2018 Big Book Summer Challenge discussion

Sign-Up for 2018 Big Book Summer Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Suzan (last edited May 25, 2018 08:42AM) (new)

Suzan Jackson (suejackson) | 125 comments Mod
Use this group to sign-up for the challenge - just leave a comment with your intention to participate. You can also list the Big Books you intend to read this summer, if you want, but you can also choose as you go!

Remember, if you have a blog, then you should sign up on the challenge page on my blog so that you can add your link to the list:

http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/p/2018...

message 2: by Andrea (last edited May 25, 2018 04:29PM) (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) I am going European this year!

Have gotten a hold of Thomas Mann’s Buddenbrooks, a book published first in 1900.

And, if I’m really ambitious, I’ll get Emily Wilson’s The Odyssey- cannot justify cost at present and my library isn’t getting it- the first “feminine” translation. If you hang around me, you already know that’s my favorite soap—-book after reading the prose version in College.

Have already read over 100 books this year...

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Greensmith (janegs) | 7 comments Just signed up!
Potential Reading List
The Masterpiece, by Emile Zola
Our Mutual Friend, by Charles Dickens
Can You Forgive Her, by Anthony Trollope
World Without End, by Kenneth Follett
Drums of Autumn, by Diana Gabaldon (just need to reread before November and season 4 of Outlander!)

Link to my blog post: https://janegs.blogspot.com/2018/05/b...

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane Greensmith (janegs) | 7 comments Andrea wrote: "I am going European this year!

Have gotten a hold of Thomas Mann’s Buddenbrooks, a book published first in 1900.

I read Buddenbrooks in college about 35 years ago and really liked it--hoping to reread it again one of these years!

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Jane wrote: "Just signed up!
Potential Reading List
Drums of ..."

World Without End is such a good read I wore out my paper book and recently replaced it and Pillars of the Earth with used hardcovers. I really loved all three

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Jane wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I am going European this year!

I read Buddenbrooks in college about 35 years ago and really like..."

In 1992, soon after the WALL fell in Germany, I spent time in an exchange of sorts where I preached at a church in Mochenglabach. Part of that trip was spent in Lubeck, where Thomas Mann lived, and the pastor I was staying with was reading Buddenbrooks in German (of course). Recently, I ran across a review of the translation I will read, and I got a used trade paperback to read it.

message 7: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "I am going European this year!

And, if I’m really ambitious, I’ll get Emily Wilson’s The Odyssey- cannot justif..."

Welcome to the #BigBookSummer Challenge, Andrea! So glad that you decided to join the fun again :)

I am very impressed by your Big Book choices - enjoy!

And come back to the group to update your progress!

message 8: by Suzan (new)

Jane wrote: "Just signed up!
Potential Reading List
Drums of ..."

Welcome to the #BigBookSummer Challenge again, Jane! So glad you are joining the fun again. Looks like an excellent list - I should have included a classic, too! I'm impressed you are planning to tackle both a Follett and a Gabaldon - both tend to be chunksters!

Enjoy your Big Books!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 6 comments Signing up! Almost done with my first Big Book: Hum if you Don’t Know the Words by Bianca Marais!!

message 10: by Suzan (new)

Kate wrote: "Signing up! Almost done with my first Big Book: Hum if you Don’t Know the Words by Bianca Marais!!"

Yay! Welcome to the #BigBookSummer Challenge, Kate! Glad you decided to join the fun :)

Be sure to come back - there are other discussion threads for what big books you are reading or those you've finished. I really want to read Hum If You Don't Know the Words after hearing her speak at Booktopia! My mom is enjoying the book, too.

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 41 comments Ok, Sue I’m in! I’m already reading The Outsider so I guess I’m started!

message 12: by Suzan (new)

Victoria wrote: "Ok, Sue I’m in! I’m already reading The Outsider so I guess I’m started!"

Wonderful, Vicki! Glad you decided to join the fun. A Stephen King is always good for a Big Book! Enjoy it and come back here to update the group - there are separate discussion threads for what you are reading now and Big Books you finish, and you can add your books to the group bookshelf, too.

Enjoy!

message 13: by Darlene (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:33AM) (new)

Darlene | 1 comments I'm in!

Here are some of the big books on my TBR:

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons The Thief (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16) by J.R. Ward Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon Nocturnal by Scott Sigler The First Taste by Jessica Hawkins The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins Ghost Story by Peter Straub

Here is my blog post for the sign-up:
https://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.com...

message 14: by Suzan (new)

Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Darlene! So glad you decided to join again! Looks like some wonderful Big Books for you to choose from this summer - Dragonfly in Amber is also one I hope to get to.

What are you starting with?

Enjoy!

message 15: by Maria (new)

Maria Berger | 3 comments I'm joining! I'll read 5th wave, and maybe a few others we'll see!

message 16: by Suzan (new)

Maria wrote: "I'm joining! I'll read 5th wave, and maybe a few others we'll see!"

Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Maria! So glad you joined the fun! The 5th Wave is a great one to start with - I just flew through it!

Enjoy!

Alex (Gadget Girl 71) (butterfly2honey) | 7 comments I hope to read at least 10 books this summer.

message 18: by Suzan (new)

Alex wrote: "I hope to read at least 10 books this summer."

Wow, that's great, Alex! Quite an impressive goal! Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge!

Enjoy your books! Come back to the group and update us in the other discussion threads - Big Books You Are Reading and Big Books Finished.

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 11 comments Starting the Challenge with Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Appreciate this forum as I just moved and have not established a new reading community yet.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Robin wrote: "Starting the Challenge with Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Appreciate this forum as I just moved and have not established a new reading community yet."

Welcome Robin! We’ve just moved recently as well...just across town....but with 50% downsizing about 1/2 of a 40 year book collection now in the hands of donations.....(we still have 2K though). Did you catch the PBS’ Little Women adaptation?

After I finish “Silence’ by Endo I’m digging into Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann.

Again, welcome

message 21: by Suzan (new)

Robin wrote: "Starting the Challenge with Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Appreciate this forum as I just moved and have not established a new reading community yet."

Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Robin!! So glad you decided to join the fun!

And check out the local library in your new town - they have some great book groups. I often see the listings in the paper and wish I lived down there!

Enjoy Little Women!

message 22: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "Robin wrote: "Starting the Challenge with Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Appreciate this forum as I just moved and have not established a new reading community yet."

Welcome Robin! We’ve just ..."

Thanks for reminding me, Andrea! I've been looking for something new to watch - I had forgotten about the new Little Women show.

message 23: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Have not seen them. Have read that if you can watch them all at once it’s best

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Finished a very disturbing, it’s been on my shelf since ‘88 and I’d never read it (Silence byShusaku Endo)book. Going to take a day before I start Buddenbrooks and finish Song of Achilles, which is marvelous!

message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 2 comments I loved the Buddenbrooks. Just started my first read for this challenge last night, Little Women (for the Book Cougars read-along, so the novel is pulling double duty).

message 26: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "Have not seen them. Have read that if you can watch them all at once it’s best"

Good to know! If I ever have an hour to myself to watch TV again...(busy summer so far!)

message 27: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "Finished a very disturbing, it’s been on my shelf since ‘88 and I’d never read it (Silence byShusaku Endo)book. Going to take a day before I start Buddenbrooks and finish Song of Achilles, which is..."

I'm sure I have plenty of books that have been on my shelves since '88! lol Sorry that one was disturbing - hope you like the next one better!

message 28: by Suzan (new)

Chris wrote: "I loved the Buddenbrooks. Just started my first read for this challenge last night, Little Women (for the Book Cougars read-along, so the novel is pulling double duty)."

Nice start, Chris! I just re-read Little Women a few years ago, so I don't think I'll be reading it again for the challenge, though I may try the new TV show!

message 29: by Claire (new)

Claire | 5 comments Signing up 😊👍
I've broken myself in gently by listening to a 'big book' on audible, just finished last night, Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) which was Excellent...
we're moving this summer so most of my books are now packed but i have two big ones besides my bed that i hope to get through... The Historian by Elzabeth Kostova 704 pages, which i started last summer and had to stop because my migraines were too bad to read many physical books, this one also having particularly small print.
Followed by Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus, a Percy Jackson book 554 pages.
Good luck everyone, Enjoy!

message 30: by Suzan (new)

Welcome to the 2018 Bug Book Summer Challenge, Claire! Glad to see you back :)

I've only read one Robert Galbraith so far (it might have been for Big Book Summer last year), but I really enjoyed it.

Enjoy your big books!

message 31: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 41 comments I read all the Career of Evil books and enjoyed them. It's a Cinemax series now, but I heard not great things about it so I haven't checked it out yet.

message 32: by Claire (new)

Claire | 5 comments Sue wrote: "Welcome to the 2018 Bug Book Summer Challenge, Claire! Glad to see you back :)

I've only read one Robert Galbraith so far (it might have been for Big Book Summer last year), but I really enjoyed i..."

Thanks Sue! It's my second one, i read the first and somehow missed the second one out! X

message 33: by Claire (new)

Claire | 5 comments Victoria wrote: "I read all the Career of Evil books and enjoyed them. It's a Cinemax series now, but I heard not great things about it so I haven't checked it out yet."

Yes! We've had them on tv here in the UK, it's called Strike, three mini series so far, one for each book, they've done a great job with them, cast, script etc...i hope she writes more. X

message 34: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 41 comments Thanks, I will check that out then, Claire.

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen Nelson | 2 comments Signing up officially. I’ll be reading A Little Life. Just finished 4 3 2 1. Excellent if not slightly confusing at first. Worth it.

message 36: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Claire wrote: "Victoria wrote: "I read all the Career of Evil books and enjoyed them. It's a Cinemax series now, but I heard not great things about it so I haven't checked it out yet."

Yes! We've had them on tv ..."

The first-Cuckoo Calling was great. The others are in my library queue

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Karen wrote: "Signing up officially. I’ll be reading A Little Life. Just finished 4 3 2 1. Excellent if not slightly confusing at first. Worth it."

4321-...It never grabbed my attention. I do want to read A Little Life someday though

message 38: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Just signed up. I'm starting with Emma by Jane Austen.

message 39: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 11 comments Karen wrote: "Signing up officially. I’ll be reading A Little Life. Just finished 4 3 2 1. Excellent if not slightly confusing at first. Worth it."
I had the same opinion of 4 3 2 1.

message 40: by Suzan (new)

Karen wrote: "Signing up officially. I’ll be reading A Little Life. Just finished 4 3 2 1. Excellent if not slightly confusing at first. Worth it."

Welcome to the 2018 Big Book Summer Challenge, Karen! So glad you decided to join the fun :)

I've heard such good things about A Little Life - hope you enjoy it.

message 41: by Suzan (new)

Hannah wrote: "Just signed up. I'm starting with Emma by Jane Austen."

Welcome to the 2018 Big Book Summer Challenge, Hannah! Glad you decided to join the fun this year!

Emma was one of my Big Books a few summers ago :) It was my first (and so far, only) Jane Austen novel. Hope you enjoy it!

message 42: by Andrea (last edited Jun 19, 2018 11:04AM) (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Andrea wrote: "Claire wrote: "Victoria wrote: "I read all the Career of Evil books and enjoyed them. It's a Cinemax series now, but I heard not great things about it so I haven't checked it out yet."

Yes! We've ..."

Just got Silkworm and Caraval from the library.

message 43: by Kim (new)

Kim Jacobson | 2 comments A little late to the game, but I'm going to attempt to read:
The 5th Season by N.K. Jemison
Bear Town by Fredrik Backman
The Hate U give by Angie Thomas
We'll see if I can get them finished by Labor Day!
Heard about you and this challenge on The Book Cougars Podcast - sounds fun!

message 44: by Suzan (new)

Kim wrote: "A little late to the game, but I'm going to attempt to read:
The 5th Season by N.K. Jemison
Bear Town by Fredrik Backman
The Hate U give by Angie Thomas
We'll see if I can get them finished by Labo..."

Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Kim! So glad you decided to join the fun - looks like you have some great books lined up - should be a good reading summer for you!

message 45: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Have passed the first two “parts” of Buddenbrooks last night. This is quite a book.

Also finished God, War and Providence this morning and got the review(s) up. Going away this weekend and debating bringing the Kindle or just Buddenbrooks

message 46: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "Have passed the first two “parts” of Buddenbrooks last night. This is quite a book.

Also finished God, War and Providence this morning and got the review(s) up. Going away this weekend and debatin..."

Wow, you've been reading a lot! Nonstop family emergencies here so not a lot of reading time, but Dragonfly in Amber has been a huge comfort & a lovely escape :)

message 47: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Sue wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Have passed the first two “parts” of Buddenbrooks last night. This is quite a book.

Also finished God, War and Providence this morning and got the review(s) up. Going away this week..."

Hope it gets better...have decided to bring Kindle as well as Buddenbrooks so I can listen to a book on the train if I want to, s well as the not-so-great camera on the kindle.

message 48: by Cheriee (new)

Cheriee Weichel | 18 comments So far I've finished one book, The Boat People by Sharon Bala, and just started listening to Naomi Klein's This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate.
Here is my blogpost of the books I'm going to choose from. I hope to finish at least four of them this summer.
http://dickenslibrary.blogspot.com/20...

message 49: by Suzan (new)

Cheriee wrote: "So far I've finished one book, The Boat People by Sharon Bala, and just started listening to Naomi Klein's This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate.
Here is my blogpost of the books I'm ..."

That's great, Cheriee! I left you a couple of messages - don't know if you've seen them - please leave your link on the Challenge page links list - if it doesn't load right away, just give it a few minutes - it's been slow.

https://bookbybook.blogspot.com/p/201...

message 50: by Suzan (new)

Cheriee wrote: "So far I've finished one book, The Boat People by Sharon Bala, and just started listening to Naomi Klein's This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate.
Here is my blogpost of the books I'm ..."

Ignore my last comment - I see you just did add your link! Enjoy your Big Books! You've got a great list for the summer.

« previous 1