What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. 70s romance novel, possibly by major author, with young couple in car accident, separated, and coming together again at the end

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth (yogibethc) | 17 comments I used to read my mom's books when I was younger, so I am guessing that this is a 70s romance novel. I always thought it was called The Promise, but I haven't been able to locate the correct novel by that name.

The novel opens with a young couple in love. The talk about marriage while spending a day at the park or the beach. On the way home, they are in a bad car accident. The woman suffers major injuries and will recover massive plastic surgery, but she has no family and no money. The man's mother comes to visit her: she will pay for the medical treatment IF the woman agrees never to see her son again. Apparently, she was not fond of the match--I believe that the man was rich and she came from nothing.

Anyway, the woman agrees, and the mother tells her son that his girlfriend died. The book proceeds with them living their own lives. I think that the woman may go on to become an artist. Her plastic surgery leaves her unrecognizable from who she was. BUT, eventually the couple meets up again, and of course they figure it out. I think that the man sees something in her eyes...there is also a line that one of them says about "you promised me..." which is why I thought that was the title.

Any thoughts?

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (yogibethc) | 17 comments OMG, I just looked it up again, and I found it! It IS called The Promise, by Danielle Steele. How did I miss it before?

back to top