Play Book Tag discussion

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1)
This topic is about The Handmaid's Tale
Archive: Other Books > The Handmaid's Tale 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl Coppens | 383 comments The Handmaids Tale takes place in the future in what was the United States and is now Gilead. The birth rate has fallen to practically nothing and society has become very controlled. Everyone watches what everyone else is doing and differences are not tolerated. I finished this book yesterday and I find myself thinking about it over and over. I found it thought provoking and disturbing given the current political climate. I really liked this book and wonder how I have not read it before now! The ending was a total surprise for me. I wan't sure I liked the ending, but the more I think about it the better I like it, It leaves you with the one thing we all need - hope.

Joy D | 4656 comments I agree with your assessment. I hadn't read this book before this year either. The ending is what bumped it up to 5 stars for me.

Here's a link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Susie | 4488 comments If you haven’t watched the show I highly recommend it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven’t read the book or watched the show. But now I’m very interested. You’ve peaked my interest.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments Great book and very thought provoking!

For anyone reading this ... be SURE to read the "notes" at the end, which are actually a part of the novel.

message 6: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Great book, I gave this 5 stars last year, and have still been thinking about it since. Also highly recommend the Hulu show also!

I think I can safely say this is in my top 10 books of all time. (not sure what the other 9 are, lol).

message 7: by Nicole R (last edited May 29, 2018 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments The show was good but the first half of season one was ROUGH! It seems like that hope was slow in coming!

I do plan to watch season two, I hear it is quite good, but I need to prepare myself for it. lol

I adored the book, but it has been a while since I read it.

Susie | 4488 comments Season 2 is intense!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I have heard that, Susie. And I am currently starting Westworld and I just don’t think I have it in me to watch those both at the same time.

Susie | 4488 comments I feel somewhat removed from Westworld when I watch it, but I feel as though I could be in Gilead.

message 11: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I’m trying to wait till both season 2 of Handmaids Tale and Westworld are complete before watching. I like to be able to binge.

Although all I’ve heard about Westworld is how confusing and head scratching it’s making people. I barely understood the first season, lol.

Back to the book at hand- also read recently they are released a “special edition” audiobook version. Not sure exactly what that means, but sounds cool!

Susie | 4488 comments I’m in!

message 13: by kris (new)

kris | 29 comments The show is one of the best book-to-screen adaptations I've seen (at least as far as season one goes, haven't seen season 2 yet). Even where liberties are taken I feel the spirit of the book is preserved.