What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Tramp and the Dog
This topic is about The Tramp and the Dog
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's Fiction: 1970s/earlier British/Irish school book Titled: The Tramp About homelessness, isolation, has a pet dog. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick McAnea | 7 comments Hi all,

I am currently a Trainee teacher and my tutor, a wonderful book-loving woman, recently got us all discussing 'books that changed our life'.

She had 2 books which have stayed in her memory for 40 years but she can't remember them and google hasn't helped. I would love if Goodreads folks could help us.

Book 1:

The first book had a central character who was homeless. I thought the title might have been ‘The Tramp’ (I know that’s very un PC but it was the seventies) but maybe it has a similar title – the vagrant or whatever. Whilst normally homelessness is in urban areas, the main character frequented rural areas. I think he was accompanied by a dog. All I remember is that it was a very moving evocation of this solitary man’s life.
The book was in my primary school class library and was definitely children’s fiction.

Breakdown:

Title: The Tramp/ The Vagrant
Read: 1970s school in Belfast
Author: British but possibly Irish
Plot: Rural homeless man wanders country possibly with a dog. Themes of isolation.

message 2: by Andria (last edited May 25, 2018 01:18PM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
I can't find a summary of the plot, but perhaps the cover will look familiar: The Tramp And The Dog - published in London in 1975

message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick McAnea | 7 comments Thank you so much! I have a feeling this might be it!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36601 comments Mod
Should we move your request to the "Possibly Solved" folder? Please come back and let us know if this is your book.

message 5: by Patrick (new)

Patrick McAnea | 7 comments Yes, this was the book, thank you very much! Case solved!

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36601 comments Mod
Great! Glad you found your book, Patrick.