YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Salt & Storm (Salt & Storm, #1)
This topic is about Salt & Storm
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper - Restarting July 8th 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84118 comments Mod
A sweeping historical romance about a witch who foresees her own murder--and the one boy who can help change her future.

Sixteen-year-old Avery Roe wants only to take her rightful place as the witch of Prince Island, making the charms that keep the island's whalers safe at sea, but her mother has forced her into a magic-free world of proper manners and respectability. When Avery dreams she's to be murdered, she knows time is running out to unlock her magic and save herself.

Avery finds an unexpected ally in a tattooed harpoon boy named Tane--a sailor with magic of his own, who moves Avery in ways she never expected. Becoming a witch might stop her murder and save her island from ruin, but Avery discovers her magic requires a sacrifice she never prepared for.

message 2: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1951 comments I might join you for this one if I have time :) .

I'm not 100% sure who's reading it, the thread went missing so i created a new one. I don't have an ARC.

message 4: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1951 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm not 100% sure who's reading it, the thread went missing so i created a new one. I don't have an ARC."

I do. Was using this topic to motivate myself. I heard is a little boring. I got distracted by the pretty cover. And I promised myself I won't choose titles based on that but... how can you resist them? They sparkle! @.@

I have that trouble too. I've been trying to be a bit pickier recently though. I got sick of reading boring books, when I could be reading something I really wanted to read instead. Not that that totally stops boring books. take feed for example...

Diamond (diamondnaz) I'm in on this!! * waves* How fast are we reading this? Or are we just gonna wing it and discuss as we go?

Holly  (skizzles22hju) | 98 comments I'm reading this too! Is everyone okay with winging it and discussing? I'm never very good at keeping on a schedule. But I'm open to either! :)

Diamond (diamondnaz) I'm cool with that! :)

Diamond (diamondnaz) So who's ready to start this?

I actually managed to get an ARC of this so I can start later today ☺

Diamond (diamondnaz) Yayyy! Yeah i will be starting tomorrow (it's the 10th where I live).

:)

It's the 10th here too. I have time to read it today though ☺

chapter 2 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1951 comments Diamond wrote: "So who's ready to start this?"

I'll start on the 12th. Today and tomorrow I'm still trying to finish Forbidden. That book is freaking depressing >.<.

message 15: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1951 comments Holly wrote: "I'm reading this too! Is everyone okay with winging it and discussing? I'm never very good at keeping on a schedule. But I'm open to either! :)"

I don't think people can't stick to a schedule when it comes to books. If I really like a book I can't stop after 5 chapters. On the other hand, when I find it boring, I want to go to bed after 2 chapters (regardless of the time of the day). So I really can't make any promises regarding my speed while reading this. Just use the spoiler tags and I'll join you when I get there XD.

That bad? I haven't read it yet but people are always telling me how great it is.

Well I like this so far, it's very atmospheric, but the ARC is a bit of a mess, there are lines where the end is missing, and then whole paragraphs which are repeated.

and now there are lines where the start of the line is missing.

chapter 4 (view spoiler)

chapter 5 (view spoiler)

chapter 7 (view spoiler)

chapter 10 (view spoiler)

chapter 15 (view spoiler)

Holly  (skizzles22hju) | 98 comments I'll be starting this tomorrow! I have another buddy read to finish today. :)

I hope you like it, I'm really loving it at the moment ☺

Holly  (skizzles22hju) | 98 comments That's awesome to hear! I can't wait to start it.

chapter 16 (view spoiler)

chapter 20 (view spoiler)

chapter 22 (view spoiler)

chapter 25 (view spoiler)

chapter 27 (view spoiler)

Diamond (diamondnaz) Yeah going at our own pace is best. I'm trying to finish at least one book before I start this, most likely tomorrow! :)

message 31: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (kaitlins16) I may be a little late getting to this because I just started Dangerous Boys and I want to finish it before I start an other books

Diamond (diamondnaz) I just started! I read the first chapter :) it's good so far. I didn't realize this took place in the 1860s!?

message 33: by Holly (last edited Aug 12, 2014 08:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Holly  (skizzles22hju) | 98 comments I'm at 28% and am really enjoying it! I'm hooked. I like the main character's voice, and she's very strong and sassy. Oh, and can't forget about Tane! He's sweet, intriguing, and I want to know more about his past.

(view spoiler)

Diamond (diamondnaz) I'm at 18%

(view spoiler)

Holly  (skizzles22hju) | 98 comments Ouch, that ending. It was kind of perfect, but it still hurt.

I liked Avery a lot, but I just felt like she gave up. She resigned herself to the future of being murdered without ever trying to change it. I felt like her strength dwindled away until she was a hollow shell of the girl she used to be. (view spoiler)

Diamond (diamondnaz) Chapter 18
(view spoiler)

Holly wrote: "I'm at 28% and am really enjoying it! I'm hooked. I like the main character's voice, and she's very strong and sassy. Oh, and can't forget about Tane! He's sweet, intriguing, and I want to know mor..."

love tane!

Holly wrote: "Ouch, that ending. It was kind of perfect, but it still hurt.

I liked Avery a lot, but I just felt like she gave up. She resigned herself to the future of being murdered without ever trying to ch..."

(view spoiler)

Diamond wrote: "Chapter 18

I thought her (view spoiler)

Diamond (diamondnaz) You guys finished it so fast! I'm here all like ahhh what happens?! Lol. Thank god for spoiler tags.
I feel like I'm either going to be super impressed with this ending, or super depressed and pissed lol.

Holly  (skizzles22hju) | 98 comments Sarah wrote: "Holly wrote: "I'm at 28% and am really enjoying it! I'm hooked. I like the main character's voice, and she's very strong and sassy. Oh, and can't forget about Tane! He's sweet, intriguing, and I w..."

He was one of my favorite characters! (view spoiler)

Diamond (diamondnaz) I finished it! Wow, what a crazy last part of the book.

(view spoiler)

I'm glad I read it though. And I love witch books, so this is another one in the many I've been reading lately :)

Holly  (skizzles22hju) | 98 comments Diamond, I really did not like Avery's attitude toward her mom (especially after she heard the truth and what her mom gave up for HER). (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Diamond (diamondnaz) @Holly - I know what you mean! (view spoiler)

For those reasons I really almost gave this 2 stars. But, I did enjoy the story for the most part and the creativity of it made me think I should give another star. It's about a 2.5 for me though, I will read more of this author if she writes another book.

Holly  (skizzles22hju) | 98 comments (view spoiler)

I'm teetering on a 3.5 rating, but I haven't written a review yet, so I'm still working through the story. I'm a more critical thinker after I've finished a book.

Diamond (diamondnaz) Exactly! I think I said those exact words in my review, lol. I think I was a little harsh in my review, but...yeah. It was kind of a weird book in the sense that my reactions were so varied throughout it, u know?

Holly  (skizzles22hju) | 98 comments Yeah, mind kind of were too! But I really enjoyed the book. :)

Diamond (diamondnaz) Me too. I'm gonna read Illusions of Fate next. Bring on the witch books lol

Holly  (skizzles22hju) | 98 comments Jealous! I've heard amazing things about that book. I can't wait to see what you think of it.

Diamond (diamondnaz) I read the first chapter and it's awesome so far! Can't wait to finish what I'm reading and continue. I'll let u know how It is ;)

« previous 1