concerns seriously.

-CW

message 18: by Geir (new)

Geir (makmende) I'm very sorry to hear that, Clyde. Health is the most important asset at any age, so I completely understand. Now, finding another time would be difficult, as I'm leaving on the 25th and that leaves us fresh out of weekends, but let us know when you're back on your feet and we'll weigh our options. Odaijini!

Carol, I still have gyoza pencilled in for tomorrow, but I can make other plans if you want to reschedule. Let me know.

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroltchung) | 15 comments Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Work this week kicked my butt and I'm not feeling so well either. I'll have to pass as well.

Hope you're enjoying your trip!

message 20: by Carol (new)

Sorry for the late reply. Work this week kicked my butt and I'm not feeling so well either. I'll have to pass as well.

message 21: by Carol (new)

message 22: by Geir (new)

Geir (makmende) That's unfortunate, but I completely understand. My trip is great, and it seems I won't have any trouble filling the time :P I hope you are soon ready to kick work's butt back.

message 23: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 409 comments The Tokyo lifestyle can be stressful.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Ohayou! Sry, just found this thread. anyone interested in a meet up or recommend gatherings?

message 25: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 409 comments Hi. I'm in Kyushu at the moment. Be back in Kanto next week. I'm up for a meet up toward the end of the month.
Carol?