2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > June - Sensational Reads

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shanna (last edited Jun 27, 2018 07:55PM) (new)

Shanna This looks like a challenging challenge! I'll give it a go for 10.

Sensational Reads
Duration: June 1, 2018 - June 30, 2018

Progress 10/10

1. Sight The Seer of Shadows 6/18/2018
2. Hearing The Bell Jar 6/7/2018
3. Smell A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain 6/21/2018
4. Taste The Chocolate War 6/27/2018
5. Touch Quantum of Solace: The Complete James Bond Short Stories 6/10/2018
6. Proprioception The Maze 6/23/2018
7. Hunger & Thirst You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown 6/18/2018
8. Time Children of Time 6/16/2018
9. Other Senses- Thermoception Frozen Man 6/23/2018
10. Bonus: Sensational The Last Unicorn 6/5/2018

message 2: by Lindsay (last edited Jul 01, 2018 05:04PM) (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments I will go for 3 please

✅1. Sight: Sight involves the ability to see colors and brightness. It is also associated with clairvoyance, visual appeal (e.g., beauty, art), and being insightful.
Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

✅2. Hearing: Hearing refers to the ability to sense vibrations or sounds such as speech, music, or noises. It may also refer to one's ability to listen and understand another person.
Me Talk Pretty One Day

✅3. Smell: The ability to smell is related to sensing chemicals and is believed to be one of the first senses to develop, and thus, relates to some of our earliest memories. It helps detect both pleasant and unpleasant scents such as flowers, fragrances, food, pheromones, hazardous materials, and decay.
I first read this in high school and my memory of it was the smell of boiled cabbage.

4. Taste: There are five different taste receptors (sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and umami) and taste can refer to both the flavors of the foods we eat and our particular preferences (e.g., taste in clothing, taste in music).

5. Touch: The sense of touch refers to the ability to detect pressure, temperature, pain, and itchiness. It can also refer to a heartfelt emotional response a person feels, as in "I was very touched by their story."

✅6. Proprioception: This sense is your ability to detect where parts of your body are in relation to each other and the world. It can help us to move with gracefulness, skill, and speed even when other senses are impaired.
The Marvelous Land of Oz

7. Hunger & Thirst: Hunger and thirst relate to our internal cues to eat and hydrate, but also relates to longing and desire.

8. Time: Our sense of time relates to our circadian rhythm (sleep-wake cycle) as well as our abilities to estimate the time of day and to perceive the passing of time.

9. Other Senses: There are many other senses that have been identified. Many are listed here.

✅10. BONUS - Sensational: Sensational refers to something that receives a lot of buzz and attention (e.g., royal wedding, a high-profile court case, a scandal) or something that is in some way extraordinary
Revolution 2020: Love, Corruption, Ambition

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 28, 2018 05:45AM) (new)

I'll try and read 6 books.

Although I've picked a book for each category, 10 books will be too much. But if I manage, I'll read more than 6.

✔️ 1. Sight: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë 12.06.2018 ★★★★☆
✔️ 2. Hearing: The Trial by Franz Kafka 21.06.2018 ★★★★☆
3. Smell: Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind
✔️ 4. Taste: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan 10.06.2018 ★★☆☆☆
✔️ 5. Touch: Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen 04.06.2018 ★★★☆☆
✔️ 6. Proprioception: Frankenstein; Or, the Modern Prometheus by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley 19.06.2018 ★★★☆☆
7. Hunger & Thirst: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
8. Time: 11/22/63 by Stephen King
✔️ 9. Other Senses. Strech sensors: Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse 28.06.2018 ★★★★★
10. BONUS - Sensational: The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

6/6

message 4: by Mie (last edited Jun 10, 2018 03:56AM) (new)

Mie | 1989 comments I am in for 4 :-)

Sensational reads - 4/4 - COMPLETE ✔️

✅ 1. Sight - If You Could See Me Now - 3⭐️
✅ 4. Touch - Eighteen Below - 3⭐️
✅ 8. Time - The Clocks - 3,5⭐️
✅10. Sensational - A Study in Scarlet - 3⭐️

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 69 comments After underestimating myself last month, I’ll go for five.

message 6: by Emily (last edited Jun 25, 2018 06:03PM) (new)

Emily Whitmore I think I will try for all 10. I am also up for being the leader for this challenge.

1. Sight - A Study in Scarlet Women
2. Hearing - A Conspiracy in Belgravia
3. Smell - A Paris Year: My Day-to-Day Adventures in the Most Romantic City in the World
4. Taste - The Pisces
5. Touch
6. Proprioception - Bare Bones
7. Hunger & Thirst - My Year of Rest and Relaxation
8. Time - The Half-Drowned King
9. Other Senses- Chemoreceptors
10. Bonus: Sensational - Mr. Flood's Last Resort

message 7: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3389 comments I'll try for 4.

message 8: by Megan, Challenges (last edited Jul 02, 2018 04:45PM) (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6921 comments I'm in for 5!

1. Sight: Sight involves the ability to see colors and brightness. It is also associated with clairvoyance, visual appeal (e.g., beauty, art), and being insightful.

2. Hearing: Hearing refers to the ability to sense vibrations or sounds such as speech, music, or noises. It may also refer to one's ability to listen and understand another person.

3. Smell: The ability to smell is related to sensing chemicals and is believed to be one of the first senses to develop, and thus, relates to some of our earliest memories. It helps detect both pleasant and unpleasant scents such as flowers, fragrances, food, pheromones, hazardous materials, and decay.

4. Taste: There are five different taste receptors (sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and umami) and taste can refer to both the flavors of the foods we eat and our particular preferences (e.g., taste in clothing, taste in music).

5. Touch: The sense of touch refers to the ability to detect pressure, temperature, pain, and itchiness. It can also refer to a heartfelt emotional response a person feels, as in "I was very touched by their story." - Given to the Sea by Mindy McGinnis - completed

6. Proprioception: This sense is your ability to detect where parts of your body are in relation to each other and the world. It can help us to move with gracefulness, skill, and speed even when other senses are impaired. - The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen - completed

7. Hunger & Thirst: Hunger and thirst relate to our internal cues to eat and hydrate, but also relates to longing and desire.

8. Time: Our sense of time relates to our circadian rhythm (sleep-wake cycle) as well as our abilities to estimate the time of day and to perceive the passing of time. - Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King - completed

9. Other Senses: There are many other senses that have been identified. Many are listed here. - Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate - completed

10. BONUS - Sensational: Sensational refers to something that receives a lot of buzz and attention (e.g., royal wedding, a high-profile court case, a scandal) or something that is in some way extraordinary. - War Storm by Victoria Aveyard - completed

5/5 - completed!!!

message 9: by Jessica (last edited Jul 02, 2018 01:34AM) (new)

Jessica Ann (readncupcakes) | 66 comments Sensational Reads

Progress 5/3

Sight - Matchmaking for Beginners 6/14/18
Smell - It Ends with Us 6/18/18
Taste - Recipes for Love and Murder 6/23/18
Proprioception - No Easy Target 6/19/18
Hunger - The Secret Ingredient of Wishes 6/4/18

message 10: by Amanda (last edited Jun 22, 2018 01:48PM) (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1478 comments I would like to go for 2 please.

Sensational Reads

Our June theme is "Senses" and we will be reading books based on the five senses as well as several less-known senses. This is an open challenge, and you can interpret each sense literally or metaphorically, or choose a book with a title that relates to that sense in some way. Let your leader know the total number of books you would like to read for this challenge.

1. Sight: Sight involves the ability to see colors and brightness. It is also associated with clairvoyance, visual appeal (e.g., beauty, art), and being insightful.

2. Hearing: Hearing refers to the ability to sense vibrations or sounds such as speech, music, or noises. It may also refer to one's ability to listen and understand another person.

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Completed 6/6/18 Rating 4 stars

3. Smell: The ability to smell is related to sensing chemicals and is believed to be one of the first senses to develop, and thus, relates to some of our earliest memories. It helps detect both pleasant and unpleasant scents such as flowers, fragrances, food, pheromones, hazardous materials, and decay.

Op klaarlichte dag by Simone van der Vlugt
Completed 16/6/18 Rating 3 stars

The main character uses her sense of smell to get out of a dangerous situation.

5. Touch: The sense of touch refers to the ability to detect pressure, temperature, pain, and itchiness. It can also refer to a heartfelt emotional response a person feels, as in "I was very touched by their story."

6. Proprioception: This sense is your ability to detect where parts of your body are in relation to each other and the world. It can help us to move with gracefulness, skill, and speed even when other senses are impaired.

8. Time: Our sense of time relates to our circadian rhythm (sleep-wake cycle) as well as our abilities to estimate the time of day and to perceive the passing of time.

9. Other Senses: There are many other senses that have been identified. Many are listed here.

10. BONUS - Sensational: Sensational refers to something that receives a lot of buzz and attention (e.g., royal wedding, a high-profile court case, a scandal) or something that is in some way extraordinary.

2/2

Challenge completed

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 56 comments Sensational Reads

Progress 0/10

1. Sight
2. Hearing
3. Smell
4. Taste
5. Touch
6. Proprioception
7. Hunger & Thirst
8. Time
9. Other Senses-
10. Bonus: Sensational

message 12: by Emily (last edited Jun 25, 2018 06:04PM) (new)

Emily Whitmore Hi everyone! I will be leading this challenge. Sorry that the scoreboard will not be up at the top of the page.

SENSATIONAL READS CHALLENGE
Duration: June 1 to June 30th 2018

Participants

Amanda - 2/2 - Completed!
Anna - 5/6
Blagica - 0/3
Brittany - 3/5
Cindy III - 0/1
Claire - 0/10
Emily - 8/10
Jessica - 0/3
Katie - 0/3
Kristin - 2/3+
Lindsay - 1/3
Megan - 4/5
Mie - 4/4 - Completed!
Nikki - 3/4
Rebecca - 2/4
SarahKat - 6/4 - Completed!
Shala - 0/5
Shanna - 9/10
Sonja - 9/10
Vicky - 3/5

message 13: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments I'm in for 3!

message 14: by Brittany (last edited Jun 18, 2018 02:26AM) (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I'm a little late, but I'm in for 5.

1. I'm using From Twinkle, with Love for sight. The two main characters are looking to be 'seen'. One by popular peers, the other wants to be out of the shadow of his twin. They try to do this by making a movie, which is another type of sight.

2. Hearing - The Last Song

message 15: by Cindy III (last edited Jul 01, 2018 08:04PM) (new)

Cindy III | 334 comments I am in for 1/1
SENSATIONAL READS

Our June theme is "Senses" and we will be reading books based on the five senses as well as several less-known senses. This is an open challenge, and you can interpret each sense literally or metaphorically, or choose a book with a title that relates to that sense in some way. Let your leader know the total number of books you would like to read for this challenge.

Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 05 6/17 - 18 MC Nakaba can see the past and future

6. Proprioception: This sense is your ability to detect where parts of your body are in relation to each other and the world. It can help us to move with gracefulness, skill, and speed even when other senses are impaired.

10. BONUS - Sensational: Sensational refers to something that receives a lot of buzz and attention (e.g., royal wedding, a high-profile court case, a scandal) or something that is in some way extraordinary.

message 16: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1989 comments Update msg 5: 1/4
✅ 8. Time - The Clocks - 3,5⭐️

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily Whitmore Kristin wrote: "Emily wrote: "Hi everyone! I will be leading this challenge. Sorry that the scoreboard will not be up at the top of the page.

Thank you very much, Emily. I have added a link in the top post that ..."

Thank you!

message 18: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6921 comments Just completed #5 (touch) - Given to the Sea by Mindy McGinnis. I was really looking forward to this book, and it was disappointing. The concept was interesting, enough to keep me reading to the end. But the characters were not likeable and the writing was not clear. Not worth reading. 2 stars

1/5

message 19: by Shala (new)

Shala | 181 comments I'll try five.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Message #4 update!

5. Touch: Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen 04.06.2018 ★★★☆☆

1/6

message 21: by SonRod8a (last edited Jun 24, 2018 04:57AM) (new)

SonRod8a | 19 comments GOAL!!
Count me in for 10.
Progress: 10/10

1. Sight:
Girl Last Seen
completed 16 June 2018

2. Hearing:
Silence
completed 11 June 2018

3. Smell:
The Perfume Collector
completed 24 June 2018

4. Taste:
Delicious!
completed 13 June 2018

✅5. Touch:
Mirror Touch: Notes from a Doctor Who Can Feel Your Pain
completed 20 June 2018

6. Proprioception:
Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness
completed 8 June 2018

7. Hunger & Thirst:
Pretend We Are Lovely
completed 22 June 2018

8. Time:
13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened In Benghazi
completed 6 June 2018

9. Other Senses - Emotion as the Self-Regulatory Sense:
The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative
completed 4 June 2018

10. BONUS - Sensational
Lolita
completed 18 June 2018

message 22: by Becca (new)

Becca Watts | 180 comments I'll try for 4!

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie | 43 comments I'm in for 3!

message 24: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1989 comments Update msg 5: 2/4
✅ 1. Sight - If You Could See Me Now - 3⭐️

message 25: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1989 comments Update msg 5: 3/4
✅10. Sensational - A Study in Scarlet - 3⭐️

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1478 comments Update #13

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Completed 6/6/18 Rating 4 stars

1/2

message 27: by Becca (new)

Becca Watts | 180 comments 1/4

Sight

The Best Kind of Magic by Crystal Cestari

I continually keep seeing this beautiful cover on Instagram, and I just had to pick it up! Glad I did, as I gave it 4.5 stars.

message 28: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 69 comments 2. Hearing -- You Don't Know Me by Imran Mahmood

The book is a fictional transcription of a week long defence speech being given by a young man accused of murder.

1/5

Review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 29: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6921 comments Just completed #10 (sensational) - War Storm by Victoria Aveyard. Really good conclusion to the series! I appreciate that Aveyard makes her characters believable. She doesn't gloss over their flaws or defects. And she doesn't give them all rainbows and a perfect ending. It makes the story believable. Definitely worth reading! 4.5 stars

2/5

message 30: by Becca (new)

Becca Watts | 180 comments 2/4

Taste

The Thing About Leftovers by C.C. Payne

This book is full of recipes, food, and a cooking competition!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Message #4 update!

4. Taste: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan 10.06.2018 ★★☆☆☆

2/6

message 32: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1989 comments Update msg 5: 4/4 - COMPLETE ✔️
✅ 5. Touch - Eighteen Below - 3⭐️

message 33: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6921 comments Just completed #9 (other - sense of family) - Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. Quick read but with quite a punch. I really liked the characters, and the author's use of alternating chapters with past and present and short chapters alleviated some of the heavier moments. Because the book was narrowly tailored to its main characters, the peripheral characters were often lost. That's my only criticism. Definitely worth reading! 4.5 stars

3/5

message 34: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments Update msg 3

1984 for smell. I first read this in high school and the description of the smell of boiled cabbage is what has stuck in my mind.

1/3

message 35: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 69 comments Bird Box by Josh Malerman for sight -- a book in which most of the time people are blindfolded!

2/5

message 36: by SonRod8a (new)

SonRod8a | 19 comments Vicky wrote: "Bird Box by Josh Malerman for sight -- a book in which most of the time people are blindfolded!

2/5"

Sounds intriguing!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Message #4 update!

1. Sight: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë 12.06.2018 ★★★★☆

3/6

message 38: by Nikki (last edited Jun 13, 2018 04:06PM) (new)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 276 comments I got loaded down with work and fell off the book wagon for May's challenge. I'm climbing back on for June! This seems like a lot of fun! I will try for 4 books please!

1/4 complete

War Storm -*The visual color difference between the Red and Silver blood is prominent throughout the novel, as well as references to the newblood seer, who is clairvoyant.

message 39: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6921 comments Just completed #8 (time) - Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King. Overall, I really enjoyed this book, and I absolutely loved some of the issues it raised. It took me awhile to get into the book, but thank goodness it doesn't read like a normal King novel (I have a really hard time with his writing style). Really thought-provoking material. Definitely worth reading! I received this book as a free giveaway in exchange for my honest review. 4 stars

4/5

message 40: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments Update for message 18!

I finished The Last Song for #2, hearing.

2/5

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Message #4 update.

✔️ 6. Proprioception: Frankenstein; Or, the Modern Prometheus by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley 19.06.2018 ★★★☆☆

4/6

message 42: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 276 comments Update for msg. #44

7. Hunger & Thirst: Stolen: A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher ★★★★

8. Time: The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison ★★★

3/4 complete

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Message #4 update!

✔️ 2. Hearing: The Trial by Franz Kafka 21.06.2018 ★★★★☆

5/6

message 44: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1478 comments Update #13

Op klaarlichte dag by Simone van der Vlugt
Completed 16/6/18 Rating 3 stars

The main character uses her sense of smell to get out of a dangerous situation.

2/2

Challenge completed

message 45: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments Update for message #18. I finished A Wrinkle in Time for time

message 46: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3389 comments 6/4

1. Sight: Sight involves the ability to see colors and brightness. It is also associated with clairvoyance, visual appeal (e.g., beauty, art), and being insightful. -Legendary by Stephanie Garber. Clairvoyance, visual stunningness of Caraval.

2. Hearing: Hearing refers to the ability to sense vibrations or sounds such as speech, music, or noises. It may also refer to one's ability to listen and understand another person. -The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (in)ability to understand people. Also, sensory overload, usually because of noise.

4. Taste: There are five different taste receptors (sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and umami) and taste can refer to both the flavors of the foods we eat and our particular preferences (e.g., taste in clothing, taste in music). -The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket. Things that are "in"

5. Touch: The sense of touch refers to the ability to detect pressure, temperature, pain, and itchiness. It can also refer to a heartfelt emotional response a person feels, as in "I was very touched by their story." -Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas. Yrene's healing power is through touch. Chaol's whole situation involves physical pain.

6. Proprioception: This sense is your ability to detect where parts of your body are in relation to each other and the world. It can help us to move with gracefulness, skill, and speed even when other senses are impaired. - The Shape of Water by Guillermo del Toro. The creature is always described as graceful.

10. BONUS - Sensational: Sensational refers to something that receives a lot of buzz and attention (e.g., royal wedding, a high-profile court case, a scandal) or something that is in some way extraordinary. - A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle. Sherlock himself is sensational, as is the BBC show.

message 47: by Vicky (new)

message 48: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 69 comments 6th Sense/Clairvoyancy -- The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell

4/5

message 49: by Shanna (last edited Jun 27, 2018 08:01PM) (new)

Shanna Challenge complete! (Original Message #2)

Sensational Reads

Progress 10/10

1. Sight The Seer of Shadows 6/18/2018
2. Hearing The Bell Jar 6/7/2018
3. Smell A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain 6/21/2018
4. Taste The Chocolate War 6/27/2018
5. Touch Quantum of Solace: The Complete James Bond Short Stories 6/10/2018
6. Proprioception The Maze 6/23/2018
7. Hunger & Thirst You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown 6/18/2018
8. Time Children of Time 6/16/2018
9. Other Senses- Thermoception Frozen Man 6/23/2018
10. Bonus: Sensational The Last Unicorn 6/5/2018

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Message #4 update!

✔️ 9. Other Senses. Strech sensors: Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse 28.06.2018 ★★★★★

6/6

« previous 1