You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Team 3 - Sup3r Sp3ctacular Scav3ng3rs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 301 (301 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Debra (last edited May 31, 2018 04:14PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Team 3:
Debra
Esther
Laura
Annette
Vicki
Lisa
Jaxnsmom
Claire

Hey team! It's that time again! Let's think up a spectacular name for our fantastic scavenging gophering gals!

I'm trying out Sup3r Sp3ctacular Scav3ng3rs to try to inspire you to come up with something better.

Countdown to the start of the Toppler!!

Link to Scavenger Hunt Chat

Sup3r Sp3ctacular Scav3ng3rs Reporting Thread

Sup3r Sp3ctacular Scav3ng3rs Spr3adsh33t!

message 2: by Debra (last edited May 26, 2018 12:18PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments The item in the list should be the main focus (or close to) of the cover. So, for example, a tree would mean a tree that is the focus of the cover. A mountain covered in trees would not count. Some discretion will be needed, but try to think if the item is meant to stand out or be noticed. **You can only use the cover for one item, which makes sense if the item is the focus of the cover.**

Items to find:
shoe
bird
tree
sun
moon
cupcake
apple
book
sea shell
egg
gun
sword
eye (close up, not a face)
hand
ring
necklace
crown
hat
glasses (for eyes, can be sunglasses)
dog
cat
umbrella
flower
bicycle
table
chair
red coat
ballgown
dragonfly
butterfly
dragon
feather
mask
wing
mason jar
suitcase

message 3: by Debra (last edited May 28, 2018 11:04AM) (new)

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Hey Debra, thanks for setting up the thread!

message 5: by Debra (last edited May 26, 2018 12:32PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Laura wrote: "Hey Debra, thanks for setting up the thread!"

It was bugging me and I couldn't relax and read. I'm starting to get the fever! lol

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Nice title too! :D

How is your gophering going? Some are pretty easy because the object may be the only one, but I'm having trouble deciding on a few books where the object may not be big enough so I put a Q out to Kristie about it.

message 7: by Debra (last edited May 28, 2018 11:04AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments reserved

message 8: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I've got several books, but they aren't all ones I really want to read. Sooooo, I must scavenge some more!

message 9: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1198 comments Hi teammates, I love the thread name too!
I've found some good options so far but I'm having problems finding audiobooks. I'll post my finds soon cause I'm not sure about some of them and might need a ruling.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Hi Vicki! I'm with you, I prefer audiobooks too and I feel like I need rulings on several that I've found.

Like Debra, I'm trying to find books I really want to read. The Immortalists The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin just came in for me at the library and I've been waiting for that forever. I feel like the tree on the front is pretty obvious? But not totally sure. I don't have the audio for it tho, and I like to be able to switch between the audio and book during toppler weeks.

The gophering is a little harder than it seemed it would be at first lol!

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1198 comments Laura, I think its a significant tree on the cover.

I agree gophering is hard as I'm also being harder on myself - It has to be something I really want to read or also work for the zodiak challenge

message 12: by Vicki (last edited Jun 01, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

Vicki | 1198 comments This is what I've found so far

Paper books
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton 302 pages
A Cat, a Hat, and a Piece of String by Joanne Harris 284 pages
The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, #1) by Maurice Druon 340 pages
The Other Side of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon 454 pages
Children of Earth and Sky by Guy Gavriel Kay 571 pages
White Dog Fell from the Sky by Eleanor Morse 368 pages

Audio books Overdrive
Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) by Lian Hearn 1st on hold 08:25:34
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie 1st on hold 04:24:37
Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2) by Naomi Novik 3rd on hold 11:43:45

Audio books RB
Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #2) by Spencer Quinn 09:26:30
Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen 10:53:22
Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, #6) by Craig Johnson 07:36:39
The Lunar Cats by Lynne Truss 06:15:30

message 13: by Esther (last edited May 26, 2018 09:02PM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4619 comments I am checking in. I will gopher tomorrow. ok.. now.

Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, #8) by Alan Bradley - cat
and
Artemis by Andy Weir - moon (currently on hold at the library but I am next in line.

Audiobook :
To The Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey - bird
The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson - book
The Husband by Dean Koontz -ring

message 14: by Lisa (last edited May 27, 2018 09:11AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Hi everyone! Sorry I'm a bit late checking in. I haven't been around much the past couple of days so I haven't done much in the way of gophering yet. I will get onto it tomorrow.

Love the teamname btw!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Nice to see you, Esther and Lisa!

I'm going to try and get a list together of what I'm hoping to be able to read also. I'd like to find a few more that I'm really interested in reading.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "Nice to see you, Esther and Lisa!

I'm going to try and get a list together of what I'm hoping to be able to read also. I'd like to find a few more that I'm really interested in reading."

We are finally on the same team again, Laura 🙂 It's been ages since we were last teammies.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments I know, Lisa, it's very cool! Looking forward to toppling with you again :)))

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "Looking forward to toppling with you again :)))"

Likewise! 😁

message 19: by Laura (last edited May 31, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments I have no idea which of these I'll be reading, but I'll list the ones I'm most excited about ha.

The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday (Isabel Dalhousie, #5) by Alexander McCall Smith The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday 240, on DJ, tablet, have book, cd req

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo Because of Winn-Dixie book and cd req 182p (middle grade/YA I loved before)

A Summons to New Orleans by Barbara Hall A Summons to New Orleansby Barbara Hall ILL req book, no audio, 288p

The Secret of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange The Secret of Nightingale Wood hoopla, CD & book 288p

Here If You Need Me A True Story by Kate Braestrup Here If You Need Me: A True Story (hand) hoopla, book req ILL & local, 224p

What the Robin Knows How Birds Reveal the Secrets of the Natural World by Jon Young What the Robin Knows: How Birds Reveal the Secrets of the Natural World book req, no audio, 241p looks really good

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter on DJ, book & CD req, 274p

Mr. Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt Mr. Chartwell overdrive on DJ, tablet, lib req 242

Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg Home Safe overdrive on tablet, DJ, book req, 260p

The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2) by M.C. Beaton The Vicious Vet - on DJ, hoopla audio, overdrive hold, library request 224p

Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver Small Wonder hoopla, lib req, 288p

Nights in Rodanthe Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks hoopla, lib book req 222p

The Hidden Life of Trees What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World by Peter Wohlleben The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World hoopla, book req, 288p

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus book req, ILL CD req, 224p

Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1) by P.L. Travers Mary Poppins, hoopla, lib book 209p

What the Moon Said by Gayle Rosengren What the Moon Said hoopla, cd & book 207p

Birds of a Lesser Paradise Stories by Megan Mayhew Bergman Birds of a Lesser Paradise: Stories short stories, lib hold, no audio 224

Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones Dogsbody, ILL req, no audio, 272p

Aunt Dimity and the Summer King (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #20) by Nancy Atherton Aunt Dimity and the Summer King - hoopla audio, library request 240p

The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry The Manual of Detection hoopla, have book, 288p

Howards End is on the Landing A Year of Reading from Home by Susan Hill Howards End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home lib req, no audio, 236p

I have some narrowing down to do! Hoping to read 3-4 of these. Most of them are less than 300 pp so that should help.

message 20: by Lisa (last edited May 28, 2018 04:23AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Here are some of my possible reads:

The Death of an Owl The Death of an Owl by Paul Torday (Bird)

Cousins Cousins by Salley Vickers (Tree)

The Silver Branch The Silver Branch  by Rosemary Sutcliff (Sword)

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente (Dragon)

Tin Man Tin Man by Sarah Winman (Bicycle)

Phantom Phantom by Susan Kay (Mask)

Six of Crows Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo (Wing)

Beautiful Disaster Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire (Butterfly)

The Kommandant's Girl The Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff (Red Coat)

I am aiming to read 3-4 of these.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Tin Man looks really good, Lisa. I got myself on holdlist for that one.

Probably won't work for the challenge unless people ahead of me are really fast readers but maybe it'll work out. My friends list loves that book! (I heard about it from Simon of Savidge Reads on YouTube.)

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "Tin Man looks really good, Lisa. I got myself on holdlist for that one.

Probably won't work for the challenge unless people ahead of me are really fast readers but maybe it'll wor..."

I heard about it from Simon too, Laura. Wasn't it one of his favourite books of last year? Another Youtuber I really like, Mercedes from Mercy's Bookish Musings, loved it too.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Yes, I think it was. I tend to want to read everything he recommends lol! Good to know that Mercedes liked it as well. That should be a fast read too, another plus.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "Yes, I think it was. I tend to want to read everything he recommends lol! Good to know that Mercedes liked it as well. That should be a fast read too, another plus."

Lol, I do too! He is not good for my TBR pile! Actually none of the Youtubers I watch are! Lol! I agree, it's less than 200 pages so should be a good choice for the toppler. The Silver Branch which I have lined up for Sword is pretty short too and it's young adult so I'm hoping that will be another quickie.

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments I enjoy middle grade and YA so I try and read those during toppler weeks.

Books and Things (Katie) is really good on YT too if you enjoy classics, especially Victorians and she has really good taste in modern reads as well. I get lots of recs from YT lately. Really helpful.

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "I enjoy middle grade and YA so I try and read those during toppler weeks.

Books and Things (Katie) is really good on YT too if you enjoy classics, especially Victorians and she has really good t..."

I haven't heard of her channel, Laura, so thanks for the recommendation 🙂. I will have to check her out. I think Booktube is great. Although I dread to think how much time I have spent watching book videos on there! Lol.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments The Brits are the best, Lisa! I'll watch anyone British do almost anything and I agree, Booktube has entertained me quite a lot hehe.

So my "toppler-maybe" shelf has got totally out of control and I have to decide which books I really want to read. This will take some time as it stretches to two GR pages now ha.

message 28: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Hey Team. This is going to be fun.... once I decide what to read.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Hi Annette! I am having so much trouble paring down right now. hehe. Should be lots of fun!

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "The Brits are the best, Lisa! I'll watch anyone British do almost anything and I agree, Booktube has entertained me quite a lot hehe.

So my "toppler-maybe" shelf has got totally out of control and..."

Most of the Booktubers I watch are British (hey, I'm a Brit so I'm loyal 😉) but there are some from other countries that I enjoy too.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Annette wrote: "Hey Team. This is going to be fun.... once I decide what to read."

Hi Annette! Good to have you on the team. I'm also having a bit of trouble deciding what to read. I have got 2 which are definites but I haven't decided beyond that yet.

message 32: by Debra (last edited May 28, 2018 11:07AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Hey everyone! Just saying hi. Hope you are all enjoying Memorial Day, if you celebrate it. Or, at least, having a great Monday!

I need 2 folks willing to help keep up our spreadsheet. I'll need you to send me your email address via the GoodReads messaging, so I can give you permissions to edit. It's going to be real easy this time around... just 10 points for each book in a category read. I'm going to add space to type in the names of each book, too.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments I can help with the spreadsheet, and I appreciate all the time you put into it Debra. I was thinking it may not be necessary for this one because I don't think we have to make sure all the objects are found? Maybe I should reread the rules. I was just thinking a reporting thread might be enough?

message 34: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments We don't have to get all the objects, you are right. However, I think it's easier to keep track of who's read what by using a spreadsheet. Just me and my anal, obsessive, trait, I guess!

message 35: by Lisa (last edited May 28, 2018 11:27AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Debra wrote: "Hey everyone! Just saying hi. Hope you are all enjoying Memorial Day, if you celebrate it. Or, at least, having a great Monday!

I need 2 folks willing to help keep up our spreadsheet. I'll need yo..."

Hi Debra! Happy Memorial Day to you. We have a long weekend here in the UK too as today is a Bank Holiday.

Like Laura, I also thought we wouldn't need to do a spreadsheet this time around as there are no bonus points and we don't have to find all the objects. However, if you think we need one, I'm happy to be the second spreadsheet helper. I'm not sure how often I will be around though so I might not be a great deal of help.

message 36: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4619 comments I can help with the sheet.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments I'll be around and I can help with the sheet also. violetsme is my gmail email address.

message 38: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8303 comments *waving* Hello teammates! I'm looking forward to being on the SSS team. I haven't gophered yet (but think I have a book for eye), but will start this afternoon. I don't think I'll be able to read as many books this toppler - I plan on going to my dad's for family birthdays (my brother on the 3rd and my dad's and sister's on the 4th).

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Nice to see you, j'mom and enjoy the birthdays! Gophering for this one is a whole different animal, for me at least. But it's been fun. Just trying to narrow them down is the biggest challenge lol.

message 40: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8303 comments I'm confused by Vicki's list of books - are they for this or for another challenge? None of the categories she's listed are on our scavenger list.

message 41: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I'm confused by Vicki's list of books - are they for this or for another challenge? None of the categories she's listed are on our scavenger list."

Hey Jaxnsmom! Glad to have you join us!

I'm a bit confused by the notes next to books. I think they are from the Zodiac challenge. However, the book covers DO match our scavenger hunt categories. Hmmm....

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Good to have you with us, Jmom!

I think Vicki's books all work for the toppler, it's just she seems to have labelled them up using categories from the Zodiac challenge.

message 43: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1198 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I'm confused by Vicki's list of books - are they for this or for another challenge? None of the categories she's listed are on our scavenger list."

Yeah I'm using the toppler to try to take a big chunck out of the year long but I looked through so many books that I started forgetting why I had them on the list so I had to start making notes for myself.

message 44: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8303 comments Yeah, your notations threw me - I started wondering if I was missing something :)

message 45: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments Hi all, I’m new at topplers. I read a lot, and will do my best, but you might need to help me with doing it right.

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Hi Claire, welcome to the group!

Feel free to ask any questions you like, we were all new once too. We'll be glad to help.

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Also Claire - before the Toppler starts at noon Eastern time on Saturday, we will have a Reporting Thread setup for our team in the same "TBR Topplers" section that this thread is in.

That will be the place to report the titles and covers of the books you read as you finish them. If you see the "add book/author" link in green above the comment box, you can click there to add a link to your book's title or cover.

Feel free to ask if anything doesn't make sense. It is a little confusing at first, but you'll be up and rolling in no time.

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Claire wrote: "Hi all, I’m new at topplers. I read a lot, and will do my best, but you might need to help me with doing it right."

Welcome to the team, Claire.

message 49: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments Thank you all for the welcome! can you add me to the SS,
Is it normal I can only read it?

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Claire, if you mean the spreadsheet, I think Debra wants to limit our ability to edit that to only a couple of people.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7