Play Book Tag discussion

All's Well That Ends Well
This topic is about All's Well That Ends Well
Archive: Other Books > All's Well That Ends Well by William Shakespeare 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7477 comments The summary does more than this one will do, but in a nutshell, Helena loves Bertram although his station is above her and she is the ward of his mother. Her late father, a famous physician, has left her a prescription that enables her to cure the King of France on the bargain that she can marry whom she chooses. Horrified at this (snob to the core), Bertram refuses to bed her and heads off to war with a seemingly impossible ultimatum for Helena to fulfill in order for him to say she is his wife. One of her phrases, said at least twice is, "all's well that ends well."

While not as funny as some of Shakespeare's other comedies, nevertheless this is a good one, with some insights as to virtue vs rank, and there are FIVE female roles, which is more than most of the comedies of his I've read.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments This is not one of the plays I am familiar with. After I finish my Listopia and Century challenge I plan to tackle all of Shakespeare

Karin | 7477 comments Jason wrote: "This is not one of the plays I am familiar with. After I finish my Listopia and Century challenge I plan to tackle all of Shakespeare"

Wow, that's a big job. I am more interested in listening to all of the comedies; I'm not big on most of his tragedies.

message 4: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I also would like to tackle all of Shakespeare but we'll see how it goes. I plan to start with the famous ones.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments I plan to just go down the list. One comedy, one history, then one tragedy until they are all done. But I still have a few months before I start.