You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > June 2018 - Scavenger Hunt

Comments Showing 1-50 of 203 (203 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Image and video hosting by TinyPic

For June, we will be having a scavenger hunt!! This toppler will run from noon Saturday, June 2nd, to noon Saturday, June 9th, EDT.

Countdown to the start of the Toppler!!

Rules:
1. Books must be started and finished in this time period to qualify.
2. You may read any format - paperback, hardcover, ebook, or audiobook. For the last two use the page numbers on the first edition that comes up on the GR page.
3. Each book must be at least 175 pages.
4. Each book can only be used to satisfy one task
5. There are no bonus points. Each task can be completed as many or as few times as you like. There is no requirement to complete all of the tasks. (Though you would get a great feeling of accomplishment!)
6. Each book read is worth 10 points regardless of length.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 27, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Cover scavenger hunt
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The item in the list should be the main focus (or close to) of the cover. So, for example, a tree would mean a tree that is the focus of the cover. A mountain covered in trees would not count. Some discretion will be needed, but try to think if the item is meant to stand out or be noticed. **You can only use the cover for one item, which makes sense if the item is the focus of the cover.**

Items to find:
shoe
bird
tree
sun
moon
cupcake
apple
book
sea shell
egg
gun
sword
eye (close up, not a face)
hand
ring (the jewelry kind)
necklace
crown
hat
glasses (for eyes, can be sunglasses)
dog
cat
umbrella
flower
bicycle
table
chair
red coat
ballgown
dragonfly
butterfly
dragon
feather
mask
wing
mason jar
suitcase

Cover examples:
Dog: Marley and Me Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan Eye: The Fallen Star (Fallen Star, #1) by Jessica Sorensen Crown: The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen Flower: The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen Ballgown: Splendor (Luxe, #4) by Anna Godbersen
Mason jar: The Mourning Hours by Paula Treick DeBoard

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Teams!!

Team 1:
Lanelle
Annerlee
Kristie
Margo
Anna
TrudyAn

Team 2:
Almeta
Saar
Rusalka
Carol
Heather
Lori Z

Team 3:
Debra
Esther
Laura
Annette
Vicki
Lisa

Team 4:
Janice
Cherie
Casceil
Marie Claude
Pragya
Laura (Lclwags)

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments res

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments res

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Ooh, looks like fun, Kristie!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments What a great idea, Kristie!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

This looks like a lot of fun Kristie - thank you!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather GO TEAM 2!!

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Have fun gophering!

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments haha and speaking of which, does a boot count as a shoe? The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday (Isabel Dalhousie, #5) by Alexander McCall Smith

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather Kristie wrote: "Cover scavenger hunt

Would this count as an 'eye' ?

The Beast Within A Tale of Beauty's Prince by Serena Valentino

message 13: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10535 comments Another inspired idea!

A-Gophering I go!☺

message 14: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1915 comments Looks like a lot of fun and a lot of gophering! Starting to gopher and noticed you have flower listed twice. Typo?

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Laura wrote: "haha and speaking of which, does a boot count as a shoe? The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday (Isabel Dalhousie, #5) by Alexander McCall Smith"

Yes for boot being a type of shoe.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Heather wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Cover scavenger hunt

Would this count as an 'eye' ?

The Beast Within A Tale of Beauty's Prince by Serena Valentino"

I have to go with no because I specified that having a face wouldn't count, so I think it needs to focus more on the eye alone.

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 25, 2018 04:21PM) (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Lori Z wrote: "Looks like a lot of fun and a lot of gophering! Starting to gopher and noticed you have flower listed twice. Typo?"

Oops! Fixed.

Saar The Book owl | 1925 comments Next covers I can do: cat, dragon, red coat (need to double check), eye, bird and flower. If necesary, I can look for more :)

message 19: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10288 comments This is great Kristie, thankyou :-)

One little question - can you define "mason" jar please? I am not familiar with that term.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Margo, it’s a clear jar that you can screw a cover on. People use them for making jams or storing foods. There’s a picture of one in the book cover examples above.

message 21: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited May 26, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments You know those jars you use to make jam? If you have money and don't use old jars that you've cleaned. So those ones with the round circle of metal, and then you screw on the top? Those are Mason Jars.

They have a distinctive shape, which is why they are known by name. And now days, if you go to a trendy cocktail bar, you are likely to not have your cocktail in a glass, but a teapot or a Mason Jar.

description

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Thanks, Rusalka! I was on the app. :)

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 26, 2018 10:07AM) (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Remember everyone, when we look at your cover whatever the item is should jump out at us. We shouldn’t have to guess what your item is or search for it. It should be very clear, as in the examples above. It should probably be one of the only items on the cover it’s so close up. Goodreads lists may be helpful for gophering.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Just a thought, but if you’ve never been the score keeper for your team this would be a good one to try it out. Just ten points for every book reported and you don’t have to worry about shuffling things around or keeping track of what tasks need to be completed etc. Easy one for newbies. ;)

Don’t forget to set up your team threads! I set one up for team one. Head on over and chat!!

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Hey Kristie, would this work for dog on the cover? I know it's not the only thing on the cover, but it's in the foreground and pretty big? Trying to use this as a gauge to see just how big the object needs to be on the cover........

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

message 26: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I set up our chat thread, Team 3. It’s called Sup3r Sp3ctacular Scav3ng3rs unless we thinking something better.

message 27: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10288 comments Rusalka wrote: "You know those jars you use to make jam? If you have money and don't use old jars that you've cleaned. So those ones with the round circle of metal, and then you screw on the top? Those are Mason J..."

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it was small, large or inbetween! Just a screw top, storage jar - jam jar size. Got'cha 😉

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments I think it works, Laura. Just in the foreground and uncluttered enough. :) I think if there was anything else there it would be too distracting.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Great name, Debra!

message 30: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments Team 4: I have started a thread for us. We will need a name.

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Great toppler idea Kristie!

message 32: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3628 comments Such a cool toppler, Kristie!

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Nice idea Kristie.

message 34: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments Kristie, would A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam be okay for bicycle? It's the first "thing" I see on the cover.

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments I think I have to go with no, Rus. The cover just doesn't scream bicycle at me.

message 36: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Kristie wrote: "Great name, Debra!"

Thanks! I think it's going to stick!

message 37: by Marie Claude (new)

Marie Claude (mariecg2001) | 1013 comments Can the books read for the Toppler be used for the year challenge also?

message 38: by Marie Claude (last edited May 28, 2018 03:49PM) (new)

Marie Claude (mariecg2001) | 1013 comments Would this book work for table?

The Readaholics and the Poirot Puzzle (Book Club Mystery, #2) by Laura DiSilverio

message 39: by Marie Claude (new)

Marie Claude (mariecg2001) | 1013 comments Would this work for egg? ;o)

The Big Over Easy (Nursery Crime, #1) by Jasper Fforde

message 40: by Marie Claude (new)

Marie Claude (mariecg2001) | 1013 comments Would this work for chair?
Alone by Christophe Chabouté

message 41: by Marie Claude (new)

Marie Claude (mariecg2001) | 1013 comments Does it work for "Eye" or is the face taking too much room?
Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Marie Claude - Yes, toppler books can be used for the monthly or yearly challenge as well as the monthly theme if they fit.

I would say your table and chair books don't really jump out at me. The item needs to be the centerpiece of the cover and just draw your attention.

For the eye, I think your cover works. I think the rest of the face is cut off so you really notice the eye.

Your egg book is interesting because I'm not sure that the egg is the biggest, most important thing on the cover, but what it does have in the foreground is a gun, so it still works. Since there isn't anything else to clutter it up your eye is drawn to one of the two items and they are both on the list.

message 43: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments Kristie wrote: "I think I have to go with no, Rus. The cover just doesn't scream bicycle at me."

I though that was the answer, but you know, can't blame a girl for trying. Thanks Kristie.

message 44: by jaxnsmom (last edited May 28, 2018 08:22PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8303 comments A couple of clarifications.

Would Guyliner by j. leigh bailey work for eyes, or is there too much of his head showing?

Would The Dragon’s Flight Gay Paranormal Romance by Julian Clearwater work for dragon since it's a tattoo?

Would A Rose By Any Other Name (Fallen Rose, #2) by Charlie Cochet work for wings?

Would Time and Tide by E.M. Lindsey work for glasses, or do we have to see the whole pair?

message 45: by Lori Z (last edited May 29, 2018 02:42AM) (new)

Lori Z | 1915 comments Kristie,
Would this work for sword?
Fatal February by Barbara Levenson

Would this work for hat?
Mimosas, Mischief, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #6) by Sara Rosett

Would this work for table?
Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery, #2) by Riley Adams

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Oh, j'mom... hmmm. I think your eye is probably on the cusp of what fits. I said no face, but the face is cut off even though the top of his head is there. I was really looking for an eye, not a pair of eyes, but they are the focus of the cover, so I'll allow it.

I think the dragon works. It's clearly a dragon, even if it's a tattoo.

I think the wings are too hidden to be the centerpiece of the cover so I have to say no for that one.

Sunglasses...Again, I was thinking more full on, but they are right there with nothing distracting you from them, so I think they're ok.

message 47: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15212 comments Lori Z, I think your 3 are all good.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 3001 comments Hi Kristie, I just want to check on one, for the hand task, I'm thinking since the hands are fairly big and in the foreground it's ok but wasn't positive. Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for all the questions.

Here If You Need Me A True Story by Kate Braestrup

message 49: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1915 comments Thanks Kristie!

message 50: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8303 comments Thanks Kristie - that gives me plenty to work with.

« previous 1 3 4 5