Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent discussion

Movie vs. Book

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Frankie Which one did you prefer? The movie or the book? I preferred the book but the movie was great too! I watched the movie halfway through the book (don't ask) and when I finished the book, I thought that they took out a lot of stuff...

Frankie Decontee wrote: "I preferred the book
they made an almost complete mess out of the movie. everything didn't go the way book said it did."

I know right! That totally threw me off and I was like that didn't happen or this happened before so-and-so.

Annie I prefer the book over the movie even though the movie was good and had some things that I liked better than the book. Like the ending when they made Jeanne (I don't know how to spell her name. Ugh!) shut down her own serum and when they stabbed her hand with a knife. But one thing I was mad about was not having Edward at all, not getting stabbed, and the dorms were nothing like I expected!

message 4: by Ben (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ben Washington I prefer the movie. But only because Veronica Roth writes prose like retarded elephant on a tiny keyboard. Seriously some of the worst prose I've read. It's a shame too because this series has such an interesting setting and social structure. It's just too bad that Roth's fingers have explosive diarrhea on the keyboard. If she could write worth a damn, I'd much prefer the books.

I've never read anything else from her, so I'm not sure if she's always this bad; or if she spent so much time with the setting that she figured it would carry whatever else she vomited into her narrative. Either way, the end result is the same. I can't get past her poor sentence structure, dialogue, and internal dialogue.

AbigailDenyse01 I love both. the movie was almost exactly like the book in my opinion. though I like the movie more because they have the part where four is drunk and that was fricken hilarious!

Sofia Abigail wrote: "I love both. the movie was almost exactly like the book in my opinion. though I like the movie more because they have the part where four is drunk and that was fricken hilarious!"

I don't remember them having that part in the movie....??

AbigailDenyse01 whoops I meant in the book. I always do that! I really have to look over my messages befor I post them!

Sofia Abigail wrote: "whoops I meant in the book. I always do that! I really have to look over my messages befor I post them!"

Haha, ya I agree with you. They took out all the small, funny moments that really made the book special.

Victoria Baril Seriously who's going to say the movie?

Elizabeth Nunez the book... Tris's character is more passionate than in the movie. The whole time I was thinking "really this is their portrayal of her after reading the book?"

message 11: by Ben (last edited Aug 03, 2014 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ben Washington Victoria wrote: "Seriously who's going to say the movie?"

Me. I did. But it's more because I detest Veronica Roth's terrible prose than because the movie was something special. I enjoyed the movie. The book is something my wife wants me to read. I am appeasing her. But really, just terrible prose. The setting is wonderful, the characters are pretty much 'meh', and the prose is just awful.

message 12: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara Ben wrote: "I prefer the movie. But only because Veronica Roth writes prose like retarded elephant on a tiny keyboard. Seriously some of the worst prose I've read. It's a shame too because this series has such..."
I totally agree with you. I didn't like the book as much as I thought I would just because how horrible she writes. However, I think the writing got a lot better in Insurgent. Anyway, i love the plot and the story!

message 13: by Ben (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ben Washington Sara wrote: "Ben wrote: "I prefer the movie. But only because Veronica Roth writes prose like retarded elephant on a tiny keyboard. Seriously some of the worst prose I've read. It's a shame too because this ser..."

For sure; the plot is pretty good. The characters could be better... I guess I just get frustrated with the main character's impulsive stupidity and inability to learn from it... despite claiming she's learned from it.

Better than the plot is the social structure and setting. Using Chicago as a backdrop is cool as hell. The intricacies of how the factions work, and the factionless... So interesting. But the prose. Ugh.

This series is something my wife asked me to read to her at night. So I am obliging. She loves it. I find myself correcting the prose as I go, but sometimes I don't feel like putting in the effort. The other day it got so bad that my wife was like "Is that really what it says? You're messing with me, it doesn't really say that!" I had to show her the book so that she would believe me.

message 14: by Izzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Izzy I love them both. The book had the deaths of Will, her mom, and her father, too abrupt. But the movie did the best it could to make them mean something more to Tris than in the book. But the book had captured more of her thoughts which is always better.

message 15: by Nicole (last edited Aug 08, 2014 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole I preferred the book.

I was so upset when I saw the movie because I was so excited beforehand and then they just ruined it! This movie was a huge let down compared to the book. Some things I hated about the movie:

1. They didn't include Edward getting stabbed in the eye. I thought this was pretty important so you understood why they tried to kill Tris later.

2. The whole ending scene with Jeanne. It did not happen the same way as it did in the book and didn't look anything like I thought it would.

3. The dorms didn't look at all how I imagined them. I think they were supposed to have bunk beds and a one person bathroom, not an open bathroom?

4. They made them burn their old faction clothes. That never happened in the book because Tris kept her old faction clothes and wore them to bed at one point! I don't think that would have been the worst thing to add because it would have showed a softer side of Tris and showed that it is hard to switch factions.

5. I personally did not like the actor they chose for Tris (I don't remember her name) I feel like she didn't bring enough emotion to the character. She was so stone faced and serious. I could see she was trying, but not hard enough. I don't know I just didn't connect with Tris the way I did in the book.

Overall, I pretty much hated the movie, but loved the book. I hope they do better with Insurgent and Allegiant (I don't know how to spell that. Ugh!)

message 16: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Elizabeth wrote: "the book... Tris's character is more passionate than in the movie. The whole time I was thinking "really this is their portrayal of her after reading the book?""

I had the exact same thought!

Nicole I know right! I had such higher expectations for this movie, especially because it was so popular!

Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir It's been over a year since I read the book and I just saw the movie.

I liked them both. I know there are differences between them but I would have to read the book again to remember. I haven't read the rest of the series which I might do once I've read the book again.

One thing though, I hate this new trend when a book series is made into movies they split the last book in two.

message 19: by Cati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cati I read the book based on a friend's recommendation. When she described it I wasn't too jazzed about it because it sounded similar to The Hunger Games which I really disliked (and will not watch the movies). But, I read it anyway. I don't think it was the most well-written book, but I did like the character development and the plot.

I don't think I've ever liked the movie more than the book, and that holds true in this case. There were so many nuances in the book that added a lot to the overall story that were completely missed in the movie.

I also agree that the actress playing Tris, Shailene Woodley, did not portray her in the way I read her to be. I saw her in The Fault In Our Stars and didn't care for her in that, either. I did really like the guy who played Four, though, Theo James. He was cast well.

Is Hollywood planning to capitalize on the trilogy? I assume they are. I hope they do a better job with the details in the future movies.

message 20: by Cati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cati Gunnhildur wrote: "...One thing though, I hate this new trend when a book series is made into movies they split the last book in two. "

I completely agree with you! It's all about the money.

TheBohemianBookworm Nicole wrote: "I preferred the book.

I was so upset when I saw the movie because I was so excited beforehand and then they just ruined it! This movie was a huge let down compared to the book. Some things I hated..."

I feel the opposite! Book Tris was TOO stone faced. I thought Shailene gave her some life!

Hannah Rahman i preferred the book. they completely mucked up the movie. Especially, the characters!

Zeynab I was actually quite surprised with how put together the movie was...not half as bad as other adaptations especially when divergent was one of those books with an unnecessary amount of detail.I was already judging the movie before I watched it, because I have the book bias obviously, but not too bad and it didn't hurt that four was...you know...

Jayne I really enjoyed the movie but one of the biggest changes I noticed was when Tris was apparently kicked out but chose to catch the train anyway and Eric did not care whatsoever. Like the Eric in the book would have thrown her off the train for disobeying him

Andrew Marquez Annie wrote: "I prefer the book over the movie even though the movie was good and had some things that I liked better than the book. Like the ending when they made Jeanne (I don't know how to spell her name. U..."

They have a deleted scene of Edward getting stabbed in the eye in the special features section of the movie.

message 27: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz For what might possibly be the first time ever, I preferred the movie.
It might have something to do with the fact that I watched it first, then again maybe not.
Usually, particularly with The Hunger Games, no matter how well I think they made the movie, the book can always provide extra details that the movie has no time for, particularly when it comes to relationships and characters. However, with Divergent, I kept waiting for things I saw in the movie to happen in the book, but they never did. Which is interesting because usually movies take out things that were in the book... however with Divergent they added that climax at the end where Jeanine refuses to shut down the simulation, and Tris and Four make her do it by injection her with the serum. I loved that, I thought it was brilliant. And then it wasn't in the book. It's interesting, because they don't usually add to the plot in movies. I thought the ending of the book was quite anticlimactic, though that might've just been because I kept expecting Jeanine to burst in but she never did.

Also in the movie they added that whole thing where Four was teaching Tris to react to the simulations in a logical, Dauntless manner and 'solve' them, rather than doing the impossible with the knowledge that it's not real like a Divergent. That made a lot of sense to me, and I missed it in the book.

Mattie I liked the books better.It was amazing to see the book come to life,but they missed a big part of Tris and Tobias's relationship.Shailene Woodley seemed to be okay,just that she didn't look like her.I loved Theo James,though.