Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > List Issue

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrik (last edited May 25, 2018 04:33AM) (new)

Patrik (glusch) | 17 comments I'm not sure I should not post this here, but very uncertain where else. In the Goodreads list Best Books Ever the book Fahrenheit 451 appears twice. As of writing this post in spot 44 and 91. One version in English and one version in Spanish.

I don't know if the same book is allowed to appear several times (as long as it's translations) but I found it odd so thought I might as well point it out.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments We're not able to check for duplicates on several lists for months/years now. This list was reported around 10 months ago.

Detailed info: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Patrik (new)

Patrik (glusch) | 17 comments Gotcha! Maybe one could manually remove the ones in the top ~100? Obviously no-one expects you to go through all of the list but would be nice to not have duplicates in the top of the list. It's one of the biggest lists on Goodreads as well.

message 4: by Michael (last edited May 25, 2018 11:49AM) (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments Glusch wrote: "Gotcha! Maybe one could manually remove the ones in the top ~100? Obviously no-one expects you to go through all of the list but would be nice to not have duplicates in the top of the list. It's on..."

We can't remove duplicate books manually (as in, we have the ability to, but we don't for other reasons) because that would mean votes would be lost for removed books. When we check for duplicates, all the votes for editions of same book are consolidated together.

For ex, if we remove duplicates for Fahrenheit 451, it would probably move twenty places up because the votes for all editions of Fahrenheit 451 are added but if we remove the Spanish duplicate it's still stuck in 40s and we'd lose votes of those who voted for Spanish edition