Book Cover Reviews discussion

The Trade (Jersey Chasers #1)
This topic is about The Trade
Cover Reviews > Sports Romance cover review - Am I crazy??

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashlyn (new)

Ashlyn Hope (ashlynhope) | 2 comments So many romance book covers are the same so I tried to be a little unique with illustrations. But, my first attempts at covers for my latest series seemed to be a failure as the response has been mum. I've redone the covers but am still wondering-are these too far off for romance books or just different enough to stand out???
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.c...
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.c...

message 2: by Harald, The Swimmer (new)

Harald | 409 comments Mod
Hi Ashlyn!

Interesting. While I'm not a Romance reader I see their covers all the time. Hard to avoid! I just checked the Kindle Romance Best Sellers and guess what: #1 (at this writing) is an illustration! ("Matchmaking for Beginners"). Most the others are, of course, the usual photo treatments with 6-pack abs, tatoos, etc. And look at "Veronica's Dragon," a blend of photo and illustration.

So it's not unheard of to do illustrations. My only concern with yours is they feel a little "comic-booky." Or maybe a little YAish. But I'm not the target reader. My suggestion is to try them and see how it goes.

BTW: you have great Brightness Contrast on "The Trade" but not so much on "Defensive Maneuvers." On the latter, you should darken the areas under the key texts (main title, author name).

Tell us how it goes!

message 3: by Ashlyn (new)

Ashlyn Hope (ashlynhope) | 2 comments Hey Harold,

Thanks so much for the response! I think you're dead on with all of it. I'm fortunate to have an illustrator that's happy to do revisions so this is going to be redone until it's right. :)

You rock, Harold!
Ashlyn

message 4: by Harald, The Swimmer (new)

Harald | 409 comments Mod
Ashlyn wrote: "... You rock, Harold!..."

That's me: the Rocker! (I play drums in a Classic Rock band, too)