Play Book Tag discussion

Cruel Beauty
This topic is about Cruel Beauty
Archive: Other Books > Cruel Beauty/ Rosamund Hodge - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Nyx has always know that she was fated to marry the Gentle Lord, the demon ruler of Arcadia, based on a bargain that her father made before she was born. However, her father is a member of an organization that is trying to bring down the Gentle Lord and so he has been training Nyx in the hermetic arts. Nyx has been trained to be tough, smart but she is also bitter at never having felt love and acceptance of her family. When she is finally married and taken to the prince's home, the Gentle Lord, Ignifex turns out to be different from her expectations and she struggles with her mission.

Oh my goodness, there was a lot to like about this story but ultimately I found the execution to be very confusing. The world of Cruel Beauty was forged out of mythology and quite interesting. The premise sucked you in from the very beginning and thus set up some high expectations. It was even refreshing to have a protagonist that wasn't a perfect and who had negative feelings. Unfortunately, once Nyx got to the castle, the story got confusing to me. What was confusing was how Nyx's feelings seemed to go all over the map for no apparent reason --- I get "falling in love" with the beast as part of the narrative, but it didn't seem like there was any logic to why she did. And, like many others, I was a bit confused by the ending.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9326 comments 30 word opening sentence that made me laugh, so not my genre. Was over for me by word ten.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Yeah, I’m doing a team challenge in another group, so reading some things that are not my normal these days. Sometimes you find some gems and sometimes you don’t.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9326 comments I love that you are so diverse. You are fun to follow. And you are the one who introduced me to the Seven Sisters, a gift I am so grateful for. If I remember correctly, you have also championed Strange the Dreamer, which remains on.my TBR as a choice if forced out of my comfort zone.