David Ruffle's Sherlock Holmes group discussion

The sister

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Xanxa (new)

Xanxa | 3 comments In the recent TV adaptation (Moffatt and Gatiss on the BBC), in the fourth series, it is revealed that there is a third Holmes sibling, a sister named Eurus. I don't ever recall reading about her in the original Conan Doyle novels and I'm fairly sure that I've read most of them more than once over the years.

Is there an oblique reference to a Holmes sister that I might have missed?

message 2: by David (new)

David Elkin | 1 comments This is a stretch; Enola Holmes is the younger sister and youngest sibling of Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes. She appears in the series The Enola Holmes Mysteries by Nancy Springer and it could be inferred that she appears in the story The Copper Beeches as Violet Hunter, however there is not enough evidence to support the idea.

message 3: by Marie-Louise (new)

Marie-Louise (aewyn) | 2 comments There is a very vague reference to a third Holmes brother in one of the canon stories, but I can’t for the life of me remember which one...

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria | 3 comments There aren't any references to any other siblings in the Canon. The name is taken from the initial notes Doyle made on the planned story of A Study in Scarlet - when Holmes was still supposed to be called Sherrinford (and Watson was supposed to becalled Ormond Sacker). Thankfully, he changed his mind. The notion of a third brother has been around for a while, mostly based in the question as to why landed gentry, as the Holmses, don't live in their country estate. That question is never raised and never answered in the stories, but there have been speculations. Often, the joke that Sherrinford is the third Holmes brother has been made (just as James Moriarty's brother, whose name is also James has been the butt of some jokes). In the end, Mofftiss picked up an idea that had been floating in the ether and created ... well, Eurus ... a leap that is questionable at best as she pretty much nihilates most of the first three seasons' logic. But sometimes a gimmick seems to be worth more than continuity *sigh*. In any case, there is no third Holmes brother in the canon, but there also isn't, so yeah... anyone is free to make one up :)

message 5: by Xanxa (new)

Xanxa | 3 comments Marie-Louise wrote: "There is a very vague reference to a third Holmes brother in one of the canon stories, but I can’t for the life of me remember which one..."

Thanks for this. I'll have to try to do some research myself and find the reference.

message 6: by Xanxa (new)

Xanxa | 3 comments Maria wrote: "There aren't any references to any other siblings in the Canon. The name is taken from the initial notes Doyle made on the planned story of A Study in Scarlet - when Holmes was still supposed to be..."

Very informative, thanks. Most of what you've said is new to me and helps to put things in better context.

I once made up a Margaret Holmes, who was believed to be Sherlock's daughter. I had her growing up an orphan in a slum and becoming one of the Baker Street Irregulars. I never got very far with that story though.

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria | 3 comments That's a cool idea Xanxa! I know a few people have written pastiches where Holmes has a child (most often it's with Irene Adler for some reason).
I guess the pleasure in writing Holmes pastiche/fanfic lies in the many gaps Doyle left for us to explore.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 13 comments Is the series back on ? I remember in the series on tv last time, but I do not feel her character is compelling. It rather feels it is a poor attempt to throw in a character to replace John’s wife, the one that passed. I honestly like Sherlock and Watson. I own the books movies, and the original from the series by Jeremy Brett. I had not heard the new season was starting up again. They play it fast and loose for us viewers. I wish Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr would make another Homes movie. My favorite of all will be Jeremy Brett. I have many other adaptations, but he just lived the part.

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 13 comments Laurie R King writes that Holmes has a wife. Great stories, more clinical, than romantic due to age difference.

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria | 3 comments Pamela wrote: "Is the series back on ? I remember in the series on tv last time, but I do not feel her character is compelling. It rather feels it is a poor attempt to throw in a character to replace John’s wife,..."

Nah, there won't be any more Sherlock for a while - and playing it fast is a little bit of an overstatement, considering they took 8 years to make four seasons :D

I agree about her character, though. It was a gimmick and not at all well thought through. They wanted to go biggerfasterstrongerdarker and sadly lost track of what they had been doing initially and the series fell apart. It saddens me, because it started off SO strongly in Season 1.

RDJ and Law are going to start work on a third film soon, I think. I'm definitely ready for some more shenanigans of that kind.

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 13 comments I’m so glad to hear that. I agree with you. It is sad when a great series, feels the need to go. Off the rails. That character just did not add a thing to the over all story line. Plus she was just tossed in for shock value. He is starting a new series on a channel like HBO or dStars or something, so I’m sure it will be quite some time before we get another season

message 12: by Marie-Louise (new)

Marie-Louise (aewyn) | 2 comments I stand corrected - it’s been a few years and a good number of pastiches since I read the reference to Sherrinford Holmes. 😝