2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Throne of Glass > Question N

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Any additional thoughts on the story and the characters?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 194 comments I'm looking forward to seeing Celaena grow and see what happens with her, Dorian and Chaol. I'm also interested to see if Arobynn comes into play again. The story was a good one with more secrets for the reader to think about. I wish the author wasn't being so slow to reveal stuff, but she may have a reason.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
I labored through this one, primarily because of Celaena. I’m switching back to the eBook format because she comes across so poorly on audio.

I loved the competition as a great device for the rest of the plot lines and the introduction of Elena promises more mythology for me to sink into. The author did a great job of developing all the other characters.

The deaths of the competitors should have been seen as a pattern long before they did and I didn’t feel the urgency around the situation.

I loathe love triangles and that element is disillusioning me from continuing. I’m definitely in for the long haul but right now I’m dragging my feet.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I'm of two minds. This type of story requires a heroine that is likable and easy to identify with - Celaena is not this heroine right now. I hope that changes in her characterization, if there are any, come sooner rather than later.

In contrast, the story itself is very good and I'm enjoying the mysteries surrounding Celaena's identity and the king's plotting.

It is good that I am more of a plot than a character driven reader.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "It is good that I am more of a plot than a character driven reader...."

I’m a blend of both. Switching from audio will allow me to change the tone of Celaena’s dialogue, which will help me accept her more easily.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Great questions, Lauren! I’m grateful as they’re much better than I could have done. You saw things I’d missed.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "Switching from audio will allow me to change the tone of Celaena’s dialogue, which will help me accept her more easily"

I'm glad its 3rd person so that I can read. I don't think I could take being in Celaena's head for hours on end.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "Great questions, Lauren! I’m grateful as they’re much better than I could have done. You saw things I’d missed."

Thanks Jonetta. I did take quite a few notes so as not to miss anything.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 194 comments I was just wondering if anyone else caught Elena's last words to Celaena: "Blood ties can't be broken". It's been stuck in my head since I finished the book and am really hoping that it's explained soon.

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

I don’t remember that but it’s meaningful.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 194 comments One of the last lines in chapter 54.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments That's a good catch, Melissa.
The one that caught my eye was "Magic calls to magic".
I wonder if the two are connected?

message 13: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 83 comments Melissa wrote: "I was just wondering if anyone else caught Elena's last words to Celaena: "Blood ties can't be broken". It's been stuck in my head since I finished the book and am really hoping that it's explained..."

I have the feeling that this means Elena and Celaena are related, and that this also is why Elena is helping Celaena. But it might also mean something completely different :)

I liked the story and what it is building toward. A lot of questions remain. And I liked most of the characters.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Lieke wrote: "I have the feeling that this means Elena and Celaena are related, and that this also is why Elena is helping Celaena. But it might also mean something completely different :)."

Interesting thought...