Historical Fictionistas discussion

Historical Fiction Discussions > The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I read this for A Witch in Literature course in college and recently re-bought a copy of the book to read again. I feel it can only be better the second time around :)

message 2: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3407 comments Mod
I want to read this one... I always thought it was straight fantasy though. =\

message 3: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 36 comments This is definately in my top 10 favorite books! I love it. I remember immediately having to read many other MZB books after reading this one. Hmm, I may have to re read it!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 293 comments Yay, Heather!!! So glad you started this thread. You know it's a favorite of mine too :)

I've read it twice and also read The Forest House aka The Forests of Avalon Avalon Book 4 and Lady of Avalon Avalon Book 5 (obviously didn't read this series in order as these two and Mists are the only 3 I've read...). Although I enjoyed those books, they weren't up to the standards of Mists for me. Just talking about it makes me want to re-read it too!

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Heather wrote: "Vicki wrote: "I read this for A Witch in Literature course in college and recently re-bought a copy of the book to read again. I feel it can only be better the second time around :) "

Vicki, that ..."

Unfortunately I don't remember all the books. We read Harry Potter, Wicked, The Grimms Fairy Tales and some non fiction accounts of witches. It was a very interesting class, but I probably took it seven+ years ago.

I am interest in what other books people have read by her too. I'd like to check some others out.

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 70 comments I will forever love the Mists of Avalon and not just because it was a great read (which it was) but because it rescued me from a broken heart when I was much younger... rather than sit home and cry over my lost love, I stuck my nose in a book and stayed there through the worst of it... and carried Marion Zimmer Bradley along with me... gorgeous descriptions, powerful women and Arthur.. what more can you ask for...? I've said this before but it's at the top of my "re-read" book list...

message 7: by Felina (new)

Felina | 447 comments Its interesting that for a long time I have absentmindedly picked up MZB's books and have probably 5 of them but have yet to read any of them. My first love is fantasy books so I think Mists would be a good read for me. You guys are making me excited. Now I just have to go and make sure that Mists is one that I have.

message 8: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 230 comments Being a Boudica fan (woman Celtic rebel against the Romans), my favorite book in the Avalon series so far is The Ravens of Avalon which is about Boudica.

I did enjoy The Mists of Avalon when I read it. It's not my favorite MZB novel. That would be The Heritage of Hastur which is one of her Darkover novels.

Shomeret

message 9: by Frances (new)

Frances | 8 comments I'm with Jennifer--loved Mists, enjoyed the others in the series but not as much. When I ran out of Avalon books, I too read the Darkover novels, which were great fun though uneven. May have to reread Mists...I so remember being sorry it ended!

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 70 comments Frances wrote: "I'm with Jennifer--loved Mists, enjoyed the others in the series but not as much. When I ran out of Avalon books, I too read the Darkover novels, which were great fun though uneven. May have to rer..."

I definitely felt the same way when I finished reading it years ago... I keep talking about re-reading it (I'll have to literally unearth it-- it'll be like pulling excalibur out of the stone), maybe I'll get around to it in September.

message 11: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 230 comments I just added Sword of Avalon, the next book in the Avalon series, which will be released in December, to my To Read shelf.

I suppose I should lay my cards on the table and tell you that not only am I a long time Darkover fan, but Diana Paxson, the current author of the Avalon books, is a friend of mine. This does not mean I will be mortally offended if you criticize her books. I just want you to understand where I'm coming from.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 293 comments Everyone's talking about either reading or re-reading Mists at some point. Do I sense a group read sometime in the future? heehee

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 70 comments I for one would love that... it'll make me get off the re-read fence... :)

message 14: by Frances (new)

Frances | 8 comments Shomeret wrote: "I just added Sword of Avalon, the next book in the Avalon series, which will be released in December, to my To Read shelf.i>

If it was written after MZB died, it's probably not that good--like the Atlantis one, can't remember the name of it. I'd vote to re-read Mists! Maybe my daughter will join in, she found it a bit daunting.

message 15: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 230 comments Frances wrote: "Shomeret wrote: "I just added Sword of Avalon, the next book in the Avalon series, which will be released in December, to my To Read shelf.i>

If it was written after MZB died, it's probably not ..."

Re the Atlantis book-- That wasAncestors of Avalon Avalon Book 2. Diana Paxson did research on that book, so it would be more authentic than most Atlantis books. Geologists have determined that there never was a sunken continent in the Atlantic.

MZB herself wrote The Fall of Atlantis which is more typical of Atlantis novels.

Shomeret

Shomeret

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 293 comments Shomeret - Have you read either of them? Did you prefer the one my MZB or Paxson?

message 17: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 230 comments Jennifer wrote: "Shomeret - Have you read either of them? Did you prefer the one my MZB or Paxson?"

I read both. As someone who prefers more historical authenticity in my HF, I preferred Paxson's. I usually don't read Atlantis novels. I probably wouldn't have read either one of them if The Fall of Atlantis hadn't been by MZB and The Ancestors of Avalon hadn't been an Avalon book.

Shomeret

message 18: by Jeane (new)

Jeane I am a step closer after about five years to reading the book: I took it from work yesterday, so Now at least I have it on my shelves already...victory is near.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 293 comments Oh Jeane... it's so good! You'll love it!

message 20: by Jeane (new)

Jeane I hope so, by the time I read it the time might have aready gone over 6 years. So when I finally read it, better be really good.

message 21: by Aly (new)

Aly (astar1978) I loved the Mists of Avalon. I got really into MZB books, but I lost interest when Paxson started writing them. I think I may have to re-read Mists though. It's been a long enough wait!

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 293 comments It's definitely one of my all-time favorites! I agree with Aly though... the books lost a lot when they lost MZB.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 293 comments I agree Heather. I keep looking at it (or it keeps looking at me? lol) and I need to reread it someday but when? Hopefully I'll find the time in 2010 but we'll see....

message 24: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Heather, we will read it together in January!!!!

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 70 comments I'm in on the re-read... been meaning to do it for years... hate to admit this.. but I read it more than 25 years ago... darn, I really am that old!

message 26: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Heidi, want to read it with us in January?

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 70 comments I'm definitely in for a re-read in January... I was just thinking that it would be a perfect winter read (the first time alone, I was nursing my first real broken heart and I buried myself in this book... might be why I have such fond memories of the read)... funny how some books mark events like songs also do.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2790 comments I love this book. It is the first Arthurian Legend book I read. It took me awhile to get through it because of reading other things. After I read it, I bought other MZB books. I haven't gotten around to them yet.

message 29: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) I have Mists of Avalon sitting on top of my to read pile. It is going to be a Christmas, New Year lazing about read. I cannot wait :)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2790 comments what are you waiting for Lindz get to it :) It's a looonng book.

message 31: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) Trying to finish David Copperfield which is also a very, long, book. As soon as I have finished that I will be plunging into the wintery depths of the world of King Arthur. I don't know why but in summer I like reading books set in cold times, werid.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2790 comments I never read David Copperfield.

message 33: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) It is a book that takes a little patience but it is worth it. I love how Dickens describes his characters. He will give them repeated phrases, that will give the certain traits. V.clever.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2790 comments I have read some Dickens just not gotten around to David Copperfield.

message 35: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) this is my first major dickens sorry a little excited :). But any ho looking forward to mists of avalon

message 36: by Jeane (new)

Jeane For those who want to read The mists of Avalon, we are planning to start reading in the first week of january, in case you want to read it together with us.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2790 comments i won't mind reading it again but it is soooo long. It took me like 6 months to get through only because I was reading other books. The movie is really good even though it cuts out alot.

message 38: by Jeane (new)

Jeane I started reading it....anybody else? I know Heather will join a bit late and also Jackie when she gets the book rom the library.

message 39: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) Have started as well :)

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2249 comments What is everyone status on this? I started it two nights ago. I'm currently up to ch. 3. It's very interesting now that I've got the names and who is who down.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2790 comments I already read it. I like to reread it but it';s too lonjg to fit in.

message 42: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) | 143 comments I read Mists of Avalon and Lady of Avalon and loved them both. I think the only other one I've read is Priestess of Avalon and it was ok. Didn't really hold a candle to Mists or Lady though.

message 43: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) Just started, still only on chapter 1 though

message 44: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2249 comments Okay, I don't feel so bad then. lol. I was supposed to read with Jeane, but wasn't able to get my hands on the book till this Monday so she is way ahead of me. I'm currently on ch. 3. It's very interesting so far for such a brick. I don't feel exhausted after reading an hour, unlike the Outlander series. I would read an hour and feel like I made no progress. lol.

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 70 comments Okay, I've got to slog my way through my boxes of books and find Mists of Avalon... or, I could just reserve it at the library... yeah, I'm in... as soon as I can locate my copy... :)

message 46: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2249 comments Yay! One more reader on board! :-)

message 47: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) This is the next book on my list. I can't wait to read it.

message 48: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 70 comments So I should be able to pick up the book by Monday... it would probably take me until February to find the book in my dungeon, er, basement... :)

message 49: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) Finally getting into the book. The story is really interesting, though writing a little over dramatic. But I love how it is making me feel like I am 16 again. I would have been so in love with this novel at that age. I just wish I had known about it then. It makes me want to put on the Backstreet Boys or something! :)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2790 comments hahahahaha

« previous 1 3