Polls for Our Souls discussion

Discussion > What do you like to see in a contemporary novel?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MC (new)

MC Turner | 121 comments I'm writing a contemporary novel right now and I was wondering what you like to see in a contemporary book?
Do you like romance?
Do you like it when the main character is sassy

I'm sorry but I NEED answers!

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 126 comments MC wrote: "I'm writing a contemporary novel right now and I was wondering what you like to see in a contemporary book?
Do you like romance?
Do you like it when the main character is sassy

I'm sorry but I N..."

I love seeing the romance between the characters develop. Not hot and heavy romance...just the cute fluffy scenes! I hope this helps!

I am writing a romance series myself.

message 3: by MC (new)

MC Turner | 121 comments Thanks Angela

message 4: by Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (last edited May 26, 2018 10:22AM) (new)

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) I like a nice slow burn romance like in Eliza and Her Monsters and Geekerella (and Percy Jackson and Blood and Sand which aren't contemporary but good examples). I also like relatable and well developed characters and friendship, and I love sassy main characters, the sassier the better

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited May 26, 2018 11:37AM) (new)

- fandom focus(think fangirl. unconventional++
- pop culture references(gilmore girls,veronica mars, torchwood,off course you need to write about fandoms that YOU care about but you probably have some )
-friendships betweeen friend that DO NOT evolve into relationships. It is fully possible to have friends of the oposite sex!
- travelling
- diversity
- underdogs
- families that are nice. aka families where the parents get along with the kids, no fighting etc

message 6: by Angela (last edited May 26, 2018 03:07PM) (new)

Angela Auten | 126 comments MC wrote: "Oh yeah just putting this out there I'm Christian so I don't believe in the whole gay/lesbian thing
And if your gay or lesbian that's your choice and I'm not hating on you but I'm just saying I do..."

Trust me I'm the same way, but I don't voice my opinions on here because I don't want to be bashed for having an opinion.

message 7: by MC (new)

MC Turner | 121 comments @angela you should never be afraid to say what you think!

message 8: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 324 comments I don’t like romance, and I don’t like real places as a setting, and I could use some dragons or spaceships to spice things up … I just don’t care much for contemporary, hmm.

message 9: by MC (new)

MC Turner | 121 comments @audrey I actually don't like contemporary but I just had this idea and thought it would make for a good book.
P.S.its probably going to be a horrible contemporary book😂

message 10: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 324 comments ... which could end up still being better than what’s already out there.

message 11: by MC (new)

MC Turner | 121 comments @audrey thanks

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenbooks2001) | 35 comments I’m not much of a contemporary reader, but I don’t like weak female characters

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 56 comments I'm not big on contemporary but the ones that I do like usually involve some sort of tragedy (I'm a bit morbid) or someone facing adversity. I'm not big on romance.

message 14: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 243 comments Strong family bonds.

message 15: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 447 comments "I don't believe in the whole gay and lesbian thing" makes it sound like you're equating same-sex relationships with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Do you mean that you don't approve of? Because you should know that disapproval of same-sex relationships isn't in the Christian lexicon. If you don't feel comfortable writing those relationships, then by all means don't; but implying that Christianity is against them is false.