The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

The Joy Luck Club
This topic is about The Joy Luck Club
Book Discussions > The Joy Luck Club

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (new)

L (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod
The June group read winner is the Joy Luck Club! Colleen will be leading your discussion for this book, so look out below for her posts. In the meantime, let us know if you'll be joining in below!

message 2: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 335 comments Mod
I've already read this one, but that's ok. It will give me time to finish up some other books I'm trying to finish reading. I might participate in the discussion though. For now, I will wait until someone else posts so I don't give away any spoilers. (I hate that when someone does it to me...you know...courtesy.)

message 3: by Elba (new)

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I have read this one a few times. It’s a great book. I will participate in the discussion and check to see what you guys thought. Also it was made into a movie and it was good. Happy reading GG friends.

message 4: by Colleen (last edited Jun 01, 2018 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Colleen (miniguinea73) | 0 comments Hi Everyone! I’m so excited to be leading the discussion on The Joy Luck Club. I am a huge fan of Amy Tan and I’ve read this and seen the movie I am looking forward to rereading this with you all!

To get us started, what do you think about the style of the book? It is not a traditional novel told by one narrator, but each chapter is told through a different narrator. Still, the stories are very intricately connected. How do you think this will affect your reading of the book?

message 5: by Simant (new)

Simant Verma (allthatissim) | 7 comments I am excited to read this.

Cathrine | 14 comments I just purchased this today! I haven't started reading it yet but, hopefully, I will soon (once I've finished my current read).

Paige | 5 comments I saw the movie a long time ago but never read the book. Can't wait to start.

Debbie (debblett) My copy just arrived!

Margriet (m4rgriet) | 12 comments I just found out I have a copy in my bookcase (blushing...), so I'm in!

Jennifer Lindsay  | 29 comments I ordered from thriftbooks a few days ago.

Paige | 5 comments My copy just came in the mail!

Kelly | 20 comments So far, this book is drawing me in and I don’t want to put it down.

message 13: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly I may have to join in! I've wanted to read this book ever since I saw the episode of Gilmore Girls where Lorelai refers to Emily and Richard as the "Joyless Luck Club." :-)

Colleen (miniguinea73) | 0 comments How is everyone doing with the book? I've just finished reading it and I had forgotten how much I loved this story. I am so sad that it is done and I'm no longer spending time with these ladies.

Do you find yourself identifying with any of the characters as you read?

Jennifer Lindsay  | 29 comments I just finished and I really enjoyed it. It was funny and charming. I love all the perspectives and the influence of culture and even all the nuances of different regional culture.

I could see how we respond so emotionally to those we love the most, good and bad.

The reflections of things gone by. Our story is who we are, it is what shapes us. It reminds me to not forget to learn other people's stories before it is too late.

Colleen (miniguinea73) | 0 comments I think you are absolutely right, Jennifer. Our stories are much bigger than us. That theme of the past as the present is so important in this book. So many connections between the experiences of mother and daughter.

Kelly | 20 comments I really love this book! Very different life analogies. I had to sit with some of the life lessons that were mentioned. I would definitely read this one again!

Colleen (miniguinea73) | 0 comments How’s everyone doing with the book? For those of you who have finished, any unanswered questions?

Margriet (m4rgriet) | 12 comments Just finished. I really liked the stories in this book. I wonder if the relationships between the Chinese mothers and the Chinese-American daughters is so different from other, non-Chinese mother-daughter relationships.

message 20: by Frau Spätzle (last edited Jul 31, 2018 04:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frau Spätzle (soenne) I'm only about half way in, but I can't get the idea of Mrs Woo (June's mum) being the model for Mrs Kim out of my mind. Anyone else feel this way?

Krysta Conicella | 2 comments Colleen wrote: "Hi Everyone! I’m so excited to be leading the discussion on The Joy Luck Club. I am a huge fan of Amy Tan and I’ve read this and seen the movie I am looking forward to rereading this with you all!
..."

I really enjoy the style of this book and the transitions between the chapters. However, I do see a major difference in the relationships between these mother and daughters vs. other cultures. I feel like I am struggling with this because I don't relate in so many ways and I think its affecting how I am reading this book because I have SO many questions about all the different sayings and meanings and how they translate.

message 22: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 335 comments Mod
Yesterday (or maybe the day before? It's been that kind of week here...)while I was at the pharmacy I saw a lady reading this as I was reading Madam Bovary. She nodded at me and I at her and we went back to reading. I wondered later if she was reading it for this group. MN readers at the pharmacy a few days ago?