Play Book Tag discussion

The Concubine's Children
This topic is about The Concubine's Children
May 2018: Family Drama > The Concubine's Children / Denise Chong. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9079 comments This is a biography of three generations of a Chinese-Canadian family. Chan Sam came to Canada and left his Chinese wife at home, but soon brought a beautiful younger Chinese woman to Canada as his concubine: May-ying. May-ying gave Chan Sam 3 daughters; before the 3rd one (Hing) came along, the other two had been taken back to China to live with Chan Sam’s Chinese wife. Hing, the daughter who stayed in Canada, was mostly neglected by her drinking, gambling mother. Hing’s daughter, Denise, is the author of the book. The book does focus mostly on May-ying, but it also tells the story of the family in China, as well. I can’t recall the phrase in the book, but something along the lines of a split family.

I thought this was very good. It covers a good portion of the 20th century, so it also includes a bit of history of how Chinese people were treated in Canada, and North America, in general, over that century. The story was interesting, and it did primarily focus on the most interesting person, in my opinion, May-ying. There was also a nice set of photos included – photos of those in both Canada and China.

message 2: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 3112 comments I skimmed your review and thought at first that this was fiction. So much more interesting that it's a biography! Thanks for the review.

message 3: by LibraryCin (last edited May 26, 2018 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LibraryCin | 9079 comments No problem! Yup, this one's real-life! Hope you enjoy it, if you decide to read it!