Play Book Tag discussion

The Bookseller's Tale (Oxford Medieval Mysteries, #1)
This topic is about The Bookseller's Tale
Archive: Other Books > The Bookseller's Tale/ Ann Swinfen - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments 3.5 stars

Oxford England is still reeling from the devastating effects of the plague in the 1350's. Nicholas Elyot is a bookseller, who young wife died leaving him with 2 young children. While out "running errands", Nicholas discovers the body of an Oxford student in the river -- a young man that he had employed as a scrivener. When Nicholas notices a cut in the boy's clothing, he is determined to find out what happened to the boy.

This historical mystery series is very heavy on the historical detail, which I enjoyed. Nicholas, the main narrator is a very interesting character -- he left his studies at Oxford for love, which did cause some hard feelings. The author did a great job of weaving in the day to day life of medieval England as well as highlighting the how the plague impacted the town of Oxford. The mystery was also interesting. The secondary characters were also well rounded. I am looking forward to continuing with the series.

NOTE: this is available as a Kindle Unlimited if you are a subscriber

Booknblues | 6856 comments I am a big fan of this series and I think it gets better as the reader gets to know the characters better, but she always includes nice historical details.