Play Book Tag discussion

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
This topic is about Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
Archive: Other Books > Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk - Rooney - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jgrace | 3112 comments Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk- K. Rooney
4 stars

Lillian Boxfish is taking a walk, a very long walk, around New York City on New year’s Eve in 1984. I went with her. Lillian is 85. She is alone for the evening, but she has plans. Being alone doesn’t get in in her way. The walk is filled with the people she encounters in the present and her memories of the past. I enjoyed her earliest memories of the City during the Depression, her successful career in advertising, and her thoughts on the publication of her poetry. I loved her present day interactions with people in the city as the evening progressed. The memories of her marriage, the pain of her divorce, and her mental breakdown depressed me. But that was the point.

By the end of Lillian’s evening, I felt like cheering for her as she returned home and opened the door to her apartment.

I had the audiobook read by Xe Sands. She read in a perfect gravely, elderly, lady voice. It became a male voice in a slightly lower register that wasn’t much different. It was appropriate voicing, but it grated unpleasantly on my nerves. I switched to the text copy after the first few chapters.

Ellen | 2331 comments I really enjoyed this one. Lillian is such a great character and I would like to be her when I grow up. It sounds like I'm glad I didn't do the audio.

Booknblues | 6891 comments I enjoyed this one as well. I forget who had the review that encouraged me to read it.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9383 comments I enjoyed this one too. I read it early in the year.