The Filipino Group discussion

Challenges > The Travelling Book #2: The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop: A Memoir, A History by Lewis Buzzbee

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ycel (last edited Aug 19, 2018 06:24AM) (new)

Ycel | 662 comments Hullo, fellow book lovers!

Because the Travelling Book #1: 84, Charing Cross Road was a hit, we are passing around a copy of The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop A Memoir A History by Lewis Buzzbee. This book vividly captures the book lover’s inner thoughts as he steps into a bookshop, a place to be “alone among others.” It gives an interesting history of the book, the bookshop and its cousin, the coffeehouse, and includes a stirring account of how James Joyce’s Ulysses got published and how the booksellers were affected by the fatwa issued against Salman Rushdie. A delightful read, it gives the book geek a heads-up on the bookstores to visit in the US and Europe, and posits the likely future of books and brick-and-mortar bookstores with the advent of e-books and Amazon.

Rules:

1. Sign up here if you want to read the book. The official queue below will be updated accordingly.

2. I am not against marginalia but am not keen on doing this for TYLB given the number of times that the book will most likely change hands and the marginalia might become unwieldy. So I suggest using sticky note if a particular passage grabs you and leave the sticky note on the page you are commenting on for the next reader(s) to find. (view spoiler)

3. No book mutilation, no dog-earing (use bookmarks), no plastic covering (use temporary covers) and no scotch tape (the book is printed on acid-free paper so we don’t want any harmful elements to touch it). HANDLE THE BOOK WITH CARE. It is a beautiful book with deckled pages, so l trust that you will leave it intact for the next book nerd to admire its beauty.

4. The book must be passed to the next person in the queue by the following month. If you do not intend to read it yet, please be considerate and pass it to the next person. If this happens, please drop a note here so we can keep track of the book and update the queue.

5. The person who currently has the book is responsible for passing it forward regardless of geographical differences. So if the next person is in Camarines Sur and the current owner is in Manila, the latter is responsible for mailing the book to the former. Once you receive the book in the mail, please drop a note here so we know that you have received it. Because mailing cost beyond our national borders is prohibitive, this book should only travel within the Philippines .

6. When you are done reading the book, sign your name on the inside flap of the cover page (the yellow side) and the date you finished reading it.

7. Let me know if you have any other suggestions and I will update this comment.

Have fun!

Official Queuing List:

1. Ycel
2. Atty. Monique
3. Dr. Ranee
4. Gay
5. Meliza
6. Maria Ella
7. Elaine
8. Anna
9. Lynai
10. Angus
11. Vera
12. Kristel
12. Biena
13. Lennie
14. Ycel <--- current owner
15. Rainne (last active in April 2018, based in Taiwan)
16. Cary
17. Lore
18. Ingrid
19. Patricia (last active in February 2018)
20. Claire (I can't trace in the messages trail how she ended up in the queue) :D
21. Mitch (last active in December 2016)

message 2: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Hi! I'm signing up for this. :)

message 3: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments Yiiii, excited to read this! :)

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments Hi! I want to join too. can i?

message 5: by Ycel (last edited Jul 31, 2014 04:37AM) (new)

Ycel | 662 comments MELIZA/ELAINE:
I have updated the queue^.

message 6: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments P. Ycel, I'll just wait for the F2F. :)

message 7: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments PILA-BALDE: I want to sign-up please? Thanks :)

message 8: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Can I be at number 10 instead? In the previous Traveling Book, I was number 3. So kung okay lang, sa bandang dulo/gitna naman ako this time. :)

message 9: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Gusto ko kasing amuyin ito habang fresh pa! Hahaha.
The other one, could wait, because I want to read the different letters/ quotes writings other people will be adding in to it

message 10: by Ycel (new)

Ycel | 662 comments Eeeeeeek! Me and my fat fingers accidentally deleted the post for the queuing list. Have updated the list on the first message.

message 11: by Ycel (new)

Ycel | 662 comments @attymonique: You moved up the queue! When do you want the book? Send now or wait for F2F?

message 12: by AennA (new)

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Interesting book. Sign me up, please? :)

message 13: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments P. Ycel: Wait for F2F. Won't be able to read it this month na eh. :)

message 14: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Maki-pila-balde din ako! :)

message 15: by Vera (new)

Vera (verabear) | 37 comments Sign me up too, please. thank you! :)

message 16: by Rainne (last edited Aug 12, 2014 03:14AM) (new)

Rainne | 16 comments Me too :) pa-pila-balde din. :)

message 17: by Rainne (new)

Rainne | 16 comments Thanks for signing me up Ycel :)

message 18: by Monique (last edited Aug 18, 2014 10:23PM) (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments UPDATE: As of 8/16, the book is already with me. Excited to read it!

message 19: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (fanarchist) | 489 comments Hi, I'd like to sign up for the book as well. :)

message 20: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments DONE.

Doc Ranee, I can ship it over to you today if you can PM me your address. (view spoiler)

message 21: by Monique (last edited Sep 24, 2014 11:35PM) (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments Shipped today to Doc Ranee:

(view spoiler)

Have fun, Doc! :D

Biena (The Library Mistress) | 447 comments Hello. Please sign me up :)))

message 23: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Done with the book! Lew knows his bookselling history! And one thing's for sure, bookstores will officially be part of my itinerary whenever I travel #bucketlistParis

Teacher Gay, you are up next!

message 24: by Lennie (new)

Lennie Daluz (lenniedaluz) | 8 comments Hello. Please sign me up. :)

message 25: by Cary (new)

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments I'm signing up too!

message 26: by Vera (new)

Vera (verabear) | 37 comments Meron na bang plans for a TFG bookshop?

message 27: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Hi Elaine, can you send me your address so that I could send you the book?

message 28: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Holler, Elaine! Forgive me for being selfish and too excited, but if you cannot grab the wandering book from Meliza, I will definitely ninja-grab it from her, since I am next to you.

I'm giving you a two weeks notice HEEEEE. If Meliza and I shall meet on this month's book discussion... #AlamNa

message 29: by L (new)

L M | 11 comments Can I please be added to the queue please? #eagernewbie

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments hello yes ill dm you my address thanks so much!!

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments oh hi ella do you want to go first ba? its fine with me if you two are going to meet naman no prob with me we can exchange places nlng ill go after you ;) happy new year guys!

message 32: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments OH MAY SHEMAY ELAINE I LOVE YOU NA MWAHMWAHTSUPTSUP NO HOMO. Thanks for lettin me in first. Will holler Meliza for your mailing address so that I can send it over once I am done.

Meliza... ALAM NA. ;)

message 33: by Ycel (new)

Ycel | 662 comments Hullo, book nerds! I have updated the queuing list but I seem to have lost track of Gay's note. Did she pass?

message 34: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Ycel: Gay gave me the book. She's finished already:)

message 35: by Ycel (new)

Ycel | 662 comments Thanks, Meliza!

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments hahaha Ella! sure no worries all for the love of a fellow bookwormie haha ill DM u nlng my address to save meliza the hassle hihi. Enjoy the book my dear!! ;) btw Happy New Year guys!! mwah!

message 37: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Hello all! ;) the book is passed on to me by Meliza this F2F discussion. Hopefully before the February f2f I'll be through with the book.

Elaine, can you please send me a message about your personal mail address? Or better yet, kindly attend the book discussion next month! ;)

message 38: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Signing up for this :)
By the looks of it, next year ko pa makukuha, haha!

message 39: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Elaine, as discussed, this will be delivered over by 1st of March. MARAMING SALAMAT FOR A WEEK EXTENSION! :D

message 40: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Elaine, I shall deliver the book tomorrow morning. :)

message 41: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Dana | 7 comments hi I'm signing up :))

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments hello!

Hi Miss Ella received the book already. ill start this asap please please bear with me po kung bka matagalan but i hope to finish this one soon. mejo 15hrs a day ang work ko kc. so ayun! thank u again! Nauna pa dumatng sakn tong 2nd travelling book kesa sa 1st haha!

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments so again to keep my knowledge about the book. no writing allowed but can used sticky flags right?
i just noticed that only 3 people wrote on the flap of the book, it is still allowed to right names of those who finished right?

hihi just checking.. thank you.

message 44: by Ycel (new)

Ycel | 662 comments Elaine: marginalia is ok :) And yes, please don't forget to sign your name on the flap. The others just forgot :)

message 45: by Ycel (new)

Ycel | 662 comments Claire: I've added you :)

message 46: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments GAH I FORGOT TO SIGN MY NAME ON THE FLAP GAH I AM SO SORRY.

Elaine, can you please add my name up? Pa-attendance naman jan sa travelling book. Thanks mwah.

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments Hi Ella sure what date should i put?

Yoohooo paging Anna! please DM me your address ill be finishing the book this week. hihi!

message 48: by AennA (new)

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Sure, Elaine. Will message you.

message 49: by AennA (new)

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments Sure, Elaine. Will message you.

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments done with the book. sorry for taking it so long. ill be sending it to AnnA probably on wednesday. please bear with me. :(

« previous 1