Play Book Tag discussion

How to Stop Time
This topic is about How to Stop Time
Archive: Other Books > How to Stop Time/Matt Haig - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Tom Hazard has an affliction where he ages very slowly -- the affliction started during his teen age years and now 400 years later, he looks to be in his 40's. With such longevity comes, there are some pros and cons. On the plus side, he has been eye witness to many of histories famous events and met some key historical people. On the minus side, creating lasting relationships is impossible. Eventually, Tom encounters a man named Heinrich who has found others with the same affliction and founded the Albatross Society -- Albies for short. Heinrich as created a set of rules - most prominently, do NOT fall in love, and a framework for the Albies to police themselves and change identities so they will not be found out. However, Tom has moved back to London and is now tempted to break the rules laid out by the society.

This was an engaging story with a likable protagonist. The story starts in the present but moves around in time as Tom tells the story of his first love and various other exploits with famous people or the other Albies he encounters from time to time. With stories of this kind, there is a certain suspension of disbelief that is needed since it seems so coincidental that one person would be even on the periphery of so many famous people/events, but that was part of the fun. I actually enjoyed the jaunts into the past more than the present day story where Tom is a history school teacher (although there were some funny moments with that), looking for his daughter who also has the same affliction and his growing attraction to a french teacher at the high school -- the relationship felt a bit like insta-love. Overall, it was a solid read especially if you like time travel stories.

message 2: by Amy N. (new) - added it

Amy N. | 256 comments I've been wondering whether to read this. I'll put it on the list.

KateNZ | 2671 comments I loved this book - very glad it was a hit for you too!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Add me to the list of people who enjoyed it as well!

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Hmm... do you think this could be considered magical realism?

message 6: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments It’s tagged as Magical Realism and I’m very keen to read it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I suppose it could fit the definition of magical realism....besides living a long time, the rest of the story is realistic.

KateNZ | 2671 comments I think it would be a great one for the June tag

message 9: by Ladyslott (new) - added it

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I have this book, was wondering if it would fit the tag. May switch out my Read now.

message 10: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Didn't realize this would fit for magical realism! Definitely a June contender now!