Support for Indie Authors discussion

Blurb Workshop > Blurb writing suggestion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments This would seem a good place to pass on a piece of advice that I was given about blurb writing. Before beginning, try to condense what you want to say into as few words as possible. One sentence for preference. By so doing you give yourself a place from which to build as concise and eyecatching a blurb as possible...

message 2: by Zana (new)

Zana Hart (zanahart) | 13 comments This wouldn't work for me because I tend to go too short with my blurbs anyway! I sometimes write mine while staring at the table of contents to remind me what to cover.

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra Jacob | 42 comments I agree with your advice Jane, a short blurb is more powerful.

A friend of mine reads a lot and uses blurbs to help him choose the books. I asked him what he looked for and he said long blurb was bad 'If it's more than a few paragraphs, I switch off.'

He also said he didn't need to know much of what happened in the plot, all he needed was an interesting idea that would catch his attention. I guess it depends on what kind of book you're writing (he reads science fiction, which all about the ideas), but I'd say if you can find a 'hook' in your book, something that makes it stand out and is intriguing, then that's all you need to make your blurb effective.

message 4: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1126 comments A good example of a short impactful blurb is "Hood" by Evan Pickering. "Civilization is dead. A legend is reborn." From there I'm ready to have a look inside. There is more to the blurb but not much. But that first part is a grabber.

message 5: by Andres (new)

Andres Rodriguez (aroddamonster) | 30 comments I think a blurb should reflect your interest in writing the story. What motivated you to start typing and see how the story panned out. What did you want to explore as you began to create your world and characters.

"Oh I have this great idea to write a book about Beauty and the Beast. They come together in a post apoc. world where Aladdin is searching for Jafar's genie powers to destroy the zombies!"

That, original idea should compose the majority of your blurb.

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Thatcher (jenna_thatcher) | 132 comments Oh my gosh, Andres. That sounds like a really stressful book. :)