What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Fiction Read late 1970s/early 1980s British/Irish author set in Middle East, possibly Israel, Young female main character.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick McAnea | 7 comments Hi all,

Please see below vague details of a book requested by my university tutor. Would love to source this for her.

From my local branch library. I think it would have been young adult, rather than children’s. It depicted life growing up in a middle-eastern country – possibly Israel – of a young girl. Again, all I remember is the interesting cultural setting and that it was very moving. Again – late 1970s, early 1980s – can’t have been that many young adult books written in England but set in the middle east.

Genre: YA Fiction
Read: late 70s/ early 80s
Author: British/ possibly Irish
Set: Middle East/ Israel
Character: Young female

Moving/emotional plot.

Thanks folks!

message 2: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
Maybe One More River. First published in London, 1972

message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick McAnea | 7 comments Not sure this is the one as I think it is a British/Irish author, but thank you for your time! I'll double check with her to see if she recognises this.

message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
Lynne Reid Banks is a British author. Be sure to come back and let us know what she says, because if this isn’t it we’ll keep looking.

message 5: by Patrick (new)

Patrick McAnea | 7 comments She doesn't think this is it, the Canadian protagonist doesn't ring any bells, thank you anyway!

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Can you suggest why it was "moving/emotional"? For example, someone in the family dies, lost love, etc.? Or can you name any other emotions that you associate with it -- grief, fear, love?

Any idea how old the main character was?

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Do you have any idea whether the MC was Jewish or Muslim? That would narrow it down a lot.

message 8: by Patrick (new)

Patrick McAnea | 7 comments Hi folks, thanks for interest.
Details are hazy but the main character was a 12-16 year old British girl.

The emotion came from the impact of leaving a idyllic English setting to seeing the hardships and struggles of the people in Eastern Europe. Culture shock etc but by end of novel protagonist comes to appreciate the beauty of the country and people.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40644 comments Mod
Patrick, are you still looking for this or did you find it?