Play Book Tag discussion

Romeo and Juliet
This topic is about Romeo and Juliet
May 2018: Family Drama > Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Magdalena | 414 comments "Is love a tender thing? it is too rough,
Too rude, too boisterous, and it pricks like thorn."

I love Shakespeare he just wrote with such a beautiful breathtaking rhythm. I know many quotes and have seen many adaptations but I recently realized I'd never actually read any of his plays in full. I felt like such an uncultured imbecile and determined to start reading them immediately. Since I already pretty much knew the plot of this one I decided it would be a good way the ease in.

I think most people already know the story so I'll just review what I thought of it.

I really enjoyed it. Some people say they hate it because it's illogical and I guess I can see their point but for me the fact that it maybe wasn't completely realistic didn't bother me too much because if you can get past that it's pretty epic and genius.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I always hope they won’t die. :-( It’s the same with Sateen in Moulin Rouge. Every time I watch it I hope it won’t happen.

Magdalena | 414 comments I know why do they have to die! I also do that when I watch Titanic.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9322 comments I just read Romeo and Juliet this year and it was for the first time. I also loved it. So many amazing lines. Truly tragic.

Magdalena | 414 comments Interesting that you also happened to read it for the first this year. I feel a little better I was starting to think I was the only one who had waited so long to read it. So glad I finally did. It really is tragic.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9322 comments Having a ninth grader who struggles with reading comp, I have either read things I have never got to, or have long forgotten. Some of these, it’s such a pleasure to reread as an adult. Some I am discovering for the first time. Catcher in the Rye is my current task. The illiterate one and his English teacher both need me to start and finish it ASAP.

Magdalena | 414 comments Rereading can be very enjoyable. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Catcher in the Rye. I personally didn't care for it but I think I in the minority.

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I want a R&J remake where everything is the same but at the very end J wakes up before R drinks the poison. Their plan works perfectly, they escape, and then we see in a flash forward that they have been married 50 years and are surrounded by grandkids. Lol.

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Yes Nicole, yes!!

message 10: by Jgrace (last edited May 26, 2018 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jgrace | 3097 comments Sometimes, I want it to end differently. Mostly, I want to shake their idiotic parents for allowing it to happen.

I also love the first two lines of the epilogue,

A glooming peace this morning with it brings.
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head.

But here's a different take from the New Yorker. R and J meet at Ben's wedding 15 years after their failed suicide attempt.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily...

Magdalena | 414 comments I agree they could make some great remakes. I don't know why they've never made a version where they live. It's what everyone always wants!

Love the New Yorker article Jgrace. It made me laugh!

message 12: by Book Concierge (last edited May 27, 2018 05:54PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6380 comments For a wonderful modern take on this classic story read Jeanne Ray's Julie and Romeo ... two middle-aged people with competing family-owned florist shops rekindle their teen-aged romance. Just delightful! (And no death scene ... )

As an aside - Jeanne Ray is Ann Patchett's mother.

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Jgrace, the New Yorker piece is hilarious!

message 14: by Cynda (last edited May 26, 2018 03:23PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Cynda  (cynda) This is an opinion, a considered one, but only an opinion.
To people whose feet are planted in the ground, these two lovers play unrealistic parts. Romeo and Juliet who are people with their feet planted in someone else's heart. Even before the play begins, Romeo is an unrealistic lover. His friends make fun of him with his lady loves. Only Benvolio seems to have real compassion for Rome's heart (Act 1, scene 1).
Juliet's connection between sexuality and love is strong, This is not very feminist, but very mom-ish and aunt-ish: Juliet and is just on the line between child and woman, is a demanding, dramatic person, and has just had her first experience. She is so in love she cannot see straight. Realistic for Juliet.
Combine these two willful in-love-with-love very young adults, and dramatic and fatal things can happen.
That's my take.

message 15: by Jgrace (last edited May 26, 2018 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jgrace | 3097 comments Susie wrote: "Jgrace, the New Yorker piece is hilarious!"

:)

JULIET

Ay, we wast younger then. Ideals still strong,

Our love boat caught in hormones’ tempest.

Anon I must put lust away to dock.

My thirtieth year approacheth, without mercy.

message 16: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Ha! And the line about mason jars!

Karin | 7456 comments Susie wrote: "I always hope they won’t die. :-( It’s the same with Sateen in Moulin Rouge. Every time I watch it I hope it won’t happen."

That's so funny, but although I don't do that with this play, I have done that before.

message 18: by Moke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Moke The ultimate family drama - well maybe that's Hamlet - great choice!

message 19: by Zofia (new)

Zofia (nebelmeer) I read "Romeo and Juliet" two years ago and I had mixed feelings about it. I really loved how beautifully it was written, but I hated the story. Especially because of Romeo, whom I found incredibly annoying. But now I'm thinking about rereading it.

message 20: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2666 comments I cry when Mercutio dies. Every. Freaking. Time. You’d think I’d be over it after all these years...

message 21: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Zofia wrote: "I read "Romeo and Juliet" two years ago and I had mixed feelings about it. I really loved how beautifully it was written, but I hated the story. Especially because of Romeo, whom I found incredibly..."

I didn't truly love R+J until I watched the Leo DiCaprio/Claire Danes movie. *sigh* I still picture those actors any time I talk about the play.

Jamie Zaccaria | 219 comments One of MY ALL-TIME FAVORITES! Mercutio is my fave literary character and it's my dream to play him on stage one day, even though I'm a lady.

Karin | 7456 comments Nicole R wrote: "Zofia wrote: "I read "Romeo and Juliet" two years ago and I had mixed feelings about it. I really loved how beautifully it was written, but I hated the story. Especially because of Romeo, whom I fo..."

Clare Danes is an excellent actress; perhaps I'll watch this as I have no strong emotional ties to the one with Olivia Hussy. That said, Colin Firth can never replace David Rintoul as Mr. Darcy for me, although he can act.

Clare Danes is amazing--when I saw her play Temple Grandin in the biopic on her I was extremely impressed at how well she captured Grandin--right up there with Sissy Spacek's portrayal of Loretta Lynn.

message 24: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It is an amazing movie. I love Baz Luhrmann.

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments I feel they have to die. Its impossible for them to live together. It is only their death that stops the families. If they live at this point in the story, I feel they would still eventually die because of the family feud.

message 26: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Jason, stop being logical... ;)

message 27: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments Nicole R wrote: "Jason, stop being logical... ;)"

Hahaha sorry. Hopefully Disney will make a fairy tale out of it. haha.

message 28: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments But they could run away to the Cayman Islands and sip coconut juice and live happily ever after!!

Karin | 7456 comments Jason wrote: "I feel they have to die. Its impossible for them to live together. It is only their death that stops the families. If they live at this point in the story, I feel they would still eventually die be..."

Susie wrote: "But they could run away to the Cayman Islands and sip coconut juice and live happily ever after!!"

Nicole R wrote: "Jason, stop being logical... ;)"

But of course, deep down we all realize the point Shakespeare was trying to make, so of course they had to die. He made a lot of insightful points. I see those much better listening to his comedies than his tragedies, because I like the comedies much better (Romeo and Juliet aside).