NYRB Classics discussion

General > What's Coming!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
Rather than keep the forthcoming folder going (it's hard!), I thought we could keep a thread for what's coming that excites us.

So, for example, I just saw that next year NYRB Classics will be publishing John William's debut novel, Nothing But the Night:

Nothing But the Night by John Williams

Williams wrote the novel while in the Army Air Corps. He didn't really like his debut, and it remains the only thing of his that I haven't sought out to read (this is not hard since he wrote only four novels and there are only a few excerpts of his final, unfinished novel available in a few old magazines and journals). Still, I'm very excited by this news! I have a feeling he still had some good stuff even then.

message 2: by Aditya (new)

Aditya Pareek (cabinmarine) And his poetry collections there's 2 of them if I recall correctly. Haven't been able to find them on a recognisable publisher's catalogue till date.

message 3: by Dax (new)

Dax | 17 comments I'm really excited about Omer Pasha Latas, scheduled for release in October. Historical fiction based in the Ottoman Empire. Sounds like it could be an epic along the lines of "Long Ships." Has anyone on here read a previous edition?

message 4: by Trevor (new)

Uwe Johnson's Anniversaries is coming out in a massive box set this October. It's been a great year already for NYRB Classics, but I think this is one of their best releases ever.

Anniversaries From a Year in the Life of Gesine Cresspahl by Uwe Johnson

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason (uberzensch) | 83 comments Have you read Anniversaries, Trevor? It looks very intriguing, but over 1700 pages - wow!

message 6: by Trevor (new)

I'm reading it right now! It is surprisingly quick. It's set up to be a single entry every day for a year, so because no segment is particularly long the book moves along. It's also just a very good read!

message 7: by Trevor (new)

This listing for a new anthology just popped up on Amazon -- and I cannot wait for some details!

The Red Thread: 20 Years of NYRB Classics

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason (uberzensch) | 83 comments Wow! Interest piqued.

message 9: by Louise (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
Trevor wrote: "This listing for a new anthology just popped up on Amazon -- and I cannot wait for some details!

The Red Thread: 20 Years of NYRB Classics"

Ooooh, we need the inside scoop on this one!

message 10: by WndyJW (last edited Dec 10, 2018 05:16PM) (new)

WndyJW | 288 comments It looks like The Red Thread is only an e-book. Can that be right?

Is nyrb Lit a collection of modern novels?

message 11: by Louise (last edited Dec 10, 2018 05:55PM) (new)

I think they are all contemporary novels. I have them all on my ereader and have yet to read any. I have so many books I want to read that I forget about most of them until I am reminded again. Book clubs keep me on track. Maybe we should add a page here for NYRB Lit series for those who might want to read some together as a buddy read.

message 12: by Trevor (new)

There is a folder for Other NYRB imprints (children’s, poets, Caligrams, etc.). I’d recommend putting it there so folks can see the riches.

Also, I see the print edition on there, Wendy, so I think they’ll have a lovely paperback out of The Red Thread.

message 13: by Louise (new)

Trevor wrote: "There is a folder for Other NYRB imprints (children’s, poets, Caligrams, etc.). I’d recommend putting it there so folks can see the riches.
.."

Done already ;-)

message 14: by Mirko (new)

Mirko | 77 comments Can't wait for it to be available in stores. :-)