Art Lovers discussion

Paintings of the Same Subject > Artist Self Portraits

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather (last edited May 25, 2018 08:54AM) (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn

Rembrandt

Rembrandt Laughing

With Dishevelled Hair

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

Vincent van Gogh

dedicated to Paul Gauguin

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

Pablo Picasso
Age 15

age 20

Age 56

age 83

age 89

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 95 comments Great idea for a subject!

So much sadness in Rembrandt's eyes in his later portraits.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Famous Self Portraits that Changed the Face of Art
by Elena Martinique

Famous self-portraits created by most prominent figures throughout the history of art are a testament of this genre’s versatility. This long established form of portraiture dates back to antiquity, but it was not until the Early Renaissance in the mid-15th century that painters began depicting themselves as the main subject more frequently. Using mirrors as technical means, many painters, sculptors and printmakers have been reproducing their own image in various different and innovative ways for a variety of motives. Some have often been creating repetitive self-portraits as they aged to capture the ever-changing self.

Jan van Eyck’s Portrait of a Man in a Turban is regarded as the earliest known panel self-portrait. Albrecht Durer was also a prolific self-portraitist and he has created more than twelve self-portraits in various techniques. During the Renaissance, painters such as Masaccio, Piero della Francesca, Sandro Botticelli, Titian or Michelangelo Buonarroti avoided formal self-portraits and inserted their own images into different setting in their paintings. The prolific Dutch genius Rembrandt van Rijn has executed over 40 self-portraits over the course of his artistic career and he was obsessed with aging image of himself. Many 19th-century painters such as Francisco Goya, Edouard Manet, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec were also very much interested in the genre of self-portraiture and have depicted their own image either individually or in groups. Vincent van Gogh was one of the greatest self-portraitists of the 19th century and his most notable work is a Self-Portrait With the Bandaged Ear created during his emotional and physical decline. Egon Schiele has created numerous controversial and shocking self-portraits in his recognizable expressionistic style, Edvard Munch has painted himself regularly to show the ill treatment he suffered in life, Frida Kahlo has created over 50 self-portraits to depict her personal torment and the German Impressionist painter Lovis Corinth painted himself once a year on his birthday.

Portrait of a Man in a Turban
Jan van Eyck

Self-Portrait with Bandaged Ear
Vincent van Gogh

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments The contemporary self-portraiture has spread across all media and styles from Warhol’s Pop Art portraits and Francis Bacon expressionistic ones to photorealistic pieces by Chuck Close and self-portrait photography by Cindy Sherman that explores the female identity. Let’s take a look at the most famous self-portraits.

Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror
Parmigianino

The Italian Late Renaissance painter Parmigianino has painted this portrait using the convex mirror. He was fascinated by the distortion throughout his career. Depicting the distorted reflection of the young artist in the middle of a room, the foreground of this portrait is dominated by the greatly enlarged artist’s hand distorted by the mirror. The artist’s expression is unusually serene with sweet and striking features. The piece is painted on a convex panel in order to imitate the curve of the mirror. The Late Renaissance art biographer Giorgio Vasari stated that the self-portrait was created as a bravura performance to showcase the artist’s talent to potential customers.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

The Prodigal Son in the Brothel
Rembrandt van Rijn

embrandt’s 1637 painting The Prodigal Son in the Brothel portrays two people who have been identified as Rembrandt himself and his wife Saskia. The artist and his wife are painted as the younger son and a bar prostitute in a depiction of life in the far country. Rembrandt was drawn to the parable of the prodigal son throughout his painting career and was returning to it several times. Identified as one of the greatest of all Jesus’ parables, this parable has inspired many creatives from across the ages and around the globe for its moral and religious background. It is believed that the left side of the canvas was cut by the artist himself to place the viewer’s focus on the main theme.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

Le Desespere
Gustave Courbet

The painting Le Désespéré is a self-portrait of artist Gustave Courbet as a young man in despair. The artist’s close-up shows the eyes wide open that plunge into the viewer. Painted with lots of contrasts, the character seems to leap of the canvas. It remains unclear whether the despair depicted in the painting was the artist’s current emotion or a mere theoretical exercise. Portraits of the time were traditionally vertical, but Courbet has chosen to use a landscape orientation for his painting. It is believed that he was particularly keen on this piece, since he has taken it to exile in Switzerland with him.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

Self-Portrait With Physalis
Egon Schiele

Egon Schiele has executed many self-portraits, and Self-Portrait With Physalis from 1912 is his best-known one. It depicts the 22-year-old artist that is at the same time self-confident and fragile. The composition is balanced and every line finds its continuation or a counterpart to which it corresponds. The hair and the body of the artist are cropped by the edges of the painting and the slander branches with the colored red lampoon fruit is depicted in the background. During this period, Schiele was extremely productive and his expressionistic style of painting became somewhat calmer and more realistic.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

Hand With Reflecting Sphere
M. C. Escher

The Dutch artist M. C. Escher was fascinated by unusual vantage points and something he has described as “mental imagery” often based on theoretical premises. The litograph Hand with Reflecting Sphere, also known as Self-Portrait in Spherical Mirror, depicts a hand holding a reflective sphere where we can see the artist and his surroundings. These self-portraits in reflective convex surfaces were very common in his work and this piece is certainly the most famous example. In this piece, Escher does the unusual and shows the means by which all self-portraits must be created. He makes the mirror the subject of his piece. He is less interested in his own image, but the way the space is distorted by a convex reflective surface.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

The Two Fridas
Frida Kahlo

The self-portrait The Two Fridas is one of the most notable and recognized Kahlo‘s works. Depicting two versions of Frida Kahlo seated together, the painting symbolizes her pain during her divorce from Diego Rivera and the subsequent transitioning of her novel identity. Frida on the right is wearing a white European-style dress, a costume she donned before her marriage to Rivera. During their marriage, she started to explore the traditional Mexican heritage. Thus, the other Frida is depicted in the traditional Mexican costume. This painting also symbolizes her dual cultural heritage. The bleeding heart emphasizes her emotional and physical pain. The blood is a recurring symbol in her work, and it often gestures her ambivalent attitude towards accepted notions of womanhood and fertility.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

Self-Portrait
David Hockney

The self-portraits of David Hockney often record the act of self-portraiture, such as the fact of a painter looking in a mirror and trying to record what he sees. His portraits present the ideal of honest observation. This piece from the 1954, is one of his early self-portraits created at the age of 17. The backdrop for this piece is a page from The Times, as he wanted to make a joke with one of the headlines. He was inspired by the headline on page 14 about the fortunes of the wool industry. This piece depicts an artist as a teenager painted against the headline “Textile Trade Improves”. As an intentional reference, it is a playful element of the portrait. The piece was discovered a few years ago, and the artist himself was amazed that it has survived.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

Reflection With Two Children (Self-Portrait)
Lucian Freud

This piece is Lucian Freud‘s self-portrait with his two children Rose and Ali Boyt. It is painted by looking down at his reflection in a mirror placed by his feet. Thus, there is and extreme foreshortening and the halo-like ceiling light just above his left shoulder. This uneasy painting shows the artist as a colossal father figure, while his children are depicted as very tiny. It symbolizes alienation and anxious self-consciousness. The artist made the use of the mirror explicit and he stares at it coldly. He stated he used a palette knife to describe the space around him and smear it to create a strange, gray, voluminous void.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

Self-Portrait Facing Death
Pablo Picasso

The painting Self-Portrait Facing Death is Pablo Picasso‘s last well-known self-portrait and it was done a little less than a year before his death. Typically for his self-portraits, he is depicted with big eyes that seem to swallow up the viewer, but he insisted he is not the one who is doing the looking. The artist is here battered by time and is facing his mortality, and his gaze seems terrified, but brave. His friend Pierre Daix recalled that Picasso “held the drawing beside his face to show that the expression of fear was a contrivance”.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

Untitled Film Still #14
Cindy Sherman

The artist Cindy Sherman is famous for her self-portraits that never show her true self, but numerous different identities she constructs. She plays various roles and the more we see of her, the less recognizable she is. Her disguises comment on the female roles defined by the society and reveal gender as an unstable and constructed position. This photograph is from her early poetic series where she imagined herself as a Hitchcock or film-noir heroine in the American landscape. In this series, she has played various roles from an immature schoolgirl to an attractive seducer and from a glamour diva to a caring housewife. Her works encourage a self-reflection in the viewer.

https://www.widewalls.ch/famous-self-...

message 16: by Hawaa (last edited Aug 19, 2018 01:25PM) (new)

Hawaa (hawaaayoub) | 4 comments Heather wrote: "Untitled Film Still #14
Cindy Sherman

The artist Cindy Sherman is famous for her self-portraits that never show her true self, but numerous different identities she constructs. She plays vari..."

Using the photographic technology of her time (she was both subject and photographer), she was still able to create images telling a story and a specific message. She was criticising how men viewed women as portrayed in popular culture of the time. Although stills she conveyed a mini-drama, her work does tell a story and have a message.

message 17: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3285 comments The photograph of Cindy Sherman brought back some memories.

Long ago (Almost 40 yrs) when I was in my last year Graphic Arts I made a self-portrait in screen-print.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_...

I didn’t particularly like screen-print, I always got a headache from the ink and & solvents.
So I spent most of the time doing Etchings and Lithography, which I preferred. Besides I had fallen in love at the beginning of the year with a pretty first-year student and spent much more time with her than was sensible. I think I only made a couple of watercolours those first months and maybe one or two etchings.
The last month of the year we had no more theoretical courses, so extra time to create a body of work that at the end of the period had to be presented to a jury. Needless to say, I got pretty busy working up to 15 hours a day to create enough art to pass. During these weeks I was confronted by our screen-print teacher, who told me that he had not seen me at any point during the year, which meant that I now had just a couple of weeks to make at least one screen-print to add my portfolio for the jury. If I did not do that, he would flunk me.
So I went home a bit troubled by this ultimatum.
But I came up with a pretty good idea, I had some photographic material in my home and a dark room, so I made an enlargement of a black and white photo of myself and exposed it through a rasterising filter I got from my father. But instead of putting the filter on the enlargement, I put it on the negative so I got these pretty big raster dots, a bit like when you look at a newspaper photo with a magnifying glass, but even bigger. I thought it looked really cool and took it to the screen print class the next day. The teacher liked the photo and helped me print it.
At that time there was a pretty famous graphic designer Lucien De Roeck at our school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucien_...

I was not one of his students, he taught commercial graphic arts and I was enrolled in free graphic arts. He strolled in the atelier when we were finishing my print and gave me the greatest compliment I received during all those years of school; he took one look at the print and sighed: “Now why can’t my students make something like this?”
It’s not surprising I was not flunked ;-)

I could put up a pic of this print but I’m a little reluctant to put my art next to Rembrandt and Van Gogh...
But if anyone is interested, I'm willing to show this juvenile piece of art.

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Dirk wrote: "The photograph of Cindy Sherman brought back some memories.

Long ago (Almost 40 yrs) when I was in my last year Graphic Arts I made a self-portrait in screen-print.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..."

That's a great story and experience, Dirk! Thank you for sharing that. And I, for one, would love to see your work! There is a folder dedicated to that alone where everyone can post their own work to display for the rest of us. No, van Gogh and Dali are not in the group. lol

I look forward to seeing anything you would like to share!

Talent of the Members: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 19: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3285 comments Hi Heather,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction ;-)
I did not have the time yet to look at that folder (still working on the picture of the day - I think I reached 2013 or so ;-)
I'll see if I can put it up tonight. Right now it's past 6 pm and time to start preparing diner.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

Self-Portrait as a Heel
Jean-Michel Basquiat

message 21: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3285 comments A couple of years ago I saw a pretty good movie about Basquiat:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115632/

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Dirk wrote: "A couple of years ago I saw a pretty good movie about Basquiat:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115632/"

Thank you for posting this, Dirk! I watched the trailer and it looked so good! I watched all the following trailers, also and now there are plenty of movies I want to see...You rock!

message 23: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie Heather wrote: "Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn

Rembrandt

Rembrandt Laughing

With Dishevelled Hair
1628"

I have actually seen the first two painting of this lot.

message 24: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie And I have also seen all 1889 self portraits of Van Gogh and the self portrait of Pablo Picaso at the age 15.

Out of all, I like Van Gogh self portraits.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments That’s Awesome to have seen all those! How did you get to do that? Aren’t all Van Gogh’s self-portraits all over the world?

And I would agree with you on your preference of Van Gogh over Picasso any day!

message 26: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 161 comments Me too.
I love Van Gogh's art.Theres just something to it that really draws you in.

message 27: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie Heather wrote: "That’s Awesome to have seen all those! How did you get to do that? Aren’t all Van Gogh’s self-portraits all over the world?

And I would agree with you on your preference of Van Gogh over Picasso ..."

I saw those three of Van Gogh in Musee d'orsay, Paris. Only the 1889 ones.

message 28: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3285 comments The Musee d'Orsay is awesome, it used to be an old train station, but it’s now a beautiful museum dedicated to impressionism.
I visited it the last time I was in Paris.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus%C3%...

They have a lot of Cezanne, Degas and Monet amongst others but also 24 beautiful Van Goghs.

message 29: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie Musee d'Orsay is the best art museum that I've visited. Just loved being there.

message 30: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Piyangie wrote: "Musee d'Orsay is the best art museum that I've visited. Just loved being there."

I have to agree, Piyangie! I look forward to returning someday!

message 31: by Martin (new)

Martin Ridgway (martin209) Heather wrote: "Le Desespere
Gustave Courbet

The painting Le Désespéré is a self-portrait of artist Gustave Courbet as a young man in despair. The artist’s close-up shows the eyes wide open that plunge into ..."

I saw this at an exhibition in the National Gallery (London) with a couple of others with different expressions - in other words he's experimenting with different "roles" but this one was chosen for emphasis (maybe even the exhibition's main poster) because it fits with the idea of "the great Romantic artist".

message 32: by Martin (new)

Martin Ridgway (martin209) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...

Artemisia Gentileschi: Self-portrait as the Allegory of Painting, 1638-39

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Thank you for your comments, Martin! Are you new? Glad to hear a new ‘voice’! Welcome 🙂

message 34: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Martin wrote: "https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...

Artemisia Gentileschi: Self-portrait as the Allegory of P..."

Artemisia Gentileschi: Self-portrait as the Allegory of Painting, 1638-39

Hope you don't mind, Martin. I just posted the painting to which you are referring. It's neat! I really like her, her style and her drive in life! Her experiences during her time are fascinating and inspiring.

message 35: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) Sometime in the 90's a read a history of art cover to cover. When I reached the end I realized the author had not mentioned a single woman, not even Berta Morrisot or Mary Cassat. It wasn't until years later that I discovered Artemisia Gentilleschi. Thanks for including her here.

message 36: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3285 comments I still discover female artists whom I never before heard of in my courses art history or visits in museums. Here is one I encountered a couple of months ago, thanks to my constant browsing of the internet for the pic of the day thread.

Sofonisba Anguissola
(1532 - 1625)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sofonis...

Self-Portrait, 1556, Lancut Museum, Poland

message 37: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments I believe this is the woman painter that Barry Unsworth writes a fictional account of her life. Yes, she had it rough. And yes, her work as examplified by this self portrait puts many men to shame. So let's name some contemporary female artists who you thing merit megastar attention.

message 38: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Helen Frankenthaler
Louise Nevelson
Georgia O’keeffe

Those are only off of the top of my head. There are many more whom I admire and appreciate their work.

message 39: by Martin (new)

Martin Ridgway (martin209) Thanks - I couldn't work out how to do that!!! Glad to see it's sparked off some more suggestions.

message 40: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3285 comments Hi Martin, it is indeed a bit complicated ;-)

Did you check the thread: Guess who (by artist work)?

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Around post 26, I explained to Kristine how to post a picture.

After a couple of tries she finally succeeded, so my explanation cannot be too bad ;-)

message 41: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) After many tries but then my computer skills are marginal.Your explanation was great !Watch out for what you put in getting changed as if autocorrected.

message 42: by Kristine (last edited Mar 30, 2019 08:02AM) (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) Oh boy...don't get me started...I think I'll show off my new skill too.
This is Paula Moderson-Becker's "Self-portrait with Camilia Twig"

message 43: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments The Creation of Eve by Lynn Cullen. It's a fantastic read and I was mistaken. It was not written by Barry Unsworth. My bad.

message 44: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Frida Kahlo
Barbara Hepworth
Leonora Carrington

message 45: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) Alice Neel's Self-Portrait

message 46: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) Tamara De Lampicka's Self-portrait in Green Bugatti

message 47: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3285 comments Geoffrey wrote: "The Creation of Eve by Lynn Cullen. It's a fantastic read and I was mistaken. It was not written by Barry Unsworth. My bad."

Thanks for the tip Geoffrey, I've put it on my reading list!

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Kristine wrote: "Tamara De Lampicka's Self-portrait in Green Bugatti
"

I like this one...

message 49: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Heather wrote: "Kristine wrote: "Tamara De Lampicka's Self-portrait in Green Bugatti
"

I like this one..."

Despite my adversion to the artist's pandering to the vanity of the economic elite, I like this one as well.

message 50: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments this is a particularly good thread. I only wish that there were more art book publishers who would do anthologies on this subject. Somehow, for many artists, their self portraits are more interesting than the other works they have created.

« previous 1