YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Tyler Johnson Was Here
This topic is about Tyler Johnson Was Here
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Tyler Johnson Was Here by Jay Coles --> Starting 26th May

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 48915 comments Mod
When Marvin Johnson's twin, Tyler, goes to a party, Marvin decides to tag along to keep an eye on his brother. But what starts as harmless fun turns into a shooting, followed by a police raid.

The next day, Tyler has gone missing, and it's up to Marvin to find him. But when Tyler is found dead, a video leaked online tells an even more chilling story: Tyler has been shot and killed by a police officer. Terrified as his mother unravels and mourning a brother who is now a hashtag, Marvin must learn what justice and freedom really mean.

23% (view spoiler)

message 3: by Maddie (last edited May 26, 2018 01:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

30% (view spoiler)

I also like the swearing XD It's realistic.

message 5: by Maddie (last edited May 26, 2018 01:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

36% (view spoiler)

So much violence in that neighbourhood :/

41% (view spoiler)

message 8: by Maddie (last edited May 26, 2018 01:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

45% (view spoiler)

message 9: by Maddie (last edited May 26, 2018 01:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

50% (view spoiler)

This book is making me so bloody angry.

52% (view spoiler)

message 11: by Maddie (last edited May 26, 2018 04:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

56% (view spoiler) This is going to be a very ranty review..

This is such an intense book. It's so real though, different to the normal book that's for sure! So much family dynamic during their grief.

62% (view spoiler)

I honestly think because of the emotions this book gives me I can either give it 5 stars or 1. I really hate this book but love it.

It's really weird how this is now set later this year, 2018. I'd rather it be set 10 years in the future XD It just makes me feel weird.

Finished (view spoiler)

Review: I'm really unsure of what rating to give this book. It made me feel so much hate, and it's that reason that I either want to give it 1 star or 5 stars. I know it's what we were supposed to feel, but I just hated it so much. The racism made me so angry. I did not enjoy this book. The fact that it was all centered around the white people in some way belittling or separating the black people just made me entirely angry. Yes I'm glad I read this book but I don't really want to read anything like it again. This anger isn't good for me.
The protest in this book was very inspiring, but it's so hard to believe that the cops were there to protect them when really they just wanted to 'rid the streets of the thugs' aka kill the black people.
Once again, I really loved the family dynamic, and the friendships. I liked the relationship that blossomed, and I love how Marvin always showed his true colours. He's such an honest character, saying what he thinks and feels. And as soon as he realised he didn't want what other people did for him, he did something about it. None of this denial shit. I really like him as a MC. We need more people like him.

message 18: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Maddison wrote: "36% [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Maddison wrote: "50% O

This ..."

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Maddison wrote: "52% [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Maddison wrote: "Finished [spoilers removed]"